Just Curious!

Cruiser765

I have just spent a very relaxing hour