From the Bridge: Will Millennials Change the Way We [River] Cruise?

Host Jazzbeau

Some of this is a good idea. Talking with 40 somethings aboard Viking Sea their only cruise criticism was lack of more adventurous optional tours. Back to river ships, the focus of the article. I'd think that more options to bike from stop to stop alongside the route would be great; or busses to/from bike route options. Kayak trips, where feasible. Possible cruise organized reserved venue onshore late night dance etc. parties at nearby clubs. A bus back to the ship makes this a safer option and avoids the nerdy dancing with earphones experience.

I wish Uniworld success in their market innovation.

I think this could become a BIG deal with in 5 years. The reason, it may force the river cruise companies ( and may be the ocean liners) to start enforcing physical limitation standards on tours.

How often do we see river boat cruisers refuse to go in the "slow" group tours and then bringing the tour they join to a near stand still. Plus, those same people will do it day after day! I've been on tours, where we missed 40% of the scheduled sights because we constantly stood and waited for those not capable of keeping up.

If Uniworld starts advertising more action based tours, they will have to enforce participation standards, or the program will come crashing down on their heads with a lot of bad PR. People might get one chance, but if they can't keep up with the Group, they'll not be allowed be thwart the other tours day after day, which is now a practice. This can have huge positive future ramifications!

New Article on Cruise Critic [about U by Uniworld]:

From the Bridge: Will Millennials Change the Way We Cruise?

https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=8018

Love these ideas and I have commented in the past about those of us who are repeat river cruisers - offer different experiences in the ports for those who have done the routine tours (museums, churches, etc.) so we don't feel like we are paying for a deja vu cruise.

Cole