New Camera Decisions

I'm looking for some advice on upgrading my camera. Currently I have a Rebel T2i. I'm torn between the Cannon 60D and 7D. I'd appreciate view on both cameras.

Thanks

Bob

Forgot to post this earlier: Do you think I should wait for the 70D which is rumored to be out sometime in July/August.....

Bob

What do you not like about the T2i? That kind of sets the tone on where to go.

I have a T2i and love it. I didn't find the 60D particularly attractive, and have basically decided if I upgrade in the future, it will be for a 7D or son of 7D, which is also rumored.

What kind of glass do you own? I'm a big fan of upgrading glass and letting bodies ride. The T2i does an awful lot well. Unless you're really planning to do video and want to buy STM lenses, it should do you well for a long time. And if you want to use the features of the STM lenses, you need to go with the T5i (unless the rumored 70D gives you the same video autofocus as the T5i with STM lenses).

What do you not like about the T2i? That kind of sets the tone on where to go.

I have a T2i and love it. I didn't find the 60D particularly attractive, and have basically decided if I upgrade in the future, it will be for a 7D or son of 7D, which is also rumored.

What kind of glass do you own? I'm a big fan of upgrading glass and letting bodies ride. The T2i does an awful lot well. Unless you're really planning to do video and want to buy STM lenses, it should do you well for a long time. And if you want to use the features of the STM lenses, you need to go with the T5i (unless the rumored 70D gives you the same video autofocus as the T5i with STM lenses).

You bring up some good points. This will be my third DSLR camera. My first was a 30D and my second was the T2i. Currently I have the following glass.

18X55

10x22

70-300

28-135

Bob

Glass!!!!

Look at a

Sigma 17-50

Canon 15-85

Sigma 18-35

Sigma 30

Sigma 50-150

etc.

You can make massive improvements in your photography by improving your glass. The T2i is a great camera. I'd only seriously look at upgrading today if you want to shoot a lot of video, and want to go with STM lenses. And, IMHO, as long as you're sticking with a crop camera, don't be seduced by the red ring unless it really makes sense!

I just got back from my Med cruise. I purchased a 60D at a really good price before I left as an upgrade to my XT. It came with a Canon 18 - 200. Saw a major improvement in my pictures.

I broke down and purchased my first DSLR back in October and I bought the Canon 7D. I have to say that it's one of the greatest purchases that I've made in a long time.

I only have three pieces of glass and am looking at one more for now: a good wide angle lens.

I agree with most posters, opt for the quality in glass vice the body. HOWEVER, with that said, I am very interested in the Canon 7D Mark II coming out Summer/Fall 2013; but I have been reading a lot of Canon rumors for the Canon 70D that are quite promising, too.

Good Luck with your decision and keep us posted! :cool:

I am also a big proponent of upgrading glass before body, so that is my recommendation for you based on what you've said.

Like another poster, I would ask, why are you looking to upgrade? Picture quality will improve much more by improving your glass, the sensor in that camera is nothing to be frustrated with. Now, if the features are something you have out grown then that is a different story. For example, if you shoot lots of sports then you want to look at something that has a larger buffer and shoots more frames per second.

Also, you should do some research on Canon's camera lines. What I Mean is that they basically have 4 lines.

* T-series such as T2i is entry level amateur line.

* Double digit "D" line such as 30D, 40D, 50D, 60D and upcoming 70D is advanced amateur line.

* Single digit "D" line such as 5D, 5D II, 7D and upcoming 7D II is pro-am line. Note: these go in reverse numerical order were 5D is actually higher level than 7D.

* 1D line such as 1D MkVI and so on are the pro line cameras.

The reason I mention this is because you went from a 30D to a T2i which may have seemed like an upgrade at the time because you went from an "OLD" advanced amateur camera to a new entry level amateur camera. It seemed like an upgrade simply because technology had advanced over time. The true upgrade to your 30D would have been the 40D, 50D or 60D depending on what was available at the time, or the 7D up in the pro-am line of cameras.

