Sun Princess at Benoa Bali today 8 April 2014

Sun Princess is tendering passengers ashore to Benoa Bali today. The view from the bridge cams shows the resorts at Nusa Dua. Its a long tender ride ashore to Benoa .

82_zpsc949eb64.jpg

We thoroughly enjoyed our tender from the Radiance OTS when we were there in November last year.

We waited back until we were almost last on so just about 30 minutes later we were ashore where our private Bali car driver was waiting. A great day spent seeing the countryside around Ubud!

Hi,

DH and I are going on a "Top End" cruise on Solstice next February. We leave from Fremantle and thence cruise to Port Headland. I have to say that Port Headland looks like a desert in the middle of nowhere, and DH has looked at maps but we just don't know about sightseeing, what's to see in the area.:(

Could you please tell me if there is anything to see at Port Headland, and how you booked a private car and driver in Benoa. (That's the next port of call). Can you also please tell me how much it cost?

We then go on to Darwin, (LOVE DARWIN), Cairns, Brisbane, Newcastle and finally, Sydney.

ps The photo sure gives us an idea of how far it is in the tender....

Now all we need to do is think about getting from Nambucca Heads, (half way between Brissie and Sydney) and then getting to Fremantle! Easy! (HELP). :confused:

Would appreciate any help that can be given.

Hi,

DH and I are going on a "Top End" cruise on Solstice next February. We leave from Fremantle and thence cruise to Port Headland. I have to say that Port Headland looks like a desert in the middle of nowhere, and DH has looked at maps but we just don't know about sightseeing, what's to see in the area.:(

Could you please tell me if there is anything to see at Port Headland, and how you booked a private car and driver in Benoa. (That's the next port of call). Can you also please tell me how much it cost?

We then go on to Darwin, (LOVE DARWIN), Cairns, Brisbane, Newcastle and finally, Sydney.

Now all we need to do is think about getting from Nambucca Heads, (half way between Brissie and Sydney) and then getting to Fremantle! Easy! (HELP). :confused:

Details on costings in Benoa can be found on the Roll Call for your trip. I have already arranged a private tour for the port on that cruise as we will be on it too.

Hi,

Unless you are into iron ore there is not a lot at Port Headland and a walk around the town can be done in under half an hour(if you walk slowly:) )

The "highlights" would be the sail in when the bulk carrier tugs put on a water show with their fire hoses and the sail out where most of the residents of the town line the foreshore and wave goodbye. Enjoy

Thanks beamb41 for your information. I'm still finding my way through the maze in Cruise Critic, but I'll see if I can find the appropriate Roll Call for our trip.:D

Thanks, gbenjo for your lovely descriptive text of Port Headland. We had a sinking feeling that it was going to be a non-event, but for goodness' sake can anyone tell me why the ship is stopping there? I note that a Princess ship departing a few weeks after us is stopping in Broome on it's cruise. Not grizzling mind, but I don't see the rationale in stopping in Port Headland if it's possible to stop in Broome..... However, I am looking forward to meeting the people who've registered on the Roll Call.

Thanks beamb41 for your information. I'm still finding my way through the maze in Cruise Critic, but I'll see if I can find the appropriate Roll Call for our trip.:D

Thanks, gbenjo for your lovely descriptive text of Port Headland. We had a sinking feeling that it was going to be a non-event, but for goodness' sake can anyone tell me why the ship is stopping there? I note that a Princess ship departing a few weeks after us is stopping in Broome on it's cruise. Not grizzling mind, but I don't see the rationale in stopping in Port Headland if it's possible to stop in Broome..... However, I am looking forward to meeting the people who've registered on the Roll Call.

I think Broome would have a lot more to offer.:D

I think Broome would have a lot more to offer.:D

Unfortunately the Solstice and the Radiance are too big to berth at Broome so not much they can do about it:( Quite sure they would prefer Broome if it were possible.

