Mexican Vanilla

arpie05

I am headed to Cozumel this weekend and wondered what your opinion on Los Cinco Soles vanilla.

I looked at my bottle at home and it does not contain coumarin which is the big no no in buying.

I know it's a touristy shop - but is this vanilla the good vanilla or should I be going else where to purchase vanilla in Mexico.

Thanks!

I am headed to Cozumel this weekend and wondered what your opinion on Los Cinco Soles vanilla.

I looked at my bottle at home and it does not contain coumarin which is the big no no in buying.

I know it's a touristy shop - but is this vanilla the good vanilla or should I be going else where to purchase vanilla in Mexico.

Thanks!

I swear by their vanilla, and pick it up in liquid, paste, and bean form. Which reminds me - I need to add that to my shopping list for when we're in Cozumel in February... running low on it!!!

There is vanilla everywhere......my dw is addicted everytime we go to mexico she has to buy some .....we have 4 or 5 bottles at the house plus vanilla beans ...... She bakes maybe twice a year......

Thanks!

That's my favorite brand. I love it. And yes, that is the good kind. Several people recommended it to me and I use it all the time. Next time I'm buying a bigger bottle and maybe the clear one.

Edited by GlendaleCruiser

Thanks!

That is the brand I get as well. The small bottles are great to give away as souvenirs.

Thanks all for the positive comments! I'm thinking they'll make great christmas gifts (always buying ahead). I'm on the Elation leaving Saturday and Thursday so I'll have two stops in Cozumel to look for a good deal!

(I did read online that clear vanilla was not real vanilla - by the way - to not buy in my researching)

Thanks all for the positive comments! I'm thinking they'll make great christmas gifts (always buying ahead). I'm on the Elation leaving Saturday and Thursday so I'll have two stops in Cozumel to look for a good deal!

(I did read online that clear vanilla was not real vanilla - by the way - to not buy in my researching)

Did not realize that--thanks for the tip.

I always buy the small bottles of the regular brown kind for Christmas gifts, too. Whipping cream just wouldn't be the same without a little sugar and real vanilla.:)

Did not realize that--thanks for the tip.

I always buy the small bottles of the regular brown kind for Christmas gifts, too. Whipping cream just wouldn't be the same without a little sugar and real vanilla.:)

I bought one big one little last time and down to the last little bit of the little bottle (originally purchased to be a gift --- hmmm I guess for me).

I did notice that the large bottle toward the bottom had pieces or dried stuff but I used, I figured in baking it didn't matter if there was that stuff there -- Someone had asked about shelf life, I also would wonder about evaporation after awhile.

We have many Mexican markets in my city and I've been buying it here so I don't have to lug it home. Del Sols vanilla is very good. I bought it in Cozumel a few yrs. ago and got hooked. I like mexican vanilla in coffee with alittle splenda. If you have a mexican grocery check the brands and prices before you leave home.

Los Cinco Soles is the only place where I buy my Mexican Vanilla! (...and it's the only place I shop on Cozumel as well!) Get a big bottle and you won't go wrong. I also get several smaller ones as gifts for friends.

I love it, & just ran out :(

If you get to Texas, you might check in the Mexican section of a grocery store - many of them carry the same brand as sold there, although I swear it's a bit different. At least it'll hold you over until your next trip to Cozumel!

I love it and told DH that everytime I start running out we need to plan a cruise to Cozumel;).

I tried that, and my DH slipped an extra large bottle in his suitcase! I also love their clear vanilla. You can say that vanilla is vanilla, but I will debate that with you 'til the cows come home!' There's just that extra something about the brand that Los Cinco Soles carries...

You're right that clear vanilla is not the same as "real" brown vanilla, but for recipes where color is important, it's a good substitute. If I want a more vanilla-ey flavor, I add a bit extra, but remember that a little goes a long way, and don't just arbitrarily double it!

I bought powdered vanilla at Los Cincos about 3 weeks ago. I have not used it but it smells fantastic. Has anyone used the powdered form? Wondering about how to measure it in recipes. Love Los Cincos. The store downtown is a lot bigger than the one at the port.

HAPPY CRUISING!!

Thanks!

It's a terrific vanilla - and besides, you can't make Flan de café (recipe below:)) without it:D

Have a great cruise!

Flan de café (this is the flan served at Pancho's Backyard)

12 eggs

3 tablespoons of your favorite instant coffee

3 tablespoons of Los Cinco Soles brand pure vanilla

1 quart skim milk

1 ½ cans of condensed milk (596 ml)

½ can of coconut cream (calahua)

The rind of one lime

½ pound of White sugar to caramelize

Preparation

- Cook sugar in a dry small heavy saucepan over moderate heat, undisturbed, until it begins to melt. Continue to cook, stirring occasionally with a fork, until sugar melts into a deep golden caramel. Immediately pour into a 9-inch round metal cake pan (3 inches deep) and tilt dish to coat bottom (use caution, dish will be hot). Cool until hardened, 10 to 15 minutes.

- In a bowl, whisk the eggs until mixed perfectly, add the condensed milk, the coconut cream, the lime rinds, the instant coffee and mix until well-blended.

- Pour egg mixture into the flan mold, cover and place the mold into a luke warm water bath for about one hour

- Chill flan, covered, until cold, at least 8 hours.

To unmold flan, run a thin knife around edge of dish to loosen flan. Invert a large platter with a lip over dish. Holding dish and platter securely together, quickly invert and turn out flan onto platter. Caramel will pour out over and around flan.

just remember to put it in your CHECKED LUGGAGE on the way home, or you'll be REALLLLLY mad at yourself!!

I love Los Cinqo soles, too.. Someday, I'll get to the downtown store....but so far, no luck!

It's a terrific vanilla - and besides, you can't make Flan de café (recipe below:)) without it:D

Have a great cruise!

Flan de café (this is the flan served at Pancho's Backyard)

12 eggs

3 tablespoons of your favorite instant coffee

3 tablespoons of Los Cinco Soles brand pure vanilla

1 quart skim milk

1 ½ cans of condensed milk (596 ml)

½ can of coconut cream (calahua)

The rind of one lime

½ pound of White sugar to caramelize

Preparation

- Cook sugar in a dry small heavy saucepan over moderate heat, undisturbed, until it begins to melt. Continue to cook, stirring occasionally with a fork, until sugar melts into a deep golden caramel. Immediately pour into a 9-inch round metal cake pan (3 inches deep) and tilt dish to coat bottom (use caution, dish will be hot). Cool until hardened, 10 to 15 minutes.

- In a bowl, whisk the eggs until mixed perfectly, add the condensed milk, the coconut cream, the lime rinds, the instant coffee and mix until well-blended.

- Pour egg mixture into the flan mold, cover and place the mold into a luke warm water bath for about one hour

- Chill flan, covered, until cold, at least 8 hours.

To unmold flan, run a thin knife around edge of dish to loosen flan. Invert a large platter with a lip over dish. Holding dish and platter securely together, quickly invert and turn out flan onto platter. Caramel will pour out over and around flan.

Do you bake this flan?