Questions about Merida/Progreso

Will be traveling to Progreso in Dec 2013 on Carnival Elation

Does anyone have any recommendations about seeing Merida vs. Progreso? We are not big drinkers and would rather do beach activities in Cozumel.

I know there is a cathedral in Merida. Is there anything else of interest for a couple of hours? Is the double-decker bus tour of Progreso a better deal/option.

Should we book a tour with Autoprogresso just to get to Merida or is public transportation available?

Is the straw market/flea market in Progreso open during the week and where is it located?

Thanks for any help.

Tony and Saline

We did the beach, but my in-laws took a tour to chichen itza, they loved it.

Recently this World Heritage site was accorded another honor. In a worldwide vote Chichén Itzá was named one of the New Seven Wonders of the World.

http://travel.nationalgeographic.com/travel/world-heritage/chichen-itza/

Autoprogresso runs the shuttle at the pier and before letting us off the bus, they gave a rundown of their tours and the drop off is the bus station.

Edited by Sooner-Cruisers

Does anyone have any recommendations about seeing Merida vs. Progreso? We are not big drinkers and would rather do beach activities in Cozumel.

I know there is a cathedral in Merida. Is there anything else of interest for a couple of hours? Is the double-decker bus tour of Progreso a better deal/option.

Should we book a tour with Autoprogresso just to get to Merida or is public transportation available?

Is the straw market/flea market in Progreso open during the week and where is it located?

Thanks for any help.

Tony and Saline

Merida is interesting, but there isn't a ton to see outside of the little town square thing. Big church, old house, government building…thats about it.

I think you would find more to do doing the market, bus tour of Progresso.

Just my 2 cents from someone who has done both.

My vote goes to Merida. We went there by private taxi round trip for 4 for $70 total. We really enjoyed it as we were not on a crowded bus and could stop and get beer to drink on the way...Our driver was great..I've attached a few photos..

SANY1666.jpg

screen capture windows 7[/url

SANY1653.jpg

photo hosting sites

SANY1659.jpg

screenshot windows

SANY1659.jpg

screenshot windows

SANY1676.jpg

screen shot on pc

Edited by overthehillcruiser

Merida is interesting, but there isn't a ton to see outside of the little town square thing. Big church, old house, government building…thats about it.

I think you would find more to do doing the market, bus tour of Progresso.

Just my 2 cents from someone who has done both.

Merida is a city of almost a million people. I am not quite sure what the poster means by a "little town square". The zocalo or central plaza has the cathedral on one side, the governors palace on another side and is surrounded by side streets with shops and restaurants. One treat is to take a horse drawn buggy ride from the zocalo, up calle 60 to Paseo Montejo and back. I think the trip is about an hour and the buggies are parked on the northeast corner of the zocalo across the street from the cathedral. Paseo Montejo is a wide boulevard similar to the boulevards of Paris. There are still several old mansions facing the Paseo. Don't get me wrong. I like Progreso. We winter 5 miles east of Progreso. We make it a point to take visiting friends to Merida.

Merida is a city of almost a million people. I am not quite sure what the poster means by a "little town square". The zocalo or central plaza has the cathedral on one side, the governors palace on another side and is surrounded by side streets with shops and restaurants. One treat is to take a horse drawn buggy ride from the zocalo, up calle 60 to Paseo Montejo and back. I think the trip is about an hour and the buggies are parked on the northeast corner of the zocalo across the street from the cathedral. Paseo Montejo is a wide boulevard similar to the boulevards of Paris. There are still several old mansions facing the Paseo. Don't get me wrong. I like Progreso. We winter 5 miles east of Progreso. We make it a point to take visiting friends to Merida.

I meant the rest of the town looks like an old town vs. the town square with the church, shops, etc.

Don't get me wrong, I can see how to someone that is completely foreign to the culture may enjoy it. I just thought it was OK, then again, I live and have grown up in South Texas. Merida felt like the south side of San Antonio.

Thanks for any help.

Tony and Saline

Have you considered taking one of the ship's excursions to either Chichen Itza or Uxmal? They are both fantastic sites.

Hello. We just talked to the cab drivers right at the pier and it was no problem.I believe they have vans as well, and for a trip to Merida you can bargain a bit. We thought $70 for all four of us was really cheap. We gave Fernando our driver a $20 tip as he was so good..He just waited at the square for us in Merida..Outside the town area of Progreso we stopped at a convenience store and got 4 beers, a bottle of water, and a coke for Fernando for less than $5..It was so much better than being on a crowded bus.

Question for overthehillcruiser, How did you find the taxi? Did they have anything bigger for 6 people? thank you.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

I noticed it has been awhile since anyone has mentioned hiring a taxi on any of the forums... If you have recently been to Progreso and were able to hire a taxi, I am interested in what you paid. We are a family of four wanting to travel to both Merida and Dzibilchaltun during our time at port. Thanks for any help or advise any of you can offer.

• 3 weeks later...