Panama confusion

dianeh

I've begun research for a Panama Cruise in 2016. We definately want to stop at Colon or Fuerte Amador to take the Embera Tour. I thought I had it figured out.....full transit with the stops. Since we only want to travel in Feb or Mar, I only saw Princess with this itinerary. But now I think I got it wrong. Can someone please give me a Panama 101 education? Thanks so much!

Thanks Bill but unfortunately that cruise is in 2015 and we are looking for 2016. However, this board has enlightened me alot since my first post. I have scoured the Feb/Mar sailings and realize there are several that do stop but only for a short time. In order to do the Embera Village we will require a full day docked. That will certainly limit us. I also had just assumed full transit would get us a docking in Colin or Fuente Amador but that also doesn't seem the case. I am learning alot it seems. Good thing I am starting this search early!

Thanks again

Diane

It's too bad the Princess ships don't seem to stop at the pier at Colon any more. There was a great craft market at the old pier. The ships don't seem to have the excursions available leaving from Gatun Lake that were picked up at the pier.

The old pier was demolished several years ago to make room for more container space. I agree, the Indigenous craft market was a great loss.

On the turn-around cruises, like ISLAND PRINCESS, that are 10-11 days from Fort Lauderdale, the ships still go through Gatun Locks, drop off people for excursions while in Gatun Lake, return through Gatun Locks, and pick up folks on excursions in Colon.

Regards, Richard

As far as I know, Princess and HAL use Ft. Amador (a tendered port) when they include a full day port call in conjunction with a Canal transit. On the other hand Celebrity and RCI have been using Colon (docked) with their full day port call either the day prior to or the day after a Canal transit. This season and last season Celebrity and RCI have included a full day port call with all their Canal transits, while the extra full day in Panama is only available on select cruises with Princess and HAL.

As Richard mentioned Princess will stop in Colon when they are operating the partial transit cruises that turn around in Gatun Lake after locking up at Gatun Locks. HAL also offers a partial transit cruise and will make a short port call in Colon just as Princess does to pick up the shore ex passengers. That stop is usually a short one, only three hours or so.

• 2 weeks later...

@BillB48

Hey thanks for that screenshot and link -- I was (idly) looking for a full-transit cruise that did not stop in all of those Mexican Riviera ports AND sailed during the (slightly) less humid months, which I read were January and February... "your" cruise is first half of March, but that's close! I know Panama and Cartagena will still be sweltering, but at Puerto Quetzal I think one can book a air-conditioned bus to take you to the higher/cooler town of Antigua... Maybe get a cabana on Aruba...

• 3 weeks later...

I am happy that I looked around and found this thread. I too am looking toward 2016 for a full transit through the Panama Canal. Just now trying to figure which way would be best for all of us that want to do this trip.

I have interest in this trip from fellow 'past' cruise friends that live in Canada (eastern ) Boston, Connecticut, possibly California, and of course here in Phoenix. I am just really in the initial planning stages, and have not really gotten a chance to go through every single cruise line/itinerary.

I do like the idea of a two day (in the Panama area) trip. That would give us the opportunity to really see the area I think. I don't have much desire to see a lot of Mexico...... living just a couple of hours away from Mexico, we have visited enough.

So again, I look forward to see what is posted here..................... I also look forward to contributing as much as I can (which right now is very little) :p

I am happy that I looked around and found this thread. I too am looking toward 2016 for a full transit through the Panama Canal. Just now trying to figure which way would be best for all of us that want to do this trip.

I have interest in this trip from fellow 'past' cruise friends that live in Canada (eastern ) Boston, Connecticut, possibly California, and of course here in Phoenix. I am just really in the initial planning stages, and have not really gotten a chance to go through every single cruise line/itinerary.

I do like the idea of a two day (in the Panama area) trip. That would give us the opportunity to really see the area I think. I don't have much desire to see a lot of Mexico...... living just a couple of hours away from Mexico, we have visited enough.

So again, I look forward to see what is posted here..................... I also look forward to contributing as much as I can (which right now is very little) :p

We have just booked on Seabourn Odyssey from Los Angeles 21 March 2016. It has a full day in Fuerte Amador (8am - 11.59pm) before full transit of the Canal. I am particularly excited about the Whale watching en route to the canal.

We have just booked on Seabourn Odyssey from Los Angeles 21 March 2016. It has a full day in Fuerte Amador (8am - 11.59pm) before full transit of the Canal. I am particularly excited about the Whale watching en route to the canal.

Wow... sounds like you have a great cruise planned !!

The Mexican towns you see on a cruise are very different from the towns directly south of the border.

Oh I know..... We've been to the interior also. Just not our most fave destinations though. Kind of like the Caribbean for us, another place that is not high on our particular bucket list.

