Hotel location/August heat

snowmouse

I am still waivering in my hotel decision. We are doing a 3night pre cruise stay in NoLa. I thought I had decided on the Drury, but the heat really has me concerned. I am starting to think maybe the Jackson Square area is more central with less walking? I know this will cost more but, we are really not used to the heat levels that are August in Louisiana. I could see eating up all of the $ we are saving by staying at the Drury in taxi fares? We want to be able to do a variety of activities including the french quarter nightlife (a little bit) a cemetery/ghost tour, wwII museum, and of course some great Cajun eating.

Any suggestions? At this point I am looing at the Bourbon Orleans. Deciding factors being location, cost, and must have a pool.

I am still waivering in my hotel decision. We are doing a 3night pre cruise stay in NoLa. I thought I had decided on the Drury, but the heat really has me concerned. I am starting to think maybe the Jackson Square area is more central with less walking? I know this will cost more but, we are really not used to the heat levels that are August in Louisiana. I could see eating up all of the $ we are saving by staying at the Drury in taxi fares? We want to be able to do a variety of activities including the french quarter nightlife (a little bit) a cemetery/ghost tour, wwII museum, and of course some great Cajun eating.

Any suggestions? At this point I am looing at the Bourbon Orleans. Deciding factors being location, cost, and must have a pool.

I'm not an expert on New Orleans but I have stayed in the French Quarter on a few occasions and know a bit about the area in general.

The first thing I would say is that you are near the St. Charles streetcar which will get you a lot of places cheap. It looks like you are a block away from a streetcar stop. This will save you tons over taking a taxi and you can buy a multi-day pass.

If price is a big issue you could look to somewhere like Maison St. Charles Quality Inn & Suites which is fairly cheap and is right on the train line. I've been in the Garden District very late at night along the streetcar line and it was not an issue for me. Yes, you might have some people trying to panhandle a buck off of you but I never felt unsafe and if you politely say no they will move along without issue.

Ultimately, if you are planning on changing from the Drury I would focus on getting a hotel close to the St. Charles streetcar line as it can get you to the museum, Bourbon street, Cemetery and other places with very little walking.

Just my two cents but not cash redeemable for that amount. :)

If you're looking at the Drury area, take a look on hotwire.com and see what the 4* downtown/superdome costs. I just booked it for almost every saints game this season. During the season it's running $69-73/night on Sun-Mon and $90/night on Sat. This is arguably the best hotel in New Orleans. I've been booking hotwire hotels for all the Saints games for 9 years and this is one of the best deals I've seen in the past five years. It isn't close to the French Quarter (it's next to the superdome) but there is a street car stop right out front that takes you up Loyola and all the way down Canal for $1.25. If you are going to ride more than twice a day buy a Jazzy pass for $3.00/day that gives you unlimited rides until 4am the next morning. If you see 4* French Quarter/Mississippi River in the $87-88 range that should be Hilton Riverside. That would also be a good choice...closer to French Quarter and a streetcar stops right there that will take you down to the Jackson Square/French Market area. I have that booked for one game but I've seen it out there when I booked some of my other games.

I would actually encourage the opposite. I suggest you follow your gut and stay near Jackson Square. The walking that you will do in the Quarter will be centered in that area, especially if you are doing things like Jackson Square, Bourbon and Royal streets and the galleries on Chartres.

If you want to go to the WWII museum then that's walking to the street car line once, not walking from the streetcar line to the middle of the Quarter every day.

I recommend Place de Armes, which is right off of Jackson Square, two blocks from Bourbon street, one block from Cafe Du Monde. The hotel is very nice, has a great pool and breakfast.

I would actually encourage the opposite. I suggest you follow your gut and stay near Jackson Square. The walking that you will do in the Quarter will be centered in that area, especially if you are doing things like Jackson Square, Bourbon and Royal streets and the galleries on Chartres.

If you want to go to the WWII museum then that's walking to the street car line once, not walking from the streetcar line to the middle of the Quarter every day.

I recommend Place de Armes, which is right off of Jackson Square, two blocks from Bourbon street, one block from Cafe Du Monde. The hotel is very nice, has a great pool and breakfast.

Personally, I like to stay near Canal/Royal Street. (think Mariott or JW Marriott across the street -- I've also stayed at the former Holiday Inn on Royal which is now Wyndham)

That location is close to everything in my opinion. (but more pricey)