Can you take hairdryer and straightener on board?

Mardot

Hi all,

This is my first post. :)

We are going on our very first cruise in a few weeks with Celebrity.

I have been told that you can't take certain types of electrical equipment on board, is this correct? I know they have hairdryers, but I like to use my own and I also have a straightener, which is my must have.

I have enjoyed reading your posts, very informative.

Thanks

Edited by Mardot

I would add, that I would ALWAYS bring my own dryer. The ones they have onboard are very annoying. Short cords, not a lot of places to plug them in, have to hold the buttom to keep them running, no cool feature. Definitely take your own! You will need an adapter, but there are 120 and 220 outlets.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

I don't take my own hair dryer, just because I don't want to haul it, but i do agree that the hair dryers on board are usually terrible--not very powerful and I hate having to hold the button down continuously--makes my hand ache. I'm going to try the hint I read about using a powerful rubber band to hold it down next time.

I guess they use these weak hair dryers as a way to minimize fire hazards? I can't think of any other reason to have such a poor product. I have been on a couple of cruises that had actual 'real' hair dryers that weren't attached to the wall--much better.

Just an observation on this- I have both Australian & UK appliances. I've noticed that straighteners, hair dryers and curling irons don't quite reach the same temperature when plugged in via an adapter on the ship. If you have good quality appliances it shouldn't make too much difference - just a heads up for you.

Hi all,

This is my first post. :)

We are going on our very first cruise in a few weeks with Celebrity.

I have been told that you can't take certain types of electrical equipment on board, is this correct? I know they have hairdryers, but I like to use my own and I also have a straightener, which is my must have.

I have enjoyed reading your posts, very informative.

Thanks

No Problem. :)

I don't take my own hair dryer, just because I don't want to haul it, but i do agree that the hair dryers on board are usually terrible--not very powerful and I hate having to hold the button down continuously--makes my hand ache. I'm going to try the hint I read about using a powerful rubber band to hold it down next time.

I guess they use these weak hair dryers as a way to minimize fire hazards? I can't think of any other reason to have such a poor product. I have been on a couple of cruises that had actual 'real' hair dryers that weren't attached to the wall--much better.

Yes the rubber band trick works great. We had a room seward who gave me a large rubber on one cruise did the trick.

I took my hair drier & a hair drying brush (plug in variety). To be frank it was a waste of time!

Mine are UK appliances & I'm not an electrician but I believe it's the voltage difference that causes the low power. I ended up using the ships hair drier to virtually dry my hair & the drier brush to "style" as best I could, my own hair drier went back in the case.

I took my hair drier & a hair drying brush (plug in variety). To be frank it was a waste of time!

Mine are UK appliances & I'm not an electrician but I believe it's the voltage difference that causes the low power. I ended up using the ships hair drier to virtually dry my hair & the drier brush to "style" as best I could, my own hair drier went back in the case.

Were you using the 220 outlets, or a convertor? Each cabin has some of each. I accidentally plugged my 120 dryer into a 220 outlet that had a convertor in it, no more hairdryer in Istanbul. I went and bought a Euro on, use it on the ship in the 220 outlet, and it worked fine. If you tried to do a 220 dryer in a 120 outlet, it would be very much under-powered.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

I was on Solstice in 2013 Sunshine Coast and took my hair straightner and an adapter. I have alot of hair on my head to dry (my hairdressers are always amazed that they need to mix up more colour) and I had no problems with Celebrity's hairdryer in the cabin and was equally happy with my hair straightner using the adapter. (pre-cruise and being my first ever cruise, I had prepared myself for those little dreaded hotel style hairdryers that slot into a moulded plastic casing hanging on the bathroom wall - NO!! that's not Celebrity, and I was very happy).

Oh, and as a side note, took an extension lead 'just in case' ..... didn't need it. Left it with friends we visited at one of the ports so we had less weight flying home. Rooms and bathroom really are set up well.

Won't be taking my hairdryer next time either but will still take my straightners. However, if you are cruising out and back in your home port and don't need to worry about luggage weight, why not take your own familiar, trusty hairdryer - if only for familiar comfort?

Edited by Embrace

Just an observation on this- I have both Australian & UK appliances. I've noticed that straighteners, hair dryers and curling irons don't quite reach the same temperature when plugged in via an adapter on the ship. If you have good quality appliances it shouldn't make too much difference - just a heads up for you.

I have GHD straighteners (which apparently are the 'best' on the market) and they never reached full temperature either! Luckily I have reasonably straight hair so wasn't too much of an issue.

In the past, we've done late dining so washed my hair at 6 ish, sat on the balcony with a drink and my book to let it dry off a bit and used the ship's hairdryer.

Next time we're on early dining so this has just made me think that I should take my own hairdryer as won't have time to lounge around on the balcony :(