Where do the Celebrity ships dock?

Iamthesea

My husband and brother have booked a game of golf at Prestwick Golf Club for next June during our stop in Greenock/Glasgow. We will be on the Celebrity Silhouette.

Can anyone tell me where we dock and how far it is to the golf club? Also, without renting a car, which would be the best way to get to the club? They are thinking about hiring a taxi to drive them. I am more worried about how they would get back to the ship? I cannot see that there would be a number of taxi's lined up at Prestwick. :rolleyes: The guys will not be carrying their own clubs. They will rent. ;)

Edited by Iamthesea

I cannot see that there would be a number of taxi's lined up at Prestwick.

Well, the simple solution would be to have someone at the Club call them a taxi. And considering that they're right beside Prestwick Airport, I would think there would be taxis in the area, so not much of a wait.

That said, looking at Google Maps, there also seems to be a train option via Glasgow to near the Greenock ferry terminal, which I'm using for directions assuming the cruise ships should dock nearby - I really don't know if that's accurate, however, as I've never been there.

OK, thank you. I have no idea where the ship docks, or where the golf club is. I am asking for my husband and then I can Google when I find out where each is located. So you think it may be far enough to have to take a train? :eek: This little outing of his is going to cost a fortune! And this is only one of the ports he is trying to arrange golf in. I may have to put my foot down and limit it to 2-3 ports. LOL :rolleyes:

Edited by Iamthesea

Well, simply googling 'Prestwick Golf Club' gives you the map location - and according to Google Maps it's a good 40 miles/1h10m drive from Greenock.

Is there a particular reason they want to play this specific course? 'Cause there are lots of closer courses.

Edited by Twickenham

Have no idea, but I feel sure my DH probably knows about this course from seeing it on TV, or someone has recommended it.

I do have the address, but was waiting to find out where the ship docks. If I don't get an answer here, I will post on Celebrity. So is Greenock the name of a port and not a city?

The ship will dock at the quay by the big white building in the centre of this map https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@55.9560119,-4.7593441,14z/data=!3m1!1e3

I've deliberately left this at a large scale to show that there is a Golf Course not far away, unless they specifically want to go to Prestwick for some reason. Also, if you use the train as suggested by Twickenham, the stations are indicated by the red double arrow symbols (look immediately south of the terminal on the 'yellow' A78). If you can firm up hubbys intentions a bit more we can help better with trains/taxis.

Simon

DH says that he is aware of the other courses, but they are like playing at a municipal course in our hometown. Prestwick was once the home of a British Open. :rolleyes:

He has a tee time of 10:49. The ship docks at 8:00 and leaves at 18:00. He plans to take a taxi.

sddsddean - Your link only shows a far away view of the UK. :(

A quick look around suggests that the taxi fare is likely to be in the region of £70 each way. Of course, if there are four of them, it doesn't look so bad.

And yes - for the return journey, just ask someone at the golf club to call for a local taxi or pre-book the return with the same firm that takes him.

DH says that he is aware of the other courses, but they are like playing at a municipal course in our hometown. Prestwick was once the home of a British Open. :rolleyes:

He has a tee time of 10:49. The ship docks at 8:00 and leaves at 18:00. He plans to take a taxi.

sddsddean - Your link only shows a far away view of the UK. :(

Then he should play his round at Prestwick. And if there's anything you want to do that he baulks at because of the time-expense-whatever, you can say, "well, you got to play golf at Prestwick...":D ;)

Edited by Twickenham

A quick look around suggests that the taxi fare is likely to be in the region of £70 each way. Of course, if there are four of them, it doesn't look so bad.

And yes - for the return journey, just ask someone at the golf club to call for a local taxi or pre-book the return with the same firm that takes him.

2 of them. I saw a post of Tripadvisor that mentioned a $60 dollar cab into Glasgow, so assumed the fare would be around $60-$70. £70 would be quite a difference. Maybe they should look into the train! :eek:

Then he should play his round at Prestwick. And if there's anything you want to do that he baulks at because of the time-expense-whatever, you can say, "well, you got to play golf at Prestwick...":D ;)

Believe me...my sister-in-law and I are keeping tabs on this one! :D This round at Prestwick, alone, will cost upwards of $700 for the two of them.:eek:

Edited by Iamthesea

2 of them. I saw a post of Tripadvisor that mentioned a $60 dollar cab into Glasgow, so assumed the fare would be around $60-$70. £70 would be quite a difference. Maybe they should look into the train! :eek:

Believe me...my sister-in-law and I are keeping tabs on this one! :D This round at Prestwick, alone, will cost upwards of $700 for the two of them.:eek:

If they went by train they'd have to get a taxi to Greenock station, then a train to Glasgow Central and change to another train for Prestwick. The train would take around 1.5 hours each way, so they'd have to allow at least 2 hours so a taxi would definitely be much better. The Inverclyde Tourist group has a website

http://www.inverclydetouristgroup.co.uk

They are volunteers who assist cruisers at the port so you might find info about taxi availability etc

For those suggesting other courses, the point of going to Prestwick is it is where the first Open was played and the course was designed by the original Tom Morris so has a real place in golfing history. This is a once in a lifetime opportunity for your husband and for things like this it's worth forgetting about the cost and go for it!

Edited by tartanexile81

Thank you for the link. I'll have DH check it out.

If they went by train they'd have to get a taxi to Greenock station, then a train to Glasgow Central and change to another train for Prestwick. The train would take around 1.5 hours each way, so they'd have to allow at least 2 hours so a taxi would definitely be much better. The Inverclyde Tourist group has a website

http://www.inverclydetouristgroup.co.uk

They are volunteers who assist cruisers at the port so you might find info about taxi availability etc

For those suggesting other courses, the point of going to Prestwick is it is where the first Open was played and the course was designed by the original Tom Morris so has a real place in golfing history. This is a once in a lifetime opportunity for your husband and for things like this it's worth forgetting about the cost and go for it!

That's what DH said! :D

The volunteer link is great...thank you. They have already nixed the car rental thing. Said it would take up too much valuable time renting and returning, plus DH is not keen on driving in another country.

Hmmm, Google maps has obviously changed. No matter what scale I choose, it gives the same link!! Try searching for Greenock yourself. The ship docks at the big quay by the big white building...you can see container cranes too.

Simon

I did so through your link yesterday. Just had to enlarge and look for the big white building next to Greenock. Thank you again.