I shoot mostly as a hobby but take paying jobs here and there and my old 30D served me well and produced professional photographs for weddings and so on for a long time. But... I used "L" quality lenses... This was my line up at the time;

Wide Angle

Canon 10-22 EF-S f/3.5-4.5

Portrait / Events

Canon 24-70 EF f/2.8L

Canon 70-200 IS EF f/2.8L

Wild Life / Sports

Canon 100-400 IS EF f/4-5.6L

Walk Around

Canon 24-105 IS EF f/4L

The reason I mention my lenses is because I had accumulated these over time but invested in these BEFORE I invested in upgrading my camera body to the 7D, and taking that rout (lens before body) served me well.

Also, it should be noted that there are some amazing lenses offered by other manufacturers that are available for a much more reasonable prices while still offering similar quality...so don't let the prices scare you off, you can look at the other brand alternatives to the "L" series lenses.

The 70d is available for pre-order now - $1,199

http://www.adorama.com/ICA70D.html

However, I agree about upgrading glass. For APS cameras, the Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 is an outstanding lens. According to DxOMark testing, the Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 beats both the Canon 17-55mm f/2.8 and the Nikon version beats the Nikon 17-55mm f/2.8.

I own the Nikon version of the Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8, and I can highly recommend it. For some reason, it seems both Canon and Nikon are only giving cropped lenses (DX or EF-S) "lip-service". Their consumer-grade cropped lenses are pretty well covered, but they don't have much in the order of upscale cropped lenses. In the mean time, the 3rd party lens manufacturers - especially Sigma - are making some very good high-end cropped lenses. The Sigma 17-50m f/2.8 is a top notch lens.

Either way I don't think you can make a bad choice, but the 60d can be had at an exceptional price right now: $599 readily available at multiple sites on line. I purchased one through Am**on, and with no shipping (prime),and no sales tax I thought it was a great deal.

Either way I don't think you can make a bad choice, but the 60d can be had at an exceptional price right now: $599 readily available at multiple sites on line. I purchased one through Am**on, and with no shipping (prime),and no sales tax I thought it was a great deal.

That is a fantastic price:) and I'm very tempted. I just looked at the 70D on B&H and I'm also tempted to order that as well:) Decisions, decisions.....:D:D:D

Bob

That is a fantastic price:) and I'm very tempted. I just looked at the 70D on B&H and I'm also tempted to order that as well:) Decisions, decisions.....:D:D:D

Bob

Half the fun is contemplating all of the available choices, isn't it? I'm just a begining photography enthusiast, but from the limited info I've seen about the 70d it looks great. Especially wifi.

Bob

Not to sound like a broken record, but please at least price out better lenses as well! Check out the online Canon forums; I've not seen a single pro who would recommend a body over glass...

Not to sound like a broken record, but please at least price out better lenses as well! Check out the online Canon forums; I've not seen a single pro who would recommend a body over glass...

What type of lens upgrade would you recommend. I'm an average type of photo bug with the following lenses:

18X55

10x22

70-300

28-135

Bob

What type of lens upgrade would you recommend. I'm an average type of photo bug with the following lenses:

18X55

10x22

70-300

28-135

Bob

What stays on your camera the most? What range?

I listed a few earlier. If you use the 18-55 a lot, then the Sigma 17-50 would be a great improvement. Very fast, quiet, and fixed f/2.8. I find the Canon 15-85, which is a USM lens with IS, to be amazing as a walk around. Neither is inexpensive, but both are great.

I would also suggest looking at the Canon website for refurbished specials on lenses. Doing a google search for Canon refurb should get you the right link. You can find Canon's highest quality lenses, the L lenses, for a greatly reduced price. Tomgetbthe best price, however, you have to wait till they run one of their specials.

Hope I'm not too late,

I have used a 60D and a 7D.

They both have the same resolution at 18MP. Although the 60D has a vari-angle screen and better battery life the superior performance and image quality of the 7D makes it my camera of choice, although it is around £500 more expensive.

Hope this helps

TwinnieE

Wedding Photographer and people person.

Glass!!!!

