AZURA A422 - August 14th 2014

lynne17

We've just booked this cruise. 17 days to the central Med. Balcony cabin on 'C' deck. Excited already. Anybody else booked? Never been on Azura so would be grateful for any advice re best/worst places to go for two 50+ year olds without kids. Thanks, Lynne.

• 2 months later...
We've just booked this cruise. 17 days to the central Med. Balcony cabin on 'C' deck. Excited already. Anybody else booked? Never been on Azura so would be grateful for any advice re best/worst places to go for two 50+ year olds without kids. Thanks, Lynne.

Well, you have certainly got the best balcony cabin in our opinion and the cruise is one that we are hoping to do. Like yourselves we have been on Ventura and Azura is almost identical. The Glasshouse is different on Azura and apart from that and the Big screen by the pool instead of a retracting roof the only difference is the decor, having said that, the Azura feels a bit more formal as it still has the semi-formal nights. Also, you can't walk all the way around on the promenade deck.

Thanks for the comment mandsb1990. Heard and read some really good things about the Glass House - I've seen some sample menus for the food and wine and they look really tasty. We actually prefer the formal side of cruising, so having the semi-formal nights as well as the formal nights is something which will enhance our cruise. Hope you get to go on this cruise :) :)

Thanks for the comment mandsb1990. Heard and read some really good things about the Glass House - I've seen some sample menus for the food and wine and they look really tasty. We actually prefer the formal side of cruising, so having the semi-formal nights as well as the formal nights is something which will enhance our cruise. Hope you get to go on this cruise :) :)

We also prefer the more formal side of cruising and are looking forward to more holidays on Azura now that Ventura will be staying in the med (we don't like flying), we did prefer Ventura due to the retracting roof over the pool and the large exchange bar but during the recent refit this has now become half the original size. The Glasshouse is a lovely place to eat and has a good selection of wines, another evening dining option which i would recommend a visit, is Verona which is an Italian restaurant. We didn't try the speciality restaurants so can't comment but we did hear that Sindhu was very good!

We are on Ventura tomorrow for 2 weeks, probably for the last time.

Already looking at next years cruises and 14 Aug is our first choice.

Happy cruising!!

• 1 month later...

Currently enjoying a villa holiday in Cyprus Lynne. It somehow does not seem right counting down to the cruise as this holiday is also lovely but cannot help it. What are you looking forward to the most? There is a new facebook group for Azura, nice bunch would recommend it to you.

Hi I am travelling on this cruise to with my son. Never been on Azura before very much looking forward to it. Have just returned from a good trip on Aurora. Lets see if Azura can better it.

Hello everyone,

I realise that my original post now seems to have developed into a "roll call" (I have posted on that section too), but it really is nice that so many like-minded people have posted a reply on here.

Hi again Wwalbers, you asked "what are you looking forward to the most". I can honestly say all of it. Never been on a cruise this long, never been on Azura (only been on Oriana, Ventura and Arcadia), and love cruising. 360 days to go :)

Lynne

• 6 months later...

As you have already booked, you may have the opportunity to cancel and go with RCL or Celebrity. Failing that suggest you forget the MDR and only eat in the Trattoria or speciality restaurants. Most importantly on embarkation, go immediately to the Retreat and book for the duration of your cruise. This is a place of sanity amongst the utter madness and obnoxiousness of the sun decks.

For an unbelievable sight, take a seat and watch the nightly stampede of guests who rush from the theatre to the show lounge. Seats are at a premium and if you are not in the first 100 it is standing room only.:eek:

If you fail to book the Retreat, then you have the opportunity to join the chair hoggers appreciation society, they start assembling with books and bags from 06.00 every morning. Arrive after 10.00 and forget a sun bed.

Standards have and are dropping as P&O heads for the Lower end of the market with the price point to suit.

But the Azura does have it's cheerleaders and one is happy for these people to stay with the brand.

I hope that reply was somewhat tongue in cheek as I for one found it offensive. Poor Lynne now must be wondering what to do.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

What part did you find offensive.

Where to dine

The Retreat

Chair hoggers

Cheerleaders

Lowering of standards

The phrase "these people"... I am one of those what you refer to as" these people"....someone who has had a good experience of Azura. It looks like you are looking down on those who have had such an experience, but I am sure you are aware people are all different, and of the 3000 people on the ship at any one time there will be a vast array of different types of people.

The phrase "these people"... I am one of those what you refer to as" these people"....someone who has had a good experience of Azura. It looks like you are looking down on those who have had such an experience, but I am sure you are aware people are all different, and of the 3000 people on the ship at any one time there will be a vast array of different types of people.

So it was a reference to cheerleaders that you found offensive?

I understand now!

One of the buffet restaurants on Azura turns into a waiter service at night - very nice! If you want a seat by the window get there at 6.30 tho!

Also the Glasshouse is a very good place for lunch - especially on sea days - only about £5 each for the food :)

The food in the Glasshouse is delicious. If you are interested in wine try the wine-tasting session they run. Well worth the money, plus they serve little titbits of food so you can see how the wines pair with certain types of food. It's also great that if you like the sound of a wine but don't want to commit to a full glass or bottle, they will give you a little sample to try.

The nashta in Sindhu is great for a light lunchtime meal - nothing is too hot or heavily spiced.

The head bartender at Breakers Bar does THE best cocktails - shame we only discovered this late on in our cruise.

………. my original post now seems to have developed into a "roll call" (I have posted on that section too)………..

I was about to suggest that you posted in the Roll call section - but you beat me to it!

Azura is very nice - similar to Ventura - but Metropolis in particular is improved (better video wall) although I miss the American style diner on Ventura. Also a shame that there is no closing roof over a pool, but you shouldn't need that in the Med (although I might in the Fjords in May!)

Have a great holiday!

As you have already booked, you may have the opportunity to cancel and go with RCL or Celebrity.....

For an unbelievable sight, take a seat and watch the nightly stampede of guests who rush from the theatre to the show lounge. Seats are at a premium and if you are not in the first 100 it is standing room only.:eek:

I've only just come across this thread and this post in particular and I was shocked that Port Royal denigrated Azura but praised RCI. We've cruised on both and many other ships, and we thought they all had something to offer .... until our first cruise on Independence of The Seas. The scrum that is the Royal Promenade on the RCI ships put us off completely: it is like being in Oxford Street during the sales with everybody pushing and shoving and queuing for food and drinks. We will never cruise with them again. On the other hand, we found Azura to be a lovely ship with a range of quality dining and entertainment venues and lots of deck space. I'm sure Lynne will find that out for herself.

Hello all, and thank you for the comments. I did notice Port Royal being somewhat critical, so decided to give my thread time to settle. I'm really looking forward to Sindhu and the Glass House as I've read some excellent reports. Also, having been on Ventura, I know that to avoid the 'scrum', the main pool area and the buffet at peak times are places to steer clear of, and anyway, I prefer the MDR for breakfast and lunch, and use the open deck away from the pools or my own balcony for some peace and quiet.

143 days to go. Cannot wait :)

Hello all, and thank you for the comments. I did notice Port Royal being somewhat critical, so decided to give my thread time to settle. I'm really looking forward to Sindhu and the Glass House as I've read some excellent reports. Also, having been on Ventura, I know that to avoid the 'scrum', the main pool area and the buffet at peak times are places to steer clear of, and anyway, I prefer the MDR for breakfast and lunch, and use the open deck away from the pools or my own balcony for some peace and quiet.

143 days to go. Cannot wait :)

I cant wait either Lynne :)