Costa Serena - Dubai, Oman

Edinburghgirl1

I am on the Serena sailing from Dubai on the 23rd January. I am curious as to what the demographic of other passengers is likely to be. From the ships reviews it would appear on the Mediterranean sailings it is mainly Italians being that the ship manly sails for Italian ports. I wondered if anyone had done this itinerary and what nationality made up the bulk of the passengers.

Always a difficult question to answer, it depends on so manyfactors:

* School Holidays

* National Holidays (i.e. Carnival)

* Special Costa offers for particular countries

* Large block bookings

* Charter groups

There should be more of a mixed bag than on a Med / Italian cruise. More Brits than usual.

Open up a rollcall and see who joins.

Have a great cruise.

Hi Edinburghgirl1

I'll be doing this cruise in March. It will be the 4th year running that I've done an Arabian Hulf cruise with Costa out of Dubai in the first 3 months of the year.

DemographicLly it is a real melting pot. All ages and loads of nationalities. There are usually a few Emiratis, then various European nations (including lots of Germans and Italians and a number of French and Brits) and a bit of very other nationality. All ages too. Not that may families with school age when you avoid New Year but still some kids. Older people, younger people, groups, couples and even a few of us solo passengers.

Hi amoMondo

As you've done this cruise before maybe you can answer a few questions for me.

Did you book tours through the cruise ship? We were thinking of just using taxis to get around is this advisable.

What currency should we take as I know the currencies are different in Oman and Dubai.

I almost never do organised tours. I have nothing against Costa's ones, it is the whole concept of going around in a big group, on an Ganda and timetable not of my choosing - I'm far too independent and love doing my own thing.

That said, 2 years ago I did a great small group tour they were offering. It was max of 9 people going on a 45 minute scenic flight in a seaplane with a company called Seawings. We met in the cruise terminal at The Seawings shop and were taking to the plane by limo. The plane was very comfortable with leather seats and every one was a window seat. The flight itself was amazing. :Dubai's architecture, beaches and islands are well suited to being viewed from on high. We then landed in Dubai creek at the Golf Club where we had some time for refreshments and could walk in the grounds and view the creek. After that we were taken back to the port by limo. It was not cheap but very memorable.

Taxis are extremely cheap and relaible in Dubai. That is how I get around there and in Abu Dhabi. They are metered and regulated. Certainly cheaper using them that HoHo buses and better as you get to go where you want to. There is also a Metro which I've not used. There isn't a stop at the port as fa as I'm aware. You could use it though if you were at Dubai mall/Burj Khalifa and wanted to go to he Mall of the Emirates or somewhere else on the network.

Only used taxis once in Oman, to go to the Shangri La and back. I'd booked a day pass with them which allowed me use of their pools and beach and lunch, plus discount on their spa. Again very safe and reasonably proced. They don't use meters though and the trip out was more expensive than the taxi the hotel booked. With hindsight, I would have been better walking a bit a way from the port and picking one up along the Corniche. It still wasn't dire though. OMr12 for around half hour journey.

They isn't a huge deal of choice in Khasab if you don't do a ships tour or book a dhow cruise or something with another company. There really isn't much there. I believe there is a town you can walk to. Never noticed taxis there. It is my stay onboard and enjoy the ship day.

I take both OMR and AED as currency. Probably not as necessary if you book excursions but definitely required for using local taxis. I use credit or currency cards for lather purchases.

Edited by AmoMondo

I did this cruise in March 2012. I thought that the main body of the passengers consisted still of Italians, but there were people from all over Europe on the cruise. I just know that on one tour there were some dutch people, having to join the german speaking tour.

I stayed 4 days pre-cruise in Dubai, to meet a friend and to do all the things you can do there (desert-safari, Burj al arab, Mall of the Emirates and and and...).

If I don't know the port-of-call and the sights are not in walking distance I'm one who likes to book the tours, so I did on this cruise.

In Khasab I did a tour to see some of the region; it was nice to see more as just the port area, but it was not that nice (but that's more because the place is not that interesting), most of the people went with some little boats to see the "fjords".

In Muscat, Abu Dhabi and Sharjja I did the classic Sightseeing tour; it's always better for visiting such places as Mosques when you do it with a guide, so that you know how to behave.

Back in Dubai I did like AmoMondo the flight with the seaplane as I like to expericence (for me new) kind of transport. And that's really the only way who you can see the Palm Island.

Edited by onyx007

Be aware that there are also two other ships sailing out of Dubai, we returned on Saturday and as well as the Serena there is also the Aida Diva and MSC Orchestra (our cruise) we used Euros and Dollars in Muscat and Dubai as well as UAE Dirham.

In Oman Eight of us used a Taxi mini bus for a 3 hour tour which is clearly cheaper than an individual Taxi, in Dubai Six of us also took a 3 hour tour and with a tip cost us 300 Dirham approx £10 pp.

• 1 month later...

hey there Amomondo ! I believe we have spoke a few times before on here - I often cruise solo too and have picked your brains many a time about MSC cruises! Not sailed for a while with them actually since they stopped catering to solos very well.

