Does anyone else think the Catamaran Snorkeling Tours are overrated

kathy884

I had heard reports about snorkeling with the Sea Turtles here in Barbados being a highlight of many people's cruises and signed up for one of these trips.

It was a nice day on the Catamaran (with a nice attentive crew), and yes we saw a few big turtles (like three really close) and the ship wrecks at the marine park were interesting and there were some nice colorful fish. The guides feed turtles and fish to get them to come out.

But it was really quite a site with tons of boats and hundreds of snorkelers (my husband called in the lines of sea cows.) //In some other ports, it was just as fun so much less expensive to do snorkeling at marine parks on our own (wider variety of marine life), and kind of fun to be some of the few people there.

Based on all the glowing reviews, I'm not sure what I was expecting. I guess I just thought the experience overall was overrated and overpriced. Just my opinion and I haven't heard anyone else every say this. I think I'm in the minority for sure. Every operator it seems gets glowing reviews. They all seem pretty similar and all go to the same place.

Anyone else have this opinion?

I had heard reports about snorkeling with the Sea Turtles here in Barbados being a highlight of many people's cruises and signed up for one of these trips.

It was a nice day on the Catamaran (with a nice attentive crew), and yes we saw a few big turtles (like three really close) and the ship wrecks at the marine park were interesting and there were some nice colorful fish. The guides feed turtles and fish to get them to come out.

But it was really quite a site with tons of boats and hundreds of snorkelers (my husband called in the lines of sea cows.) //In some other ports, it was just as fun so much less expensive to do snorkeling at marine parks on our own (wider variety of marine life), and kind of fun to be some of the few people there.

Based on all the glowing reviews, I'm not sure what I was expecting. I guess I just thought the experience overall was overrated and overpriced. Just my opinion and I haven't heard anyone else every say this. I think I'm in the minority for sure. Every operator it seems gets glowing reviews. They all seem pretty similar and all go to the same place.

We have gone on two tours there, the first one was with Shasa, it was great, saw about 9 turtles, they took us to a different spot that was not as crowded! Loved it.

The second time we went with another company & they just took us to a near by bay & we didn't see as much & it wasn't as good at all.

I highly recommend Shasa Catamaran!!!:)

I guess I just thought the experience overall was overrated and overpriced. Just my opinion and I haven't heard anyone else every say this. I think I'm in the minority for sure. Every operator it seems gets glowing reviews. They all seem pretty similar and all go to the same place.

I've been reluctant to post, but I agree with you completely and we went with a very highly reviewed company. Perhaps because we didn't have the best weather, the main person I expected to be onboard wasn't, and we had to really go searching for turtles.....

I guess I was expecting it to be far more than it turned out to be?

Edited by canadarocks

That's part of the reason I chose to book with Shasa. I haven't done the excursion yet, but he claims to go to the 'better' spots, and get there early before all the other boats arrive!

You will have a great time!! I'm so glad you booked with them! They did take us to the best places & got there before the other boats, we saw the Tiami coming as we left & they were so packed! Have fun!:)