Currency Question

Millaar37

Most ships use U.S. dollars as the "default" currency. I imagine either would be acceptable to a crew member, tho!

The easiest way is to just have it added to your account, then the ship has to deal with that issue!

Hi, First time Cruiser & First time poster!!

My Question is , when on a mediterranean cruise, should you tip in Dollars or Euros?

Either - or both.

A convenient way of parting with unspent euros, topped up as neccessary with USD. Euros are equally as acceptable as USD to crew in the Med

John Bull

Most ships use U.S. dollars as the "default" currency. I imagine either would be acceptable to a crew member, tho!

The easiest way is to just have it added to your account, then the ship has to deal with that issue!

Either - or both.

A convenient way of parting with unspent euros, topped up as neccessary with USD. Euros are equally as acceptable as USD to crew in the Med

John Bull

Cheers for the prompt responses.

The reception on a sterling ship (P&O), said the staff MUST be tipped in pounds; the bar and wait staff said they liked getting euros as they spent most of their time in the Med, and didn't have to change money.

Jo.

While I think the major currency of the area would be most appropriate.... the multinational crew members will take any currency you care to give them. Money is Money. Euros, Pounds and US$ seem to be the norm.

I have never in all my travels found anyone who would not take the US$ as a tip.

Just an interesting note: Just a few years ago, the Canadians used to love US$'s for tips back when the CAD was at 75% or less of the US Dollar. These days, CAD is almost right inline with the US$ and the Canadians no longer hold the attraction for it.

Just a joke here :p: How does that go: United States of Americanada :eek:

To the OP- if you're from the Republic, just stick to €€€, unless you've some $$$ to use up. We normally take any foreign currency, and use up spare $$ this way.

Jo.

To the OP- if you're from the Republic, just stick to €€€, unless you've some $$$ to use up. We normally take any foreign currency, and use up spare $$ this way.

Jo.

Thanks for the advice jocap:)

I was wondering the same thing as I'm doing a Med cruise in the summer and was confused about what currency to use for tipping. I'm prepaying my tips but was going to have a little extra for maybe room service or the kids club staff.

I was wondering the same thing as I'm doing a Med cruise in the summer and was confused about what currency to use for tipping. I'm prepaying my tips but was going to have a little extra for maybe room service or the kids club staff.

It's really not worth while buying dollars, if you're using €€s in the Med....a lot of expense, and the staff can spend €€s ashore.

Jo.

• 2 months later...

Archived