tipping on private tour in St. Petersburg

10% is recommended as the norm.

Any common currency.

Although we didn't expect any need for Roubles, we always find it reassuring to have some local currency in our pockets. We got that amount in Roubles before our cruise, spent a little on beers in a place that accepted only Roubles, & made up the difference in Euros.

JB :)

• 2 weeks later...
10% is recommended as the norm.

Any common currency.

Although we didn't expect any need for Roubles, we always find it reassuring to have some local currency in our pockets. We got that amount in Roubles before our cruise, spent a little on beers in a place that accepted only Roubles, & made up the difference in Euros.

Is that per person or as a couple 10% just curious?

I was told it's 10% of whatever the total tour was - so if for the 4 of you it was X amount then you give the guide 10% of that. Also, if you have a driver you should probably tip him about 5% of the tour price.

Just my opinion.

Same thing, isn't it?? :confused:

However you split it between you, 10% of the total tour cost.

In our case that worked out at 15 bucks from each of us per day.

Or am I missing something??

Tip based on the level of service you have received rather than on an arbitrary %..The personal attention you will receive from your guide and driver when booking a "private" tour will amaze you...Enjoy !! Ours from TJ Travel gave the two of us the experience of a lifetime !!

Tip based on the level of service you have received rather than on an arbitrary %..The personal attention you will receive from your guide and driver when booking a "private" tour will amaze you...Enjoy !! Ours from TJ Travel gave the two of us the experience of a lifetime !!

People need to have an idea because in some countries tips aren't a common thing, and when you do tip you want to know what is customary.

I know some people who will cut corners any chance they get, so telling them a firm number at least means the guide and driver won't be stiffed.

Alla suggested 10%. What I didn't realize is that they will not include it in the credit card payment. I paid in Euros and did have 10% with me. I might have done a bit more but all the other money was in the room safe and having the Euros was actually an oversite from the day before. I know my guide got Euros and US dollars.

Archived