Barcelona - things to do and any tips?

wheeldon

TC2: FYI, this is the Pinotxo dude made famous by Samantha Brown. He's the one on the left with the choppers. On the right is The Boss.

P4030760_zpsbebebe89.jpg

For all of yous, and especially Wheeldon, you are going to have a great time. If all else fails, order a "vino tinto," say "gracias," and then have a few more until you turn invisible.

I really need a vacation at this time! My job is getting finicky, my bone spurs are acting up to the point that I got a cortisone shot today, and somebody hid the damned Ovaltine in the house.

We are heading out to Vero Beach next Friday and Saturday for a marathon bike ride followed by a quick Disney Dream Carib cruise just to regain our sanity, but nothing compared to being back on the Med with The Boss sailing Homer's ''wine-dark sea.''

Z and TB

You are so funny:D I give up - what is a vino tinto (or do I have to look it up?) Thankfully a friend on ours will be on upcoming cruise and speaks Spanish so I will not feel as deficient as I sometimes feel in countries where I do not know the language. Gracias por la recomendación de restaurante usted. Realmente aprecio tus mensajes (if that sentence was wrong, blame Google).

Does your cortisone shot enable you to do a marathon bike ride? I'm impressed. I have cortisone in my knee which keeps me going but there is no way I could ride a bike further than a block. Have a wonderful time on the Disney Dream. We'll be on the Mariner at the same time. The Mariner will help us regain our sanity as well. We'll be seeing people that we haven't seen in a long time (too long).

Safe travels. Hope we sail together some day!

Edited by Travelcat2

"Vino" is Spanish for wine, so you may wonder why they say "vino tinto" instead of simply "vino rojo" ("rojo" meaning "red"). The word "tinto" comes from the Latin word "tinctus," which means "tinted" or "dyed." In wine-making, red grapes are used to tint white grapes until the liquid turns a red or darker color. Thus, vino tinto is not merely red grape-based, but can represent a blend of different wine varietals.

Tinto de verano is our favourite and is on tap,cold and refreshing...

It is simpler than sangria, normally made up of 1 part of table red wine and 1 part gaseosa. Gaseosa is a general term for sodas and carbonated drinks, but the preferred mixer is a mild-flavored, low-sugar, carbonated lemonade, of which La Casera is the best known brand. Proportions can vary greatly according to the taste of every individual. Traditional-flavored gaseosa can be replicated by mixing Sprite or 7-Up with carbonated water.

"Vino" is Spanish for wine, so you may wonder why they say "vino tinto" instead of simply "vino rojo" ("rojo" meaning "red"). The word "tinto" comes from the Latin word "tinctus," which means "tinted" or "dyed." In wine-making, red grapes are used to tint white grapes until the liquid turns a red or darker color. Thus, vino tinto is not merely red grape-based, but can represent a blend of different wine varietals.

Tinto de verano is our favourite and is on tap,cold and refreshing...

It is simpler than sangria, normally made up of 1 part of table red wine and 1 part gaseosa. Gaseosa is a general term for sodas and carbonated drinks, but the preferred mixer is a mild-flavored, low-sugar, carbonated lemonade, of which La Casera is the best known brand. Proportions can vary greatly according to the taste of every individual. Traditional-flavored gaseosa can be replicated by mixing Sprite or 7-Up with carbonated water.

There you have it! I was going to say the same thing. ;) Thanks!

I am a certified Sangria addict and will try your recipe.

TC2: You've got to try some tinto de verano in BCN and report back to us.

Z and TB

You are so funny:D I give up - what is a vino tinto (or do I have to look it up?) Thankfully a friend on ours will be on upcoming cruise and speaks Spanish so I will not feel as deficient as I sometimes feel in countries where I do not know the language. Gracias por la recomendación de restaurante usted. Realmente aprecio tus mensajes (if that sentence was wrong, blame Google).

