Barrier Reef Live-Aboard Diving

FluffsMom

Looking for recommendations for good 3-4 day live-aboard dive trips. We will be cruising 3/28/17 through 4/10/17 - in and out of Sydney - and can plan the diving either before or after the cruise. We're thinking it would be Cairns-based, but since we haven't made any travel or hotel arrangements yet (except the cruise!!), we are very flexible about where. This is a bucket-list trip for us and would love to get in as much diving as possible. We're ok divers but not terribly experienced so we need a company that has good equipment and can give us good guidance. Any recommendations?

Edited by FluffsMom

Looking for recommendations for good 3-4 day live-aboard dive trips. We will be cruising 3/28/17 through 4/10/17 - in and out of Sydney - and can plan the diving either before or after the cruise. We're thinking it would be Cairns-based, but since we haven't made any travel or hotel arrangements yet (except the cruise!!), we are very flexible about where. This is a bucket-list trip for us and would love to get in as much diving as possible. We're ok divers but not terribly experienced so we need a company that has good equipment and can give us good guidance. Any recommendations?

Cairns would be good.

But I'd suggest before your cruise as you will have a no fly period after your last dive, but that may even be a problem getting from Cairns to Sydney.

You may be better to consider somewhere like Port Stephens (near Newcastle) so you don't need to fly.

I must be honest and say I'm not up to date in the time restrictions, but it is something you really need to be aware of.

Theres really only one good live aboard choice out Cairns which is Mike Ball...

Don't do a whitsundays one... most are aimed at inexperienced backpackers

that time of year presents its own issues so I would def choose after the cruise die to cyclone possibility\

Cairns would be good.

But I'd suggest before your cruise as you will have a no fly period after your last dive, but that may even be a problem getting from Cairns to Sydney.

You may be better to consider somewhere like Port Stephens (near Newcastle) so you don't need to fly.

I must be honest and say I'm not up to date in the time restrictions, but it is something you really need to be aware of.

Thanks - We are redoing our SCUBA certifications so we will be freshly versed in the times and all - I'm not too worried about finding a reason to stay a few more days!!

Theres really only one good live aboard choice out Cairns which is Mike Ball...

Don't do a whitsundays one... most are aimed at inexperienced backpackers

that time of year presents its own issues so I would def choose after the cruise die to cyclone possibility\

Thank you - I've seen his name on some of the options I've been looking at so now I'll look harder at him!!

Thanks - We are redoing our SCUBA certifications so we will be freshly versed in the times and all - I'm not too worried about finding a reason to stay a few more days!!

Great.

Sorry I'd taken you as newbies, and while I am way out of date, over the years came across many who wanted one last dive (after a week of diving) an hour or so before they were due to fly. Hope I didn't offend you.

And if you might stay a few more days, more reaon to leave it till after your cruise.

Great.

Sorry I'd taken you as newbies, and while I am way out of date, over the years came across many who wanted one last dive (after a week of diving) an hour or so before they were due to fly. Hope I didn't offend you.

And if you might stay a few more days, more reaon to leave it till after your cruise.

Seriously, THANKS!! No offense at all - I understand about newbies who don't understand and push limits. We regularly run across them here in our mountains who head out for a fun afternoon wholly unprepared to actually deal with the conditions. Can't even count how many of them we have hauled out or called help for them!

Those look wonderful - thank you for sharing the link :)

Glad I could help. I came across them by accident once and thought they would be a lovely way to see the GBR. I've only done day trips for snorkelling from Port Douglas so far.

If you're looking at Mike Ball like dive trips, then also maybe consider Spirit of Freedom. It's similar in price to Mike Ball and definitely not aimed at the backpacker market. Here's a page listing all the best dive trips in Cairns http://visitcairns.com.au/store/products.aspx?categoryid=f50de87a-ec45-423e-b531-7b5ddb9e6cdc

If you're looking at Mike Ball like dive trips, then also maybe consider Spirit of Freedom. It's similar in price to Mike Ball and definitely not aimed at the backpacker market. Here's a page listing all the best dive trips in Cairns http://visitcairns.com.au/store/products.aspx?categoryid=f50de87a-ec45-423e-b531-7b5ddb9e6cdc

Thanks! I will take a look :). Trying to talk hubby into spending more for a nicer live aboard - he's much more easily pleased than I am on stuff like this :)