Princess Cruises More HC Availability

Mindy97

My TA told me that Princess is going to start "qualifying" every booking for HC cabins very soon (she was surprised that it was not done for my booking this week, it may only apply to 2013 and on). If you book through a TA they will be asking the TA why, or "what condition" it is that requires that you have a HC. My TA put a fairly detailed note in her file on me. It doesn't, of course, alleviate me from filling out the medical form for my POC.

This makes me think that there will be more availability in HC for us, since AB will not be taking them. I was searching Panama Canal Cruises, and was able to find multiple HC rooms available in December, even holiday weeks. Also, on Princess' website you can now specify you need a Wheelchair Accessible Cabin, and it will show you which ones are available for the cabin class you request.

M.

When I spoke to the future cruise person on the Coral in Feb he told me that starting with the 2013 cruises Princess will require that the people that book the HC cabins will have either '3 or 4 wheels' (meaning a wheelchair or electric scooter). Having a walker will not be enough he said. The rules do not allow them to ask your disability only the type of equipemnt you will be using.

I had asked him how 1 1/2 years out a cruise could have all HC rooms booked (TA called Princess directly) and when final payment was due 9 HC cabins suddenly were available? He said the new rule would keep on-line TA'x booking the cabins and holding them for future clients.

I think I will enjoy this new rule as I bring my own w/c and rent a scooter on the ship.

My TA told me that Princess is going to start "qualifying" every booking for HC cabins very soon (she was surprised that it was not done for my booking this week, it may only apply to 2013 and on). If you book through a TA they will be asking the TA why, or "what condition" it is that requires that you have a HC. My TA put a fairly detailed note in her file on me. It doesn't, of course, alleviate me from filling out the medical form for my POC.

M.

Would be very surprised if Princess will actual ask "What Condition" a person has that requires the need for a HC Cabin? Nor can the TA ask this question and or disclose a customers actual condition.

By doing so both Princess and or the TA will be directly violating the USA Federal Privacy Laws . Therefore it probably can be assume the Princess' legal department will carefully craft any questions that can be asked. FYI Princess and any cruiseline for that matter can ask :

• If the person requires the use of a wheelchair and or scooter which would require the need for an HC cabin.
  • The cruiselines can also ask if the person can certify that they have a condition, without the person actually having to identify the condition, that requires the need for a HC Cabin . RCCL has instituted this since the DOT 2012 changes that went into effect earlier this year.

I also don't think that the accessible cabins should be reserved ONLY for those of us who use wheelchairs or scooters. What about the person who has had an amputation? Once the prosthesis is off I have met several people who can motivate with crutches but who cannot do a step. The person with MS who has good and bad days is another example. Some days they use a chair and some days they don't. I think you will have to self certify that you need the cabin.

I think the above is likely more accurate than what my TA told/asked me. I was surprised about the detail she asked for. I am guessing that she knows she will be asked *something* but since she has yet to be asked, she isn't quite sure *what* that will be and is trying to cover her bases.

M.

I am an amputee and that is why I take my w/c and rent a scooter. I do need both. Xxoocruiser is correct the HEPA rules for privacy do not allow for many questions about a persons condition, but asking about the kind of equipment they use does not break the rules. I have given my TA permission to tell Princess when making my reservation.

I hope these new rules allow everyone that needs an HC cabin can get one, and not have to book it 1-2 years out. I would love a 'last minute deal' or flash sale, just once.

Arlene

My TA told me that Princess is going to start "qualifying" every booking for HC cabins very soon (she was surprised that it was not done for my booking this week, it may only apply to 2013 and on). If you book through a TA they will be asking the TA why, or "what condition" it is that requires that you have a HC.

What stops a TA from Lying? Some TA's will do anything to get their AB clients a perk.

I am an amputee and that is why I take my w/c and rent a scooter. I do need both. Xxoocruiser is correct the HEPA rules for privacy do not allow for many questions about a persons condition, but asking about the kind of equipment they use does not break the rules. I have given my TA permission to tell Princess when making my reservation.

I hope these new rules allow everyone that needs an HC cabin can get one, and not have to book it 1-2 years out. I would love a 'last minute deal' or flash sale, just once.

Arlene

For the purpose of avoiding any confusion it's the Privacy Laws that came a about as a result of the Heath Insurance Portability Act otherwise known as HIPAA not HEPA that do not allow these questions.

What stops a TA from Lying? Some TA's will do anything to get their AB clients a perk.

