MSC Meraviglia - The most uninspired route ever

Bra_BE2014

Is it just me, or were you also disappointed with the inaugural route of the big new ship?

Not to mention La Goulette was somehow included after 2 terrorists attacks. Would you do it just for the ship itself?

I was very unimpressed with the itinerary too. I'm not a lover of massive sized ships but with it available to book did have a look to see if the itinerary was appealing and it wasn't so I will not be booking on her.

Ship and onboard experience does matter to me, but travel to new places matters far more. I don't mind that not all new ports are new (pretty hard to get that anyway) but if I'm returning then it has to be somewhere I really like.

I was very disappointed to see the Meraviglia's itinerary. However, I booked YC for the inaugural so it won't matter to me where it goes as I'll most likely stay onboard. I've other itinerary-driven cruises booked but I do enjoy a trip where the ship is the destination, too.

It's a standard W.Med route. but saying that I love Barcelona and haven't been to Naples for a long, long time.

I've booked to go on the ship and enjoy the Yacht Club, so probably will stay on board at Marseille, definitely stay on board a Tunis (I hope they go to Valletta instead); and maybe walk to the cathedral in Messina and watch the astronomical clock at mid-day as the animated figures go into action

Pete.

• 1 year later...

Totally Agree,

We booked back in Feb this year as traveling with kids this ship ticked all our boxes, basically Naples being the only port of interest to us, and now we found out that it docks at 1pm!

Not enough time to do Amalfi coast! that's forsure!

Terrorism wouldn't put me off La Goulette. Can't let them win. I've been to Paris 3 times this year, with a fourth booked, and to Brussels. I'd go to Egypt if there were flights.

It is a pretty standard itinerary I guess. Shame it docks in Naples so late

Completely agree. I was in Tunisia when the shootings happened there and i'd still go back. As long as anywhere you go, your insurance covers you, then i'd be there no problem. Terrorism or not.

I agree with the others who dislike the idea of mega-ships that MSC is now building. Gone will be the small interesting ports that only lesser-sized ships can get into. Can you immagine disgorging 6,000 cruise passengers on come of the Greek islands for example? To me, MSC's Musica class of ships are perfect - not too small and not too large.

p.s. I too would love a port call at Tunis. I think over the years I've been on three or four cruises with scheduled port calls at Tunis which were cancelled en route due to weather or civil unrest.

I agree with the others who dislike the idea of mega-ships that MSC is now building. Gone will be the small interesting ports that only lesser-sized ships can get into. Can you immagine disgorging 6,000 cruise passengers on come of the Greek islands for example? To me, MSC's Musica class of ships are perfect - not too small and not too large.

p.s. I too would love a port call at Tunis. I think over the years I've been on three or four cruises with scheduled port calls at Tunis which were cancelled en route due to weather or civil unrest.

Having sailed on Magnifica in April I totally agree about the Musica class ship - I loved it! I'd only ever been on Fantasia class beforehand. I've since sailed on Sinfonia and felt that it was overcrowded due to its size.

I think in the next couple of years we're going to really see the impact these large ships will have on port visits. I reckon it'll be a nightmare in some places where the infrastructure isn't there to facilitate the crowds that descend on them for a few short hours on the port visits. As it is, the big ships are limited in the ports they call to - that can be seen from the same old, same old, Western Med MSC itineraries. Also, taxis tend to rip you off when there are a number of large ships in port, just because they can!

It's a shame that Tunis is off - not because it is a great port, because it isn't - but we miss the duty-free availability which MSC hasn't replaced with a non-EU port. At least Valletta is the replacement - we were only there once before and the weather was so bad we gave it a miss. Hopefully we'll get to see and enjoy it on our Meraviglia outing.