Toddlers on RC Jewel of the Seas

Disneygal922

Hi Everyone. We will be sailing with our 2 year old on the Jewel of the Seas. I'm having a hard time finding information on the Royal Caribbean site regarding sailing with a toddler on this specific ship. Can anyone answer a few questions for me?

Does the Jewel of the Seas have a nursery (Royal Tots)? I have read some RC ships do not have this program.

Do they still do the toy lending program on this ship?

I know they do not allow swim diapers in pools. Is there a splash pad on this ship? If she is potty trained, is there an age limit for her to go in the pool? Can I use a swim diaper just as a safety precaution even if she is fully potty trained?

Oh and unrelated to the Jewel of the Seas. Does anyone have a recommendation for a hotel near the port of Seattle that doesn't cost an arm and a leg? We want to fly in the day before to ensure we aren't delayed and such.

CB is partially correct. The Radiance class ships were not built with nurseries; however, they have been added to Radiance, Brilliance, and Serenade during their last dry dock. Unfortunately, Jewel has not been updated yet, so no nursery. It will have a 45 minute playgroup in the mornings - check CC or with AO staff to see where this is held. At 2, you can also request in-room baby sitting. This is $19 per hour, and they send up two people to watch your child.

Last I heard, they still offer toy lending.

If she is potty-trained, I would take her to bathroom before pool and just use normal bathing suit. As CB mentioned, if they see swim diapers, they are more likely to ask you to leave.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thank you both. I'm concerned my daughter is going to be completely bored. :( If it weren't that my dad and his other traveling friends were already booked on this ship, I would probably not do this particular cruise. This is just a big bummer.

Work on that potty training. Our son lived in the pool on his first cruise - he was three. Jewel does have a nice kids pool with small slide, so if you can get her ready for that, you may be fine. Also, I think Jewel has mini golf too. One stop has that great railroad ride - is it Skagway? My son watches that train all the time on Mighty Machines...lol

Also, does anyone in your group have a suite? On our ship, there was a PS3 in GS or higher cabins, so we brought a ton of our sons DVDs. He watched his shows every night before bed, or while my wife and I were getting ready.

Send from device_name using Cruise Critic your_app_name App

Edited by RSLeesburg

Work on that potty training. Our son lived in the pool on his first cruise - he was three. Jewel does have a nice kids pool with small slide, so if you can get her ready for that, you may be fine. Also, I think Jewel has mini golf too. One stop has that great railroad ride - is it Skagway? My son watches that train all the time on Mighty Machines...lol

Also, does anyone in your group have a suite? On our ship, there was a PS3 in GS or higher cabins, so we brought a ton of our sons DVDs. He watched his shows every night before bed, or while my wife and I were getting ready.

Send from device_name using Cruise Critic your_app_name App

Thanks. We will definitely work on that potty training! I'll have to check with my dad to see if anyone has a suite. We will have our laptop so she can watch her dvds even if we don't have the PS3 and I'll plan on bringing a plethora of small toys.

I believe it is Skagway that has the train ride. My dad has been talking about that excursion for 20 years since his first Alaskan Cruise in 1994. lol. :)

Thanks. We will definitely work on that potty training! I'll have to check with my dad to see if anyone has a suite. We will have our laptop so she can watch her dvds even if we don't have the PS3 and I'll plan on bringing a plethora of small toys.

I believe it is Skagway that has the train ride. My dad has been talking about that excursion for 20 years since his first Alaskan Cruise in 1994. lol. :)

If you have Netflix (streaming), search for a show called Mighty Machines, and then watch Season 3 - Ride the Mountain Train. This is the train in Skagway. The scenery is breathtaking! Also spend some time on the Alaska and/or family forums. Lots of parents have taken younger children to Alaska, so lots of tips on things to do at different ports.

If you have Netflix (streaming), search for a show called Mighty Machines, and then watch Season 3 - Ride the Mountain Train. This is the train in Skagway. The scenery is breathtaking! Also spend some time on the Alaska and/or family forums. Lots of parents have taken younger children to Alaska, so lots of tips on things to do at different ports.

Thank you so much for the reassurance. My husband has been wanting so badly to go to Alaska since my dad showed him photos and old home videos from my parents' 20th anniversary trip in '94. Then my dad went and booked this trip in September and randomly asked us to join them. I will definitely read up on the family and Alaska forums. When my hubby gets home from work, we will watch the Mighty Machines episode together! :) Thank you again.

We (including our 17 month old grandson) were lucky and sailed on Radiance for our last (2014) May Alaska northbound cruise and ROS had an amazing Nursery...Sorry JOS won't have this option until she goes into drydock in 2016.