CocoCay Snorkeling

MamaGCruise

Does anyone know if we can snorkel at CocoCay without paying for the excursion? I plan to bring our gear along anyway, and was just wondering if you HAVE to pay for it?

No charge for snorkeling. However, you must wear a vest, so if you don't have one, you will be required to rent one for $6.

No charge for snorkeling. However, you must wear a vest, so if you don't have one, you will be required to rent one for $6.

Do you have to wear a vest if you're swimming / going into the water at all?

If not, what's the distinction between swimming and snorkeling? :confused:

Edited by brillohead

Do you have to wear a vest if you're swimming / going into the water at all?

If not, what's the distinction between swimming and snorkeling? :confused:

You don't need a vest to go swimming. However, if they see you if the water with snorkel gear, they will require you to have a vest.

Edited by clarea

If you have a mask, fins and snorkel then a vest is required or at least that's what we found during our stop last May.

Nobody has ever said anything to me in 3 visits about getting a vest.

Does anyone know if we can snorkel at CocoCay without paying for the excursion? I plan to bring our gear along anyway, and was just wondering if you HAVE to pay for it?

I know this wasn't a part of your question but just a heads up: DO NOT buy the fish food they have there! We bought it and the fish actually attacked us to the point where my BF was bleeding. Not heavily, but we were surprised that they were that vicious. No problems other than that, but just don't feed them :)

Hi

We were there in November and spent the day on Willies Beach (?) where we swam and snorkeled using our own gear. However when we went to snorkel in RC's designated area we HAD to purchase a vest. And we were glad we did as we went right out & it was pretty tiring! However it was the best snorkling we had ever had - fish food was not required! There were 'rest stations' of buoyancy aids and they had sunk a ship and plane in different areas to attract the fish. It was fab.

I'm so "fluffy" that you'd need huge concrete boots to get me to sink in salt water.... a vest is completely ridiculous. :rolleyes:

Are they at least the blow-up kind where blowing it up is optional?

The vest is a SAFETY VEST and they will only call you on it in the supervised snorkel area.

The SAFETY VEST is inflatable

if you don't want to wear one just stay away from the area monitored by lifeguards.

As a certified diver since 1973 with many dives and snork' trips ... AND being a 'professional lifeguard' for an additional 40 years I ALWAYS wear a safety vest.

But if it is uncomfortable for you ... go without ....

but if THIS lifeguard does not get to you in time remember ... I might have stopped to put on my safety vest

I travel with my own inflatable snorkel vest.

Will this do?

I too am a very experienced swimmer, that's why I snorkel with a vest. Just playing in safe. You never know when a current can pull you out to sea. Had this happen once in Puerto Rico once about 10 years ago. Luckily my life-guarding knowledge and experience kept me calm. Bought my own vest on Amazon as soon as I got home.

If the required vests are the inflatable snorkeling specific kind that you don't have to inflate unless needed, I'm okay with that.

But I've seen excursions where you were required (due to "insurance requirements") to wear one of these gems to snorkel:

41tgauqSHKL.jpg

Needless to say, trying to swim face-down wearing one of these is NOT my idea of an enjoyable snorkeling experience. :rolleyes:

But no worries if you don't want to come after me if something goes south. As a nurse, I'll still provide medically necessary care to you regardless of your attitude. I don't discriminate when it comes to being a professional healthcare provider. No hard feelings.

Edited by brillohead

But no worries if you don't want to come after me if something goes south. As a nurse, I'll still provide medically necessary care to you regardless of your attitude. I don't discriminate when it comes to being a professional healthcare provider. No hard feelings.

do you first put on gloves, a mask, footies, a gown? Why? PROTECTION?

A flotation device is a prophylactic of my profession and sometimes effective after the fact.

do you first put on gloves, a mask, footies, a gown? Why? PROTECTION?

A flotation device is a prophylactic of my profession and sometimes effective after the fact.

Most of my patients don't wear a five-point harness, helmet, neck roll, and flame-retardant suit to drive to the grocery store, because the risk of being in a NASCAR crash is pretty low in those circumstances.

;)

• 2 weeks later...