Does your cortisone shot enable you to do a marathon bike ride? I'm impressed. I have cortisone in my knee which keeps me going but there is no way I could ride a bike further than a block. Have a wonderful time on the Disney Dream. We'll be on the Mariner at the same time. The Mariner will help us regain our sanity as well. We'll be seeing people that we haven't seen in a long time (too long).

Safe travels. Hope we sail together some day!

I had the shot yesterday on my heel and feel much better already. Bikes have not bothered me, but this recent ailment really slowed me down; whenever it was flaring up, I could barely walk anywhere from the agonizing pain. We are walkers whenever touring and it would break my heart not to be able to wall the streets of our favorite European cities.

Have a great cruise onboard the Mariner. Do you plan to do a live report? Say hello to the Chilean bartender in the Mariner lounge if she is still there!

I had the shot yesterday on my heel and feel much better already. Bikes have not bothered me, but this recent ailment really slowed me down; whenever it was flaring up, I could barely walk anywhere from the agonizing pain. We are walkers whenever touring and it would break my heart not to be able to wall the streets of our favorite European cities.

Have a great cruise onboard the Mariner. Do you plan to do a live report? Say hello to the Chilean bartender in the Mariner lounge if she is still there!

If I knew your first name it would be easier to say hello to the Chilean bartender:-) Will look for her. Will do some posts from the Mariner. This is a 35th anniversary cruise for us and my focus will be a bit different than normal. I'm sure I'll find some details to share.

Thank you and janecambridge for the information on tinto de verano. Will try some in one of the Spanish ports. We are also going to Valencia, Cartagena, Malaga and Seville so there will be more opportunities to sample great food and drinks.

Be well.

If you have more than one day in Barcelona, an excursion to Montserrat, a monastery about 50 km (30 Miles) outside Barcelona is a Must See. If you don't rent a car, you can take a train to the base of the mountain and a cable car or cog railway to the monastery.

If you have even more time, and a rental car, spend most of the day at Montserrat then continue on another 50 km to Cardona, and spend the night in the Parador Cardona, a modern hotel constructed within an 11th Century castle on a hill. We were upgraded to a suite with a two-person jacuzzi tub and walls 6 feet thick, overlooking the Cardona Salt Mine, which has been in operation for 2,000 years or so. We were able to order a Senior package that included dinner and breakfast.

The Chapel of the Holy Grotto at Montserrat -- it's about a 1/2 mile hike on a mostly level path...

204416.jpg

The Parador Cardona...

203103.jpg

Another wonderful site in Barcelona is the Palau de la Musica Catalana The day we were going to the Picasso Museum we got there too late and the crowd was enormous. Our guide had told us about this place so we walked to it and were not disappointment. Here is the link to it for tours. http://www.barcelonaturisme.com/ECV2TBCN/Front/BCNShop/Sales/Disponibilitat-Producte/_vf-SMlY1yItM-U_l9RgLJgsyU0uRJi84RqTVW4Qu8jkzOTmhFpPBt4YWV3i8klbLN5CEeoDPeqM36IODF9VitpC2dEnl1LMmbP7qdlNUwMblkkLaJeG1hak86wkEtjuH

Also another link of some pictures. https://www.google.com/search?q=palau+de+la+musica+catalana+barcelona&client=firefox-a&hs=1Ti&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&channel=sb&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=FX0oVPDxIome8gHt94CYCQ&ved=0CC8QsAQ&biw=1920&bih=914

We arrived early before our tour and enjoyed a beverage and snack in the lobby. You can also attend events there if you happen to be there at the right time.

My husband is 6' 6" tall. We were approached just feet from Las Ramblas by FIVE guys, well dressed. One acted as lookout and the other FOUR tried to grab a tote I had which had ONLY WATER in it and a pair of sunglasses. My husband was able to fend them off..and one shop owner yelled. Do NOT feel safe. Only carry just the amount of money you need to use. Buy somewhere else. We took 35 Euros. That was fine.