• 2 months later...
Thanks Bill but unfortunately that cruise is in 2015 and we are looking for 2016. However, this board has enlightened me alot since my first post. I have scoured the Feb/Mar sailings and realize there are several that do stop but only for a short time. In order to do the Embera Village we will require a full day docked. That will certainly limit us. I also had just assumed full transit would get us a docking in Colin or Fuente Amador but that also doesn't seem the case. I am learning alot it seems. Good thing I am starting this search early!

Thanks again

Diane

Diane, did you ever figure out what Panama Canal cruise you may consider taking. I am again looking at the Panama canal for March 2016. I noted that the Celebrity Infinity ship is one that offers a day in Colon in conjunction withThe canal transit

Still trying to decide, and know I need to make a decision pretty soon.

Any thoughts?

Edited by Buck1949

Hi Bill:

I'm not Diane but we have booked (refundable deposits) 2 adjoining cabins (mini-suite and balcony) on the Island Princess, Feb 18-Mar 04 2016, same itinerary as posted in message #3 above. Everything about this cruise just "clicked" -- the schedule, the direction (LA is our home port, and we will rent a car and zip down to the Keys after cruise, and still make it back for an obligation in March), and what I consider the perfect cabins were available.

This is a repeat-in-the-other-direction Canal cruise for DH and I, and a first cruise/first Canal for my sister and her husband.

Diane, did you ever figure out what Panama Canal cruise you may consider taking. I am again looking at the Panama canal for March 2016. I noted that the Celebrity Infinity ship is one that offers a day in Colon in conjunction withThe canal transit

Still trying to decide, and know I need to make a decision pretty soon.

Any thoughts?

I am not Diane but have done three full canal transits, including one on the Infinity. The Infinity is a great ship for a PC transit.

Hi Bill:

I'm not Diane but we have booked (refundable deposits) 2 adjoining cabins (mini-suite and balcony) on the Island Princess, Feb 18-Mar 04 2016, same itinerary as posted in message #3 above. Everything about this cruise just "clicked" -- the schedule, the direction (LA is our home port, and we will rent a car and zip down to the Keys after cruise, and still make it back for an obligation in March), and what I consider the perfect cabins were available.

This is a repeat-in-the-other-direction Canal cruise for DH and I, and a first cruise/first Canal for my sister and her husband.

Hi there,

Thanks for the information. I actually have the Island Princess on my list of those to consider during March 2016. The itinerary shows a very interesting stop in Aruba but I did not see that (Beyond going through the canal locks) that the Island Princess stopped near the canal/locks. We are kind of hoping to be able to take a look at the locks/Canal via a land excursion. I have been looking at the Celebrity Infinity which stops in Colon for 10 hours if we cruise from Miami to San Diego on March 27. Interestingly it does not stop there on the cruise from San Diego back to Miami on April 11.

Lots of things to consider, and I am trying to do a lot of research as we have potentially about five couples that may want to travel on the Panama Canal cruise.

Any suggestions or thoughts are most appreciated.

Edited by Buck1949

I am not Diane but have done three full canal transits, including one on the Infinity. The Infinity is a great ship for a PC transit.

Thanks for the information. I am definitely interested in the Celebrity Infinity, as I mentioned that we were interested in possibly making a stop off ship near the canal/locks.

Did you find that the Celebrity stop worthwhile in Colon? On your other cruises through the canal did any cruise line make stops around the locks?

Again, any information is helpful as I'm trying to plan (and please) for a majority of five or so couples that may take this trip.

In the "for what it's worth" department... a Canal itinerary that includes either docked in Colon or tendering at Ft. Amador is big plus. Panama's big ticket attraction of course is the Canal, but there are also a lot of other great things to and see. Certainly well worth the effort in trying to plan an itinerary that has a full day stop in Panama.

In the "for what it's worth" department... a Canal itinerary that includes either docked in Colon or tendering at Ft. Amador is big plus. Panama's big ticket attraction of course is the Canal, but there are also a lot of other great things to and see. Certainly well worth the effort in trying to plan an itinerary that has a full day stop in Panama.

Bill, I appreciate your comment about stopping in Colon... but I need to try and pick your brain a bit more if you don't mind. Last evening my wife and I did some YouTube searches for Colon, and quite frankly became concerned about even going there. Most of the videos that we watched makes the area appear extremely blighted and there were several references to the concern for the amount of criminal activity around the city. One video even made the comment that the traveler never wanted to be in the city after dark.

I am kind of the organizer of this trip and want to make sure (as possible) that our group feels comfortable with all of our excursions or travels.

Can you give me your thoughts about the city in general and excursions in the area?

Thanks in advance for any information you can provide.

