Carnival in Australia

I have searched but really can't find a great deal of info on CC about Carnival Spirit in Australia.

I've only cruised once, last February on the Radiance. I loved it so much my daughter and I booked a cheap deal on Carnival Spirit for next month.

My question is can anyone explain why Carnival offers nothing here is Australia compared to their American sailings? They seem to be from a different planet. No alcohol packages, no free room service, nothing you seem to be able to pre purchase before sailing. Are we second class citizens or something?

I plan on enjoying my cruise.....no bed making or cooking for ten nights so nothing can be THAT bad but their pre cruise service plus useless website and lack of on board stuff is a niggle.

Any thoughts or answers appreciated.

Jenny

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Forums mobile app

I have searched but really can't find a great deal of info on CC about Carnival Spirit in Australia.

I've only cruised once, last February on the Radiance. I loved it so much my daughter and I booked a cheap deal on Carnival Spirit for next month.

My question is can anyone explain why Carnival offers nothing here is Australia compared to their American sailings? They seem to be from a different planet. No alcohol packages, no free room service, nothing you seem to be able to pre purchase before sailing. Are we second class citizens or something?

I plan on enjoying my cruise.....no bed making or cooking for ten nights so nothing can be THAT bad but their pre cruise service plus useless website and lack of on board stuff is a niggle.

Jenny

can i also add for any smokers onboard no one can smoke until they leave Sydney....wont bother the non smokers but a lot of people still smoke....this was mentioned on their facebook page

can i also add for any smokers onboard no one can smoke until they leave Sydney....wont bother the non smokers but a lot of people still smoke....this was mentioned on their facebook page

Thanks for that info.

They're different operations, so they can't just use the US side as it's not available here e.g. pre-booking things.

Being a single ship too, there's a lot of overhead, especially compared to the other lines in running a lot of things. As they grow e.g. with Legend, more can become possible.

Regarding room service, I believe that's because of local custom. In the US, it's normal to give tips to room service. Here, it's not so I believe they put the charge on to cover for the tips that are normally given there.

Jenny

We can also add the american system of tipping, if you want to be like the americans!

We can also add the american system of tipping, if you want to be like the americans!

No thanks.....but RCI has free room service on Australian sailings except between midnight and five thirty am and there is no requirement to tip.

They're different operations, so they can't just use the US side as it's not available here e.g. pre-booking things.

Being a single ship too, there's a lot of overhead, especially compared to the other lines in running a lot of things. As they grow e.g. with Legend, more can become possible.

Regarding room service, I believe that's because of local custom. In the US, it's normal to give tips to room service. Here, it's not so I believe they put the charge on to cover for the tips that are normally given there.

Okay that actually makes a lot of sense. But still the non availability of alcohol packages has me flummoxed seeing you can buy a non alcoholic one on board.

I can't think of a practical reason for that.

I can only guess that it's not something they want to do at this point. Perhaps they don't want to risk bad press about cruises encouraging all you can drink alcohol (given their history e.g. the Brimble case a few years back)?

I can't think of a practical reason for that.

I can only guess that it's not something they want to do at this point. Perhaps they don't want to risk bad press about cruises encouraging all you can drink alcohol (given their history e.g. the Brimble case a few years back)?

That actually makes sense too..... but still seems silly to me seeing RCI does it and doesn't cop any flack. It's seen more as a convenience. And I'm sure it makes RCI money seeing there have to be a lot of people who buy it for the convenience. We did it for the convenience plus I would say we got our money's worth but were never drunk.

I'm not grumpy about it, more curious as to their reasoning.

I do like that Carnival have beach towels and robes in their cabins!

When we were on our Spirit Cruise in December, we were asking the bar staff and some other Carnival staff why they don't have the alcohol package on the Spirit in Australia, and none of them gave a definite answer, however, 2 separate cruise members did tell us that they did offer either (can't remember!) an unlimited beverage package or cheap individual prices like in the US when they first started Aussie sailings, and on one particular cruise they actually ran out of beverages! They had to re-stock on one of the islands, which this crew member was saying was not common and they were all shocked and amused at how much 'Aussies' drank compared to what they were used to/had planned for.

This is probably not the reason at all why they don't have unlimited/cheap liquor, however, I did have a good chuckle that the Aussies drank the ship dry!

When we were on our Spirit Cruise in December, we were asking the bar staff and some other Carnival staff why they don't have the alcohol package on the Spirit in Australia, and none of them gave a definite answer, however, 2 separate cruise members did tell us that they did offer either (can't remember!) an unlimited beverage package or cheap individual prices like in the US when they first started Aussie sailings, and on one particular cruise they actually ran out of beverages! They had to re-stock on one of the islands, which this crew member was saying was not common and they were all shocked and amused at how much 'Aussies' drank compared to what they were used to/had planned for.

This is probably not the reason at all why they don't have unlimited/cheap liquor, however, I did have a good chuckle that the Aussies drank the ship dry!

Probably not true......but a wonderful urban myth! I like it.

The running out of alcohol thing was actually on the 16 night repositioning cruise from Honolulu. The ship restocked in Suva and took on some provisions from Pacific Jewel, which was also in Suva that day. That was the last sailing the drink packages were offered (because it was in a weird half US/half Aussie phase at that stage). I just think Carnival weren't prepared for a cruise that long. They also tried to starch their usual 7 days worth of entertainment into 16 nights and as a result, there wasn't a huge amount to do onboard.

Due to some very bad publicity surrounding several situations involving booze and dugs onboard their ships, Carnival Australia (mainly through P&O) has done a lot to improve their image from booze cruises to family friendly. This has been a big effort for them for the last few years, and the startup of the Carnival Cruise Line brand in Australia (when it was know to be quite a party brand in the US) made this even more important. This is why the drink packages aren't offered onboard the ships.

