questions: taxi from Arlanda to Sheraton Stockholm

poss

Can you tell me, please, what the cost should be of the trip? And whether it's easy to get a taxi. (plane due to arrive at 7:30 a.m.) I'm aware that one should engage only taxis with the yellow sign, i.e. one of the 3 major companies.

Something I don't understand: We'll be paying by credit card. I've read warnings to be sure the driver doesn't see the PIN. Is that the same as the 3-number code? How could they not see that?

Also: Does one tip taxi drivers in Stockholm?

Many thanks.

But when we give our credit card to a taxi driver (at least here in the States), we don't type anything-- we just hand the driver (or the shopkeeper or hotel or whatever) our card. They record the card number and give the card back. I've never thought of trying to cover up the PIN. Also: our Visa and Master cards have 3-number codes-- but perhaps that's not what a "PIN" is?

I must seen awfully naive; perhaps so.

Thanks for reply though.

But when we give our credit card to a taxi driver (at least here in the States), we don't type anything-- we just hand the driver (or the shopkeeper or hotel or whatever) our card. They record the card number and give the card back. I've never thought of trying to cover up the PIN. Also: our Visa and Master cards have 3-number codes-- but perhaps that's not what a "PIN" is?

I must seen awfully naive; perhaps so.

Thanks for reply though.

Poss, around the world, many countries now use a "Pin and Chip" type of credit card where one enters a PIN when making transactions instead of having to sign your signature. I'm pretty certain that is what you are referring to. It is considered more secure, since only you know the PIN. The transaction will be rejected by the credit card processing if the PIN is not correct. Unfortunately, the US has been slow to adopt this standard, but much of Europe has moved to it. It is not the same thing as the 3 digit code on most US credit cards and it's not the the same thing as the PIN number used to get "cash advances" from your credit card at a networked ATM. Many European merchants can still process our "older technology" credit cards from the US, but you would be best to confirm that this can be done before using the service. I would certainly ask that a taxi can do this before getting in. Or I would have enough cash on hand to pay for the ride.

Oh! Thanks so much for enlightening me. We're not big-time travelers, so I hadn't known anything about that. I sure hope that the various countries we'll be in will still accept the old-time cards. (It's mainly a cruise, but pre and post on land.) We've never had to carry around much money in the past, and I'd not be happy about having to do that.

I'm hoping that someone can give me some sense of what the taxi should cost.

Thanks!

I still can't offer you taxi cost info, but I will add that if you have a US Bank ATM card it will work fine in Europe to get cash as you need it... in the currency of the country you are in. Just notify your bank before you leave and let them know you will be doing international transactions. There is a small charge, but it's still the most effective way to have cash overseas. I don't carry much money with me at all (in the US or when I'm overseas). I just get cash from the ATM as needed, just like I do in the US. I do try to use the credit card for larger purchases however. But once, when buying a train ticket in Amsterdam, they would not accept my credit card since it was not a Chip and Pin type. So I had to go to an ATM to withdraw Euros for the transaction. I would plan for similar situations, just in case they arise.

poss, Just make sure you get in a Taxi Stockholm, Taxi Kurir, or Taxi 020 cab. Those cabs charge a set fee of 520 SEK between Arlanda and the Sheraton. I've already e-mailed Taxi Stockholm and they assured me that they do accept US credit cards without the chip and PIN. The other 2 cab companies probably do as well. From what I've been told, our credit cards are accepted everywhere except in automated machines like at train stations and other automated ticket kiosks.

I'm hoping that someone can give me some sense of what the taxi should cost.

If you use Taxi Stockholm, the fare should be no more than 600SEK. (You can confirm this with an e-mail to your hotel). IF your taxi driver fails to answer your cost question directly, GET OUT OF THE CAB IMMEDIATELY...

If you use Taxi Stockholm, the fare should be no more than 600SEK. (You can confirm this with an e-mail to your hotel). IF your taxi driver fails to answer your cost question directly, GET OUT OF THE CAB IMMEDIATELY...

Before you get into the taxi, ask what the final fare will be. Never take a ride on the meter - always ask for a fixed price. This is how we mostly do it in Sweden. I f you feel the the price is too high, just ask another cabbie.

The cab companies mentioned earlier (taxi Stockholm, 020, and kurir) will all have prices on a sticker on the window. There is usually a uniformed yellow jacket taxi assistant that can answer questions. Make sure you get one of these real major cab companies (for example Taxi Stockholm is not the same as their "fake" copier "Taxi I Stockholm".

You will probably need to show an ID every time you use your credit card if you don't have a PIN. (That is not the CCV 3 digit code on the back, but a 4 digit code like used on an ATM card.)

We tip in Sweden (at least those of us that are not cheap), but not the same as Americans. Cab fares I generally give 10 or 20 SEK. Restaurants usually 5 to 10 percent. This is the consensus in my family and group of friends when we are out. Everyone appreciates tips for good service (coming from a former waitress and restaurant hostess).

We tip in Sweden (at least those of us that are not cheap), but not the same as Americans. Cab fares I generally give 10 or 20 SEK. Restaurants usually 5 to 10 percent. This is the consensus in my family and group of friends when we are out. Everyone appreciates tips for good service (coming from a former waitress and restaurant hostess).

It´s OK to call me cheap. But to be honest, not many people in the Swedish service industry deserves a tip. Especially not if you compare their service level to their US colleagues.

I much appreciate the input.

If we have good service, I will absolutely tip, now that I understand that some locals do. I do hope I remember to keep it under 20% unless the service is extraordinary.

You would be much better getting the Arlanda Express and then walking the short distance to the hotel. We just did it with luggage pre -cruise and it was easy. Pre- book the express on line. When you get to the central station go right then right at the street. This is the street the hotel is on. walk down towards the water, it's about 5 -7 mins on the left of the street. We really enjoyed this hotel, if you upgrade to club class, breakfast and dinner is included. It will save you many $$ in pricey Stockholm.

You would be much better getting the Arlanda Express and then walking the short distance to the hotel. We just did it with luggage pre -cruise and it was easy. Pre- book the express on line. When you get to the central station go right then right at the street. This is the street the hotel is on. walk down towards the water, it's about 5 -7 mins on the left of the street. We really enjoyed this hotel, if you upgrade to club class, breakfast and dinner is included. It will save you many $$ in pricey Stockholm.

Like I said in the other thread.

At Hotels in Sweden, breakfast is normally included in the price.

The breakfast usually is a breakfast Smörgåsbord (buffet) with a large variety of things to choose from.

The non-deregulated Helsinki seems like a traveller's heaven. Every cab is equally licenced, every cab has a meter, and they all charge the same fare. Most importantly, no driver will be cheating you in any manner.

Archived