Roatan? Will RCCL cancel this stop?

We are booked on a cruise this summer with one of the stops being Roatan. We are wondering if RCCL will follow NCL and cancel this stop in light of the violence. Any thought? It would not break my heart if they opted for a different stop.

We are booked on a cruise this summer with one of the stops being Roatan. We are wondering if RCCL will follow NCL and cancel this stop in light of the violence. Any thought? It would not break my heart if they opted for a different stop.

I'm wondering this as well. I think it depends how long NCL stays away from Roatan. If it's an extended period, RCCL might follow suit like the Mexican Riviera cruises.

(Edited to add - Sorry, just to clarify I was referring to the west coast cruises they stopped doing a few years ago, not any current concerns with Mexico)

Edited by CategoryQ

We are booked on the Vision to go to Roatan, Belize, AND Mexican Riviera! :eek:

But as long as we are aware of our surroundings and don't get into areas that are

questionable...not really worried. We love the Costa Maya stop and great time

we enjoy at Mahahual.

Edited by island lady

Just for a little clarification.

Roatan is part of Honduras, not Mexico.

The Mexican Riviera is the west coast of Mexico (Cabo San Lucas, Mazatlan, Puerto Vallarta, etc) not the east coast (Cozumel, Costa Maya, etc).

This is not posted to pick on anyone, just help you know where you really are.

Specific to Roatan, make sure you stay in a decent sized group (four or more adults), take a ship tour or hire a reputable local guide.

We went with Victor Bodden when we were there and would hire his team again in a heartbeat.

We are booked on the Vision to go to Roatan, Belize, AND Mexican Riviera! :eek:

But as long as we are aware of our surroundings and don't get into areas that are

questionable...not really worried. We love the Costa Maya stop and great time

we enjoy at Mahahual.

You're probably thinking of Riviera Maya. The Mexican Riviera is on the west coast.

There have been issues in other ports RCI visits but they continue to go there. Unless there is a pattern of violence that develops its not likely they will pull out. Often, they simply reiterate warnings and suggest approved tours. There are ports my wife and I would not even consider venturing out on our own. We tend to stick to group tours.

We are headed to Roatan in November. It was one of my favorite stops. One thing, make sure you aren't referring to general Honduras violence. Roatan is an island off the coast. Although I have heard some stories, they are few and far between. Fewer than say Cancun.

I think this port will stay open - IMO. Carnival added a beautiful development a few years ago with a beach and zoo (similar to RC Falmouth port).

But RC may need to make this type of investment to make this work.

We had a great zip line experience - but I would not venture out without a guide. I would consider this no different than Belize.

Royal actually does have a relatively new pier on the SW end of the island. The shopping area is clean, prices do vary widely on the same items from shop to shop so it's good to explore a bit.

They don't go to Roatan as much as the Carnival lines do, so they don't have as much investment need.

Here is a link to another thread with more info.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2026237

If you are sailing in the next few weeks I would be extra cautious, however if it is not for a few months I believe (and hope) that they get things under control so things will be a little better at least. No matter where you travel to you should always be cautious of the environment around you, keep valuables out of sight, don't over indulge, and don't be out alone. This is a good reminder to all who travel to countries such as this to be alert and don't think you are invincible.

As of now we are still getting off the ship when we go. If things change we may change our mind, I will be keeping an eye on the situation and keep hoping it gets better not worse.

and by the way, it looks like NCL is going back soon. Take a look at the Roatan board and there are NCL cruisers stating they will be visiting Roatan in the next few weeks.

Edited by akcruz

In 2011, Roatan was our favorite stop! Beautiful island! Great zip-lining!

We also used Victor Bodden and they were awesome!!

Just for a little clarification.

Roatan is part of Honduras, not Mexico.

The Mexican Riviera is the west coast of Mexico (Cabo San Lucas, Mazatlan, Puerto Vallarta, etc) not the east coast (Cozumel, Costa Maya, etc).

This is not posted to pick on anyone, just help you know where you really are.

Specific to Roatan, make sure you stay in a decent sized group (four or more adults), take a ship tour or hire a reputable local guide.

We went with Victor Bodden when we were there and would hire his team again in a heartbeat.

I have read about the recent incident. We will be there in August. The only change we have made in plans is we will do the zip-line activity through the ship excursion and not on our own. The price is not that much more and we will not need to walk a distance on our own to get to the pick-up point. I figure the extra money for a little more security, while maybe not necessary, wasn't a bad thing.

We just love Roatan. We've become friends with Rony of Ronystours.com. He is very proud of his beautiful island. So many of the residents of Roatan rely on tourism. I hope RCCL doesn't follow NCL. I also think NCL will return to Roatan soon.

I sell real estate and many people in our area don't even lock their doors. It is a very "safe" area. However, like anywhere else - you can get one crazy person that becomes violent.

We just love Roatan. We've become friends with Rony of Ronystours.com. He is very proud of his beautiful island. So many of the residents of Roatan rely on tourism. I hope RCCL doesn't follow NCL. I also think NCL will return to Roatan soon.

I sell real estate and many people in our area don't even lock their doors. It is a very "safe" area. However, like anywhere else - you can get one crazy person that becomes violent.

The article doesn't read like it was one crazy person if they are talking about a string of events over time. However I do agree in that a small percentage can change things for everyone. There is problems in the Bahamas all the time and they still stop there so this won't be any different. Security will be tighter in the tourist areas I'm sure and as long as visitors use common sense. I wouldn't have a worry traveling there.

I don't know, I just got back from Roatan and I felt very safe. I did an excursion that took me to the West point of the island and when I got back I wandered on and off the pier for shopping.

Violence is everywhere. If cruiselines cancelled ports everytime there was a rash of violence they would never go anywhere.