There is no denying that Colon is an unmitigated dump, the good thing is there is nothing for the tourist to do there! What all the warnings are about is you just don't want to head out of the secure areas at the port with a Fodor's Travel Guide in hand on a self guided walking tour along with your expensive cameras slung around your neck along and your diamond encrusted Rolex glittering in the tropical sunshine. Being perfectly honest, traveling through Colon on a tour bus or even a cab you can hire at the pier, you are not putting yourself in harms way whatsoever. Just about every large city has similar areas that you avoid, in this sense Colon is one of those areas.

Taking a ship sponsored excursion or one that you have arranged privately or even just hiring a cab at the pier for a quick ride to Gatun Locks... your biggest danger is your tour guide might be a dud. Whether your decide to go over to the Pacific side to Panama City's offerings such as the ruins of Old Panama, the Casco Viejo along with modern Panama City or take in a visit to the Embera Indians, see more of the Canal don't let the Colon horror stories keep you from enjoying the many great things Panama has to offer.

If it makes you feel any better, I used to live not too terribly far from Colon for a number of years and much of it then was to avoided just as it is now. Granted Colon has not improved over the years, but the shopping area at the pier is perfectly safe to browse around. Once you meet your excursion you will be quickly outside of Colon and on your way.

Go and enjoy! Any other questions or concerns feel free.

There is no denying that Colon is an unmitigated dump, the good thing is there is nothing for the tourist to do there! What all the warnings are about is you just don't want to head out of the secure areas at the port with a Fodor's Travel Guide in hand on a self guided walking tour along with your expensive cameras slung around your neck along and your diamond encrusted Rolex glittering in the tropical sunshine. Being perfectly honest, traveling through Colon on a tour bus or even a cab you can hire at the pier, you are not putting yourself in harms way whatsoever. Just about every large city has similar areas that you avoid, in this sense Colon is one of those areas.

Taking a ship sponsored excursion or one that you have arranged privately or even just hiring a cab at the pier for a quick ride to Gatun Locks... your biggest danger is your tour guide might be a dud. Whether your decide to go over to the Pacific side to Panama City's offerings such as the ruins of Old Panama, the Casco Viejo along with modern Panama City or take in a visit to the Embera Indians, see more of the Canal don't let the Colon horror stories keep you from enjoying the many great things Panama has to offer.

If it makes you feel any better, I used to live not too terribly far from Colon for a number of years and much of it then was to avoided just as it is now. Granted Colon has not improved over the years, but the shopping area at the pier is perfectly safe to browse around. Once you meet your excursion you will be quickly outside of Colon and on your way.

Go and enjoy! Any other questions or concerns feel free.

Thanks again for your insight......it makes us feel a bit better.

At present it seems that Celebrity Infinity (westbound) is the only full transit that does stop in Colon, that also has stops in Cabo San Lucas, and Puerto Vallarta that we have an interest. Granted I have not looked at every single cruise line... So there may be others that offer Colon and other cities we may be interested in seeing - if not Cabo and Vallarta.

We are trying to go in March and do a full transit, and keep to 15 nights, as a few of the travelers are working stiffs er still working..:eek:

Any other thoughts are always welcome..... My email is listed below my signature if you care to communicate that way.

Booked the Celebrity Infinity Westbound Panama Canal for March 27, 2016.

Thanks for all the information provided....it sure helped us make a decision. If anyone has any thoughts, suggestions, ideas, or comments.... please feel free to pass them along.

The rest of the work begins.!!

Booked the Celebrity Infinity Westbound Panama Canal for March 27, 2016.

Thanks for all the information provided....it sure helped us make a decision. If anyone has any thoughts, suggestions, ideas, or comments.... please feel free to pass them along.

The rest of the work begins.!!

Great... the easy part has been done! Now the hardest part, waiting for the cruise!! The good thing is you will have ample time to do some digging up background info. Of course the book of record is Path Between the Seas, but there are other reads that can add to your Canal cruise as well. Another book I enjoyed was Panama Fever by Matthew Parker, he also provided some commentary for the PBS program American Experience on the Canal (link to the program below). Let's not forget fellow poster here on Cruise Critic, Richard in Panama's book Panama Canal Day. Richard's (Detrich) book will give you a good overview of Canal history, but also provide you with a lot of topical info on your transit.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/americanexperience/films/panama/player/

Great... the easy part has been done! Now the hardest part, waiting for the cruise!! The good thing is you will have ample time to do some digging up background info. Of course the book of record is Path Between the Seas, but there are other reads that can add to your Canal cruise as well. Another book I enjoyed was Panama Fever by Matthew Parker, he also provided some commentary for the PBS program American Experience on the Canal (link to the program below). Let's not forget fellow poster here on Cruise Critic, Richard in Panama's book Panama Canal Day. Richard's (Detrich) book will give you a good overview of Canal history, but also provide you with a lot of topical info on your transit.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/americanexperience/films/panama/player/

Great information.... I'm looking through all of it now. Once again, thank you!!