Edited by Royalty X

That actually makes sense too..... but still seems silly to me seeing RCI does it and doesn't cop any flack. It's seen more as a convenience. And I'm sure it makes RCI money seeing there have to be a lot of people who buy it for the convenience.

I agree that I'm sure RCL have done their sums and are making money out of it.

The difference with RCL is that they're not here year round (it's a bit different if it's foreigners to locals - even though they both ultimately have a US parent) and although not impossible to change they're just the same standard offering they have worldwide.

Whereas if Carnival did it, I could easily imagine the Telegraph making a point of their North Sydney head office and they're run by the same parent as P&O Aust, and so on.

It's the kind of bad publicity companies would try to avoid if they think about launching it here, whereas for RCL it's not a local decision to offer it, so not something they think about. If RCL got heat they could change the policy... but they'd just as likely say something like 'we have a good track record worldwide, haven't had any incidents with it, and manage it responsibly, yada, yada'

Thanks big m and royalty....... It does make a lot more sense now.

So the story did have basis in fact too but more to do with poor planning on Carnival's part.

Though I'm pretty sure that that wouldn't preclude them from at least selling shore tours online before sailing!

Edited by jennyau

That would be the repo cruise for the Spirit. I believe they drank all the beer.

What I don't understand is why we have almost no access to our cruise online. The only information you can get is the basic booking. You can't make restaurant reservations, buy the one drinks package available, buy room decorations or birthday cakes or flowers, the only way you can get anything done online is send a "request" so someone else can do it for you. It means they HAVE that information on a computer somewhere, it's just we as Australians have no access to it. Surely it couldn't be that hard, particularly as they have the code needed. That's what the American website has...

And I don't buy the "Australian market" rubbish. Other lines servicing Australia have alcohol packages and somehow are able to provide enough alcohol while still maintaining a family focus, other lines have online restaurant bookings, other lines have online shore excursions. Being based in Australia doesn't suddenly mean the company cannot organise anything...

Sent from my GT-I9295 using Forums mobile app

Edited by Yillup

I guess boredom can lead to over indulgence!

I don't drink a lot, but found drink prices on Carnival to be considerably more than on Royal Caribbean, so be prepared for that. They also use a measure, no free pouring spirits.

It will be a different experience for you, but it is a nice ship and you will have fun. I agree their website is completely sub standard.

What I don't understand is why we have almost no access to our cruise online. The only information you can get is the basic booking. You can't make restaurant reservations, buy the one drinks package available, buy room decorations or birthday cakes or flowers, the only way you can get anything done online is send a "request" so someone else can do it for you. It means they HAVE that information on a computer somewhere, it's just we as Australians have no access to it. Surely it couldn't be that hard, particularly as they have the code needed. That's what the American website has...

And I don't buy the "Australian market" rubbish. Other lines servicing Australia have alcohol packages and somehow are able to provide enough alcohol while still maintaining a family focus, other lines have online restaurant bookings, other lines have online shore excursions. Being based in Australia doesn't suddenly mean the company cannot organise anything...

Sent from my GT-I9295 using Forums mobile app

Yes "Australian Market" is rubbish! They wouldnt get away with it in US but they can here.

Last Carnival USA cruise I did in 2012 it was great to have our booze waiting for us in the cabin and we took it everywhere with us and from what I experienced Americans drink way more on-board a cruise than we do.

room service was free but i have never had the need for room service land or sea.

American cruisers dont tip anywhere near what they profess to tip:rolleyes: Carnival Ausification meant less bang for your buck period:D

I don't drink a lot, but found drink prices on Carnival to be considerably more than on Royal Caribbean, so be prepared for that. They also use a measure, no free pouring spirits.

It will be a different experience for you, but it is a nice ship and you will have fun. I agree their website is completely sub standard.

Thank you..... I'll pack extra dollars! I'm looking forward to the experience.

Yes "Australian Market" is rubbish! They wouldnt get away with it in US but they can here.

Last Carnival USA cruise I did in 2012 it was great to have our booze waiting for us in the cabin and we took it everywhere with us and from what I experienced Americans drink way more on-board a cruise than we do.

room service was free but i have never had the need for room service land or sea.

American cruisers dont tip anywhere near what they profess to tip:rolleyes: Carnival Ausification meant less bang for your buck period:D

You make some good points there, which I agree with. On our Carnival Glory (and 2 other US cruises) last year, I was astounded and somewhat amused by just how much some Americans can drink. Now, I am not complaining about that at all, just mystified that we aussies seem to bear the brunt of any conversation that is alcohol related. I actually think we drink far less than other nations. Also with Celebrity, we could take on 2 bottles of wine, but had to pay $20 per bottle regardless of where we drank it. DH wanted to drink the bottles on the spot rather than pay this :eek::D I am wondering if eventually all lines will cease allowing alcohol being bought onboard.

Re the tipping. Also agree with your comments. In fact, have just returned from Celebrity Millennium Honkers to Singapore, and we made a point in asking the cabin steward how many others tipped. We had pre paid our grats, and also slipped them some cash at end of cruise. We have done this for 20yrs. He said that on most cruises, he now averages only 2 cabins that tip, and that he believed it was a sign relating to the world economy not being so good. btw, no-one around us in the main dining room tipped (except us)....

I'm not to going to let this to spoil a good holiday. I'm sure they will have ample beers and wines on board.

Ditto...... I'm just disappointment that we are treated so differently. RCI was awesome.