Gaidos seaside inn

Where are you booked else where.

Gaidos restaurant is legendary!

There is Nicks and Pelican Club also there.

The club is now open to public. Wonderful chef

and food for upscale restaurant .

Motel is a motel that has been around forever it seems.

Rooms have been redone a number of times.

How recently I do not know.

But rooms are reasonably priced for a motel fronting on Seawall

and Gulf of Mexico. And still a decent room, but it is a motel.

Not a resort hotel.

I have stayed there a few times over a number of years.

And at other hotels until I retired to Galveston.

Edited by ssb

I stayed there last year, yes it is dated but for a couple of nights it was a good place to stay. They have a good breakfast in the morning, and the restaurant is excellent!!:) Didn't use the pool but it did look nice, it's right across the street from the gulf!! They even still use a big ol' key for your room!!!:p I plan on staying there again!:)

Edited by kansas kruiser

It actually has 4stars on tripadvisor .89.99 for bottom floor seA view 99.99 upstairs.Booked at Laquinta east has 2 srars total amount would be about 150 more for laquinta east beach

Laquinta east is an old been around long time motel also

and I would consider it equal to or a small step up from Gaidos .

I live in galveston. But have not stayed at la Quinta !

It is a place to stay also. By the way it's not on beach

But on Seawall Blvd and across from Gulf of Mexico also

and it doesn't have as good of views gaidos has, I would say .

Edited by ssb

I think it's a great place! The pool is really, really nice since the renovations. Even though we live just up the freeway, my son and I like to get away and take mini-staycations when we can, just for a change of scenery, and Gaido's is friendly and dependable without draining my bank account. We're booked there again next month for one night for one last hurrah together before he moves in to college there the next day. :)

I think it's a great place! The pool is really, really nice since the renovations. Even though we live just up the freeway, my son and I like to get away and take mini-staycations when we can, just for a change of scenery, and Gaido's is friendly and dependable without draining my bank account. We're booked there again next month for one night for one last hurrah together before he moves in to college there the next day. :)

Gina

Congratulation to you and for son for starting college

And a nice fun thing to help celebrate it. :)

Edited by ssb

Gina

Congratulation to you and for son for starting college

And a nice fun thing to help celebrate it. :)

Aww, thanks!! I'm so proud of him. And rereading my reply above, it sounds like he will be attending college at Gaido's, lol, instead of TAMUG. :p He's so excited that he'll be in Galveston fulltime now, and I am unspeakably jealous. :rolleyes:

We stayed at Gaido's last year. You can tell it is older, but it is well kept and clean. The pool is kind of unique and pretty. They also offer free cruise parking for guest. We tried to book there for our cruise in September but they were already booked up for that weekend.

• 4 weeks later...

Just wanted to update this with our stay last night at Gaido's. Loved it!! Had the most basic room level for $79, and ours was upstairs directly next to the observation deck. DS & I really loved that. Here was our view, steps from our door:

observationdeck_zps14383e0e.jpg

The room wasn't fancy, but it was good-szied and everything was extremely clean. I love the chairs outside every door.

20140820_145650_zpsubeqwt0j.jpg

20140820_150757_zpshiprxjum.jpg

I didn't bring my phone with me to the pool, but it was seriously awesome! We went at night, and it looks so pretty with all the changing colors. The hot tub felt great, and it's nice having the bar right there -- they made me a Malibu Colada that was every bit as good as ones I get onboard. :D We just swam and relaxed and had a great time.

And I wish I had gotten pics of the included breakfast, but we were too busy stuffing our faces, lol!! Again, nothing fancy or exotic -- but filling and really good. Fresh, hot blueberry muffins they make there every morning, same with the egg/cheese/bacon breakfast tacos, pancakes, waffles, homemade heavy whipped cream, cinnamon apples, cereal, and oatmeal. The muffins were truly delish. And they have freshly popped popcorn and pink lemonade in the lobby 24/7, as well as huge warm chocolate chip cookies when you check in. (DS truly loved Gaido's for that, lol.)

We didn't eat at Nick's because it's our tradition to eat at The Spot, but it looked really nice and I overheard several people saying it was good.

The staff at Gaido's is *so* friendly and nice. You feel like you're staying with family, not at a hotel. And from what I understand, they have some really nice renovated rooms for a bit more $$. But for our purposes and tastes, this was absolutely just fine with us. It's not the Galvez, but if you're looking for a friendly, homey, comfortable place in a great location at a great price, you'll be happy here. :)

• 2 months later...

I'm considering this for an upcoming cruise. Is the area around it decent/safe? The prices there seem almost too good to be true compared to other hotels (I know it's not a fancy Resort, but it looks like it will meet our needs).

Also, has anyone leveraged their free cruise parking? I assume we would need to take a cab to the port - any idea on an approximate cab fare?