Won't stop a TA from lying but will certainly minimize this practice. If the TA is found out to have lied a complaint can be filed with the Department of Justice . Would think a reputable TA would want to avoid a formal complaint with the DOJ which could result in a possible fine.

I also don't think that the accessible cabins should be reserved ONLY for those of us who use wheelchairs or scooters. What about the person who has had an amputation? Once the prosthesis is off I have met several people who can motivate with crutches but who cannot do a step. The person with MS who has good and bad days is another example. Some days they use a chair and some days they don't. I think you will have to self certify that you need the cabin.

Totally agree. BTW I do have MS and you described it very well.

The wording that RCCL put into effect a couple months ago accounts for the situation you stated in you post and does . When booking a RCCL HC cabin the following pops up. When I called to book the Rep also asked me to vertify the same thing. Yes someone can lie but hopefully this will help to minimize the current abuse of AB booking these cabins.

• Certify that a guest in my reservation has a mobility or other disability that requires the use of an accessible stateroom. Please check this box so that we have verified your need for the accessible stateroom. It may be possible that you have legitimately booked an accessible stateroom (for example, all non-accessible staterooms were sold out and you were offered an accessible stateroom), in which case you do not need to check this box

For the purpose of avoiding any confusion it's the Privacy Laws that came a about as a result of the Heath Insurance Portability Act otherwise known as HIPAA not HEPA that do not allow these questions.

Thanks for clearing that up ,... I knew I was wrong but could not remember the correct letters.

I should have checked before I posted.

My agent told me that anyone booking an accessable cabin and didn't need it would either be fined/or be denied boarding. They labled it as FRAUD.

I told him how hard we have been fighting for this...and thanked him very much.

Hi Linda~~

Haven't heard from you in awhile. I have found the perfect cruise companion...my cousin! We cruised Southbound Alaska on the Coral and really loved the Ship!...So much so we booked another cruise on her in Feb. '13. (Panama Canal) while on the ship!! It was fun knowing we could pick any cabin we wanted! I think l changed the booking about four times...but they were very nice about it. Accessable balcony on the Baja deck. Now need a scooter to get around.. which is fun.

J.

I booked a Princess cruise with a TA last week and he emailed me a note saying

"because Princess asks me, I have to ask you --- what is the nature of the disability?".

So I gave him the details.

Are you sure Princess isn't already asking for this info whether or not they are permitted to do so? Anyone here a TA and know for sure?

The cruise IS for January 2013 but I thought I was reading here that this applied to reservations booked in 2013.

I booked a Princess cruise with a TA last week and he emailed me a note saying

"because Princess asks me, I have to ask you --- what is the nature of the disability?".

So I gave him the details.

Are you sure Princess isn't already asking for this info whether or not they are permitted to do so? Anyone here a TA and know for sure?

The cruise IS for January 2013 but I thought I was reading here that this applied to reservations booked in 2013.

The changes in the Law became effective the beginning of 2012.

Regarding the question from Princess , remember that the TA is second partying the question so the TA may well be paraphrasing the question. So how Princess is actually asking the question is still unknown. With that said asking "What is the nature of the disability ?" probably falls into the exceptable range as to what the TA can ask as the question was not asking for your specific medical condition that has caused your disability. Which would be a violation of the Federal Privacy Laws under HIPAA . So your reply does not have to state your medical condition ( unless you want to freely disclose that information ) .

The manner is which I would answer this question specific to my condition would be that " Due to my condition I use a mobility scooter and other mobility aids that requires the need to book an Accessible HC Cabin.

We booked a cruise to the Panama Canal for January 2013. Once our room was reserved we were transfered to someone in the disabilities office to confim that we needed an accessibe room. I think I offered that my husband had MS, but I think they wanted to know what kind of equipment we were bringing and if there was anything they could do for us. I was very appreciative that Princess was trying to stop the misuse of handicap accessible rooms.

Yes, HIPPA rules protect your right to privacy, but you can always sign a release of information. Or, the cruise line could ask you to sign a release of information, which is what I suspect they will have to do once their legal department sorts it all out. I believe that most people with a legitimate mobility impairment or other disability that required more room will have no problem answering the cruise lines' questions if it means they have better access to handicapped accessible cabins.

I booked my cruise for April 2013 on line. Picked my cabin and have never heard anything else. First time ever I have been able to do that. I really liked being able to see what is available. I keep waiting for them to send me something.

Archived