Auckland question

shuguley

My wife and I are taking the Auckland to Sidney cruise on Mariner in early January. Our flight schedule going out is horrendous but not much I can do about it even after trying, at the earliest allowable date, flight deviations and even flight differentials.

We are scheduled to fly from San Francisco, departing around 8:00 PM local time and arriving Auckland around 5:15 AM. Regent has us booked at the Langham Hotel and, after checking their website, I find that check in at the hotel is not until 3:00 PM.

We will have been in the process of air travel for about 23 hours when we finally arrive in Auckland. After landing, it will be another 10 hours before we can officially check in. (Really I think I'm getting too old for this.)

Just wondering if others have faced this or a similar schedule? Were any accommodations or considerations made to allow earlier check in at your hotel? Wondering what you did for 10 hours? Any suggestions or recommendations welcomed.

You did not indicate if this is an include night for concierge and above or you merely had Regent book the room for you. I checked the Langham Hotel and found the standard room for 2 people on January 4 is $195 NZ, which is about $153 US. (Not sure if that's the correct date) An option would be book a room for an extra day. I don't know what Regent would say the cost would be.

It depends on how willing you are to risk being able to get into your room early. If you booked the extra day, even though you wouldn't use it until early mroning, it would be waiting for you. When we flew to Melbourne from Indianapolis, via LA and Sydney, we were fortunate to be able to get into our hotel when we arrived. I'm not sure what I would have done - probably fallen asleep in the lobby - if wasn't ready!

When we took a cruise from Auckland and had similar flights a few years back, those passengers who had booked through Regent got to check in immediately. Those of us who had made our own arrangements did not get to check in until the regular check in time. Ever since that trip, we always ensure we can check-in to a hotel upon arrival. IMO, it is well worth the cost.

Has your TA asked Regent if they have made arrangements for people who are arriving on the early flight? If all of your arrangements are through Regent, I cannot imagine that they would have you wait 10 hours to check in to your hotel without having some plan in place.

If there is no early check-in being provided, I would contact the Langham and describe your situation to them. They might agree to give you an early check-in, and, if not, if you have to pay for the room it will be less expensive than booking an extra night through Regent.

We bit the bullet on our upcoming Crystal cruise from Singapore. We arrive at 0330 and booked the Ritz Carlton for an early check-in. Check-in there is 1500 as well. Our travel time will be about the same after a sop I HKG. We are not spending over eleven hours in a lobby. We want our shower and our robes to relax and sleep. We are in Suite class on Singapore Airlines which should provide some sleep. No sitting around for us in a lobby for over ten hours.:eek:

BTW, the Lanham is a great hotel. You are taking a chance that a room will be available but no guarantee. Also if you are Amex Platinum or Centurion they may be able to help.

Edited by Suite Travels

Thanks for all the great suggestions. All of our travel arrangements have been made through Regent, we have a Penthouse B suite and will be flying business class so that will certainly help. We are taking the included one night pre-cruise hotel in Auckland and then an optional one extra night in Sidney.

I have a great local TA and, as we get closer to actual departure, have her contact Regent to see if arrangements have been made for early check in at Auckland.

Thank you all again for your insight and input.

Edited by shuguley

Based on the excellent recommendations all of you have offered, I have sent a message to my TA to go ahead and call Regent to see if they have made arrangements for early check-in. If Regent has not then we will buy another night at the Langham to insure there will be a room waiting.

Thanks again to all.