Hi,

Hi Ratacake

We did the Solstice top end Feb just gone great cruise

people of port headland are very friendly and helpful but if I was there again I would just stay on-board

As for Bali unless you are on a ship excursion be prepared to stand in line for quite a while waiting for the tender

It was a great cruise and you will love it, have your camera ready when you sail through the Torres straight around Thursday island breath taking

Enjoy:)

Hi Ratacake

We did the Solstice top end Feb just gone great cruise

people of port headland are very friendly and helpful but if I was there again I would just stay on-board

As for Bali unless you are on a ship excursion be prepared to stand in line for quite a while waiting for the tender

It was a great cruise and you will love it, have your camera ready when you sail through the Torres straight around Thursday island breath taking

Enjoy:)

When Pacific Princess was doing the Top End and Round Australia cruise, Thursday Island was actually a port of call.

Unfortunately the Solstice and the Radiance are too big to berth at Broome so not much they can do about it:( Quite sure they would prefer Broome if it were possible.

The tenders would be way too far out and the trips too long I would assume.:D

Hi,

Hi, I live in Port Hedland and the part you want to see is actually the port. The iron ore ships are amazing and it's a very busy port. The town always goes out of its way to welcome the cruise ships and has a small market of locally made goodies. Only about 20,000 people live here and they work hard, play hard, I myself haven't watched a ship come in as I'm always at work in south Hedland. There are some amazing places to see but they are mostly 2-3 hours drive away, so they can't be done on a one day visit. If you do get off the boat to look around, make sure you visit the art gallery, and the silver-star train.

Hi,

Hello there

My Mother lives in Nambucca Heads so I visit regularly! I can give you details of all ports and what we did at each if you'd like to email me at the following email address (no spaces)

gae.chann @ gmail.com

Better still, following this link where I show photos and give details of the whole cruise last Oct/Nov 2013. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1933564

Regards!

Edited by gaechann

Details on costings in Benoa can be found on the Roll Call for your trip. I have already arranged a private tour for the port on that cruise as we will be on it too.

Please could you e-mail me the contact for your private tour as we are going to stop in Benoa next August Thank you

Hi,

Hello Ratacake

We have done the top end cruise twice. 1st time we "pushed the boat out" and took a mini suite at the aft of Sun Princess...absolutely fabulous as we sailed from Sydney, then on to Brisbane, Townsville, Cairns, Cooktown, Darwin, Broome, Exmouth, Geraldton and finally Freo.

2nd trip was last Feb/Mar on Solstice...virtually same as your cruise. We did a deal with Celebrity and not only got a Concierge class cabin on the hump for a fabulous price, we also managed to get them to provide the air from Bne to Perth.

I know many commented on why "Port Hedland"...but in truth many of us don't really know a lot about the WA coastal areas and so I am glad we went there.

For Bali, where we stayed overnight, I organised day trips via an Oz coy based in Perth called: http://www.balisuccesstours.com.au/bali/Home.htm . Fantastic service and the prices were right....actual cost depends on your tour. We were delayed getting ashore on first day, due to Indonesian Immigration "regulations" ;), but our tour guide was there waiting for us no problems

We also like Darwin, and this time we took a tour around all the Japanese invasion sites..very interesting. Previous trip I hired Darrell in Darwin...who operates a hire car business and we had a personalised 2 hour tour for 4 of us for $100.

We were somewhere off Arnhem Land, when the captain announced that we were changing course so we could meet up with a rescue helicopter. Apparently one of the crew had suffered a heart attack and had to be taken to hospital. A fascinating diversion for the passengers for what was a very serious event. This however meant we were late getting into Cairns, and I was grateful we had changed our booking here to a ships tour going out to green island. Although a little rushed it all worked out well.

You will thoroughly enjoy your top end cruise - especially on Solstice...she is a magnificent ship - we are sailing again on her in December doing the NZ cruise.

Cheers