Transportation ticket questions

lovestocruise325

I have seen mixed reports as to whether or not tickets can be used for the ferry. Has anyone recently used tickets for the ferry? Also, I read that tickets can be purchased at post offices. Has anyone recently done that and if so, is there one close to Dockyard?

I just got back today. I had these same questions about tickets. We decided to take the bus from Dockard to st George. It takes a bit more time but buses run more frequently than ferrys so it may have been a wash. When you buy your token from the dockyard, tell the attendant your final destination ($4 for a 14 zone). When you board the bus, tell the driver you final destination and they will give you a free transfer. When you make your transfer in the Hamilton bus transfer station, the ticket office is right there, between all the buses. Buy your 14 zone, 15 pack for $30. We used these for the two of us during the three days on buses and ferries. The last day we were short a ticket and the dockyard attendant sold us a three zone ticket for $2.50 since we were only going to Daniels head. Of course you may the day passes easier.

Brad

We were just there in June, and the answer to your questions is that the bus pass is good for all buses and the ferries. There is a ticket booth for getting the day passes that are good for both buses and ferries; it’s right next to the ship's gangway at Dockyard. At the booth you can get the one day or two day transportation tickets. You need cash. $15 per person for a one day pass, $25 per person for a two day pass.

We used the bus to travel all the way over to St George's and then back to Hamilton where we caught the ferry back to Dockyard.

We're going back on Vision of the Seas in August and will again purchase the pass as it really was an interesting way to tour the island on our own.

Perhaps I wasn't clear previously. There are three ways to pay your fare on buses and ferries. By coin token, paper ticket or transportation pass. Both bus and ferry will take any one of these options. The coin tokens and transportation passes are available at the booth in the dockyard. The 15 paper tickets for $30 are only available at Hamilton bus center.

Brad

Perhaps I wasn't clear previously. There are three ways to pay your fare on buses and ferries. By coin token, paper ticket or transportation pass. Both bus and ferry will take any one of these options. The coin tokens and transportation passes are available at the booth in the dockyard. The 15 paper tickets for $30 are only available at Hamilton bus center.

Brad

they are also available at the Post office. The paper tickets never expire.

Thank you everyone! I read that the tickets were available for purchase at post offices as well and just wondered if there was one near where we dock. Otherwise we will use a token to go to Hamilton and buy the tickets there.

Looks like the closest post office to the Dockyard is Mangrove Bay (about 3 miles), but I don't know whether they sell tickets.

It appears that the decision not to sell tickets at the Dockyard is a strategy to get tourists to pay more for the bus than locals, which is understandable.

I just got back today. I had these same questions about tickets. We decided to take the bus from Dockard to st George. It takes a bit more time but buses run more frequently than ferrys so it may have been a wash. When you buy your token from the dockyard, tell the attendant your final destination ($4 for a 14 zone). When you board the bus, tell the driver you final destination and they will give you a free transfer. When you make your transfer in the Hamilton bus transfer station, the ticket office is right there, between all the buses. Buy your 14 zone, 15 pack for $30. We used these for the two of us during the three days on buses and ferries. The last day we were short a ticket and the dockyard attendant sold us a three zone ticket for $2.50 since we were only going to Daniels head. Of course you may the day passes easier.

Brad

How was Daniels Head? I'm thinking of going there in October. Did you notice how much the lounge chair rentals were? Are there bathrooms?