Anyway - I am seriously considering the Solo Dubai Cruise in March like you - I have never cruised the gulf before and was wondering how the weather is likely to be , and generally is it worth doing ? I'm not a huge eater and to be honest not too fussed about huge variety of food and all that - I just fancy a nice break in the sun - the prices are pretty good too for solo for sure.

I dont really want to have to do excusrions all the time - is there enough to do and pass some time at each port ?

look forward to hearing - I may even book the same date as you!;)

hey there Amomondo ! I believe we have spoke a few times before on here - I often cruise solo too and have picked your brains many a time about MSC cruises! Not sailed for a while with them actually since they stopped catering to solos very well.

Anyway - I am seriously considering the Solo Dubai Cruise in March like you - I have never cruised the gulf before and was wondering how the weather is likely to be , and generally is it worth doing ? I'm not a huge eater and to be honest not too fussed about huge variety of food and all that - I just fancy a nice break in the sun - the prices are pretty good too for solo for sure.

I dont really want to have to do excusrions all the time - is there enough to do and pass some time at each port ?

look forward to hearing - I may even book the same date as you!;)

Hi there cutecat!

Yeah I'm in the same boat as you pardon the pun - MSC don't seem to want us solos anymore.

Weather in the Gulf in March is great. Sunny all day long and not very humid (unlike their summer when it gets well in to the 40s and is very very humid evidently). Temperatures will be around mid twenties, perhaps a few degrees hotter at some ports and a bit cooler in the evening.

I almost never do excursions, don't like being herded around so go off doing my own thing quite happily. Both Oman and UAE are extremely safe for solos. You have to dress a bit more conservatively in Oman than in Dubai or Abu Dhabi. It is so safe, with almost no crime- actually very civilised with pleasant manners and everything well organised.

There is absolutely no shortage of things to do in Dubai whatever your tastes. It is one of my favourite winter destinations and not too far to fly to get there. It really depends on what you like and if you give me an idea of the things you enjoy, I can suggest somethings. Taxis are regulated, safe, reliable, plentiful and above all else incredibly cheap compared to the UK and most other places. It is all very new and you have to dig a bit for history if that is what you like. The newness though is kind of part of the attraction of the place.

Oman on the other hand is a complete contrast, really old and just wonderful. People are so friendly. In Muscat, you can go to the Muttrah Souk from the port gates very easily or stroll the lovely Corniche and watch the fishing Dhows in the harbour. Seeing other parts of the city like the Mosque, Palace or Opera House will require a taxi or perhaps the HOHO bus. Taxis aren't metered in Oman, so you have to agree a price up front and they are cheaper if you don't pick one up at the port gates.

There isn't much to do in Khasab itself from what I've managed to gather. I've always just stayed onboard. There is a bit of a town a walk away and may just go see it this time. Otherwise the "thing" to do is a dhow cruise of the fjords. There is a private company called Khourshem that many use. I just don't like the idea of prebooking a tour of any type though. There are also jeep safaris to the wadis and up in the hills to see some ancient forts. I'm kind of got fatigue on that kind of sightseeing on holiday. I've got a stressful a job with long hours and really just want to chill and relax and enjoy the sun.

That said, you can't really go to Abu Dhabi and not see the Grand mosque. It is really quite new, but absolutely stunning. Awe inspiring even. Not quite as much to do as in Dubai but again if you tell me what you like, I can give you some ideas.

As for Costa, more similarities than differences to MSC. Some of their ships can be a bit garish in comparison but really I've enjoyed all my cruises with them and they are definitely more solo friendly. Rock bottom prices for the gulf at the moment and with just a 30% single supplement! still very affordable. Managed to snap up a bargain flight with Emirates too for just £322 and they are a great airline with 30kg checked bag allowance!

So this will be my fourth year running I've done a Costa cruise to this region. That kind of says a lot! I'd prefer to spend 5 nights in Dubai and 2-3 in Oman but with good hotels prices by a beach costing over £200 per night plus, this cruise is a bargain alternative.

It would be nice to have a fellow solo on my cruise. Hope you do book. Would be happy to meet up sometimes.

Edited by AmoMondo

Hi there, I have also booked the 20 March Dubai cruise with Costa because of the good price, not too long flight and hopefully nice warm weather. I have been on the same cruise a couple of years ago, but with company. This is my first solo cruise, so good to read you've done this before and it is safe to travel there as a female by myself. That was my main concern!

Hi there, I have also booked the 20 March Dubai cruise with Costa because of the good price, not too long flight and hopefully nice warm weather. I have been on the same cruise a couple of years ago, but with company. This is my first solo cruise, so good to read you've done this before and it is safe to travel there as a female by myself. That was my main concern!

I can relate to that. I was very nervous my first visit. Was dressing about what to wear, medication, and just how people would react to me as a woman on my won. Absolutely no problems whatsoever. Less problems than I have when I go to London!

Last year I ended up having a table for dinner just for me, but previously I was seated with a mix of couples and other women on their own who were English speakers.

Good to know that I definitely won't be the only person onboard on my own!

Edited by AmoMondo