Look at a

Sigma 17-50

Canon 15-85

Sigma 18-35

Sigma 30

Sigma 50-150

etc.

You can make massive improvements in your photography by improving your glass. The T2i is a great camera. I'd only seriously look at upgrading today if you want to shoot a lot of video, and want to go with STM lenses. And, IMHO, as long as you're sticking with a crop camera, don't be seduced by the red ring unless it really makes sense!

Make sure to read many reviews...Sigma has documented QC issues with most of their lenses....

Make sure to read many reviews...Sigma has documented QC issues with most of their lenses....

Sorry. QC issues on the 30mm, reasonably well documented, but most don't have a problem. I didn't. No such problems reported on most other lenses. I've had no problems with my 17-50 and have read of no problems on the Canon boards with the 17-50. The current 30mm is a totally different lens.

This has become an urban legend in Canon land that is no longer true...

I used to think Sigma = yuck, and only bought Nikon or sometimes Tokina.

However, when I came across the Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8, I was originally considering the Nikon 17-55mm f/2.8. But the Sigma was recommended by a few people I trust, I came to rethink my belief. When I bought my Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 a couple of months ago, I was still a bit concerned about Sigma QC issues. Anytime you read a review about a Sigma lens on-line, someone brings up QC issues. So I bought it from a local dealer to be sure I got a good copy.

After buying that lens, I am really glad I did, as it is an outstanding lens. And if you believe the Dx0Mark tests, the Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 beats both the Canon and Nikon 17-55mm f/2.8 lenses.

I also used to own a Sigma 70-300mm lens in the Canon FD mount, some 25 years ago. I had no issues with that lens either.

While my direct experience with Sigma is limited to two lenses over a 25 year period, I believe the QC issues to be overblown... almost an internet legend. There is a big difference between "I heard that... " and "this happened to me".

While there has been some evidence about QC issues in years past, these days, Sigma has been making some great lenses, and I don't think the QC issue is a current situation. One thing is evident - Sigma supports the high-end cropped DSLR lens market better than either Canon or Nikon.

I don't doubt the sincerity of Sigma QC issues, but I think it is more likely that once you get a bad reputation - it can take 20 years for that perception so subside.

I recently bought a Nikon factory refurbished lens - and it was defective; the barrel was mis-aligned. Imagine a lens going through the refurbishment department, and with "hands-on" they fail to catch something as obvious as a mis-aligned barrel. To be fair, this is the 4th refurbished lens I have purchased out of the 12 lenses I own, and the first one to be defective right out of the box. Will I buy another refurbished lens - yes. I just simply return this lens for another.

With the current cut-throat atmosphere in the camera industry these days, and the need to slash labor costs, anyone can produce a defective lens.

At this point, after my experience with the Sigma 17-50 f/2.8, I have no hesitation of recommending this lens. I am not saying Sigma is defect free, but I don't believe it is any more or less than Canon or Nikon.

But if you are concerned, do what I did - go to your local camera shop with your camera. They will usually allow you to test the lens on your camera, and take a few photos. And if you find a problem when you get home and inspect the lens more thoroughly, you can easily return it for an exchange.

Besides, with universal pricing these days, you are not likely to get much better of a deal on-line, and you might as well support your local camera shop - if you want it to be there for you in the future.

These days, most manufacturers make some really good lenses, and some that are not so great - depending on the lens model. While the Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 is a rock solid high quality lens, other models may not be so much so. It depends on the individual model.

However, the same thing can be said for Nikon, Canon, and any other manufacturer. Does anyone have anything good to say about the Canon 75-300mm?

• 2 months later...

Just wanted to let everyone know that I settled on the Canon 70D as my new camera. It arrived about a week ago and I'm having a blast getting to know it. I'm going to sell my t2i to a co-worker along with my old 18x55 lens. I just purchased the Canon 15x85 IS USM lens which will be my new walk around lens. My additional lens will be my Canon 10x22, 28x135, and 70x300. Can't wait to test everything out when I board the Royal on October 9th. We are wheels up en route to Venice in a scant 18 days and a bag drag.....:):):)

Bob

Archived