Taxis in Ayr

Peteymil

Just curious --which cruise line uses Ayr as a port?

Azamara and Celebrity both are on one weekend in July this year, to coincide with the British Open golf championship at Troon.

OP - the special circumstances may affect the availability of taxis in any case, so previous cruising experience (if there is any) may not be hugely relevant.

Edited by Cotswold Eagle

Azamara and Celebrity both are on one weekend in July this year, to coincide with the British Open golf championship at Troon.

OP - the special circumstances may affect the availability of taxis in any case, so previous cruising experience (if there is any) may not be hugely relevant.

I think you are right. I will probably just walk to the train station.

My husband sent an inquiry to the Port of Ayr, asking how far to the train station. The port contact replied that it is 1 mile, but they are in the process of trying to set up shuttles. My husband isn't sure if they meant shuttles to the train station or to the golf course.

I think he said they are hoping to have more details in a month. I will post when we learn more information.

Edited by cosmo1027

My husband sent an inquiry to the Port of Ayr, asking how far to the train station. The port contact replied that it is 1 mile, but they are in the process of trying to set up shuttles. My husband isn't sure if they meant shuttles to the train station or to the golf course.

I think he said they are hoping to have more details in a month. I will post when we learn more information.

That would be great. Thank you!

• 1 month later...

I am having a hard time figuring out how to spend the day in Ayr. I'm not interested in the Open or a train to Glasgow. TripAdvisor likes Culzean Castle, but I don't see any way to get there?

Any suggestions?

I am having a hard time figuring out how to spend the day in Ayr. I'm not interested in the Open or a train to Glasgow. TripAdvisor likes Culzean Castle, but I don't see any way to get there?

Any suggestions?

Looks as though you can take a bus from Ayr. http://www.nts.org.uk/Property/Culzean-Castle-and-Country-Park/Travel-information

http://www.rome2rio.com/s/Ayr/Culzean-Castle

https://www.stagecoachbus.com/plan-a-journey

Edited by Alaskanb

• 2 weeks later...

We heard back from the port contact. He checked with council and they are not arranging transport to the open, but he said that taxis will be available.

He also provided the following information for the two closest train stations. He recommended Ayr, if you want to see some of the town.

The distances between the port and railway stations by foot is as follows:

- Ayr – 1.1miles, 25mins walk

- Newton on Ayr – 1mile, 21mins walk

We heard back from the port contact. He checked with council and they are not arranging transport to the open, but he said that taxis will be available.

He also provided the following information for the two closest train stations. He recommended Ayr, if you want to see some of the town.

The distances between the port and railway stations by foot is as follows:

- Ayr – 1.1miles, 25mins walk

- Newton on Ayr – 1mile, 21mins walk

Thank you for the info!

I was born in Ayr and still visit regularly.

Suggest you do not go to Newton on Ayr as all trains do not stop there.

The main station (Ayr) is a walk through the main shopping street. A fairly easy walk.

An alternative for a day visit is to Alloway the birth place of the poet Robert Burns. Local buses will take you there.

The local tourist office is in Sandgate about a 10 minute walk from the Harbour.

• 2 months later...
I was born in Ayr and still visit regularly.

Suggest you do not go to Newton on Ayr as all trains do not stop there.

The main station (Ayr) is a walk through the main shopping street. A fairly easy walk.

An alternative for a day visit is to Alloway the birth place of the poet Robert Burns. Local buses will take you there.

The local tourist office is in Sandgate about a 10 minute walk from the Harbour.

Is the Ayr train station easy to walk to from the port?

• 1 month later...

Any info you want on Ayr give me a shout at

Aslgas at gmail dot com

I still have a home on Ayr beachfront and am there every month

The train station is a 15 minute walk from the harbour and the bus station is 10 minutes.

If going to the golf take the train or bus to Prestwick Airport stop which will drop you near the bottom end of the course where there is an entrance into the open, this entrance is beside the postage stamp hole.

Culzean Castle can be reached by local bus service as can Burns cottage and Brig of Doon.

Please feel free to email me for info.

George

Any info you want on Ayr give me a shout at

Aslgas at gmail dot com

I still have a home on Ayr beachfront and am there every month

The train station is a 15 minute walk from the harbour and the bus station is 10 minutes.

If going to the golf take the train or bus to Prestwick Airport stop which will drop you near the bottom end of the course where there is an entrance into the open, this entrance is beside the postage stamp hole.

Culzean Castle can be reached by local bus service as can Burns cottage and Brig of Doon.

Please feel free to email me for info.

George

Do you think it would be easy for us to find our way walking from the ship to the Ayr train station? Is it difficult to find?

The port is a small industrial port and you will be tendered in to I would think the north side of the river

Walk up the the river until you come to the Bridge then turn right walk over the bridge this will take you to the bottom of the high street where you will turn left and walk all the way to the top of the high street, at the top you will take a left had turn onto Kyle Street and follow the road to the top turn right onto Smith Street and the station is on your left

All this should take 20 mins

Ask anyone if you are unsure.