New Zealand car rental/insurance question

mouseterd1

Hello

Can anyone help shed some light on insurance coverage, either required, or just "should have" to be on the safe side when renting a vehicle in New Zealand. Somewhere I thought I'd seen that there is 'some' insurance built into the rental pricing, but I'm not sure.

I'm Canadian, but when I rent in the U.S., I just decline additional insurance to either my Provincial insurance or to a credit card. Simply not confident what to do about New Zealand upcoming land travel after cruise.

Any facts/ideas would be helpful, for anything on the topic for car rental down under. I know there are many experienced Princess travellers to help me out.

thanking you all, in advance. :)

When I rented during my study abroad in 2007 there wasn't any requirement, but I had to pay extra since I was under 25 anyway. I loved renting a car in New Zealand. Such a pretty country to drive around and it was great to set my own schedule to see things. :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can't speak for Canadian Car Insurance but U.S. does not cover in N.Z. I don't know why? I called my Ins. before leaving and they said to take the N.Z. insurance for sure. Also, take the wind screen addition. Out of the cities the roads are gravel on oil so rocks fly all over the place. There is even a small screen built right on the lower part of the windshield to protect from the rocks on the camper vans like we rented. We've now driven cars and vans on two trips there and will go back for a 3rd driving Holiday. The camper vans are the way to go!!

When we rented in New Zealand we declined the insurance. It's been a while so I don't remember why we declined, but the agent circled accept and we didn't catch it. Cost us an extra $200

The most important insurance when driving in New Zealand is a copilot who keeps saying: "stay left, stay left" ;)

I checked my Canadian car insurance provisions before a trip to NZ last year. Though my coverage (from State Farm) includes coverage on rental cars in Canada and the U.S., that coverage does not apply in NZ or anywhere else outside Canada and the U.S. I was also skeptical about the coverage under one of my credit cards, so opted to pay for the coverage provided by the rental company in NZ. One less thing to worry about...

John

Also make sure you check what the excess is, it can be in the thousands:eek:

That is what we are talking about - the excess.:)

From our experience the car rental companies quote a fairly high excess (maybe $2,000 or $4,000) unless the customer pays to have that reduced. Our travel insurance covers car rental excess up to $5,000 so we don't have to pay the car rental company to have their excess removed.

That is what we are talking about - the excess.:)

From our experience the car rental companies quote a fairly high excess (maybe $2,000 or $4,000) unless the customer pays to have that reduced. Our travel insurance covers car rental excess up to $5,000 so we don't have to pay the car rental company to have their excess removed.

The OP started out asking about insurance itself unless misunderstood the question.:confused:

The OP started out asking about insurance itself unless misunderstood the question.:confused:

In New Zealand, and the many other countries where we have hired a car (USA, Canada, European countries, South Africa), the hire car company covers major insurance losses, leaving an excess. That is what I was talking about. I was presuming the original poster would be aware of the situation when one hires a car. I haven't ever had the situation where we have had to take insurance to cover the total cost of the car in the event of a write-off.

We paid the extra for the excess car insurance in New Zealand and Ireland because we felt we had significantly increased risk due to the driving on the left. I don't remember the exact amount, but we rented a car big enough for 4 plus luggage for a month that included the ferry to the South Island in the price and the total was around $1600. Thought it was reasonable.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

We rented a motor home in New Zealand about three years ago. Used my American Express card, which provides coverage for rentals as one of the benefits. We ended up with some minor damage for which we were billed by the motor home rental agency. I submitted to AMEX only to find that New Zealand was one of a very few countries excluded from the AMEX coverage. :confused:

Thanks to all who responded.

I think I have the 'picture' now. NZ car rental places have basic insurance built into the price. However, you can purchase 'top-up' excess insurance, which you likely need to, over and above what comes with the car rental. I do know that most, if not all, US and Cdn credit cards, or private insurances on your home vehicle will extend to NZ.

Thanks to the poster who mentioned windshield insurance as I had wondered just why and what that was...now I know, may be something to think about also.

I think, for the cost, I will go ahead and purchase what they are offering as 'excess' insurance top up to be on the safe side --- driving on the 'wrong side' of the pavement and all !!! :D That could be interesting certainly in and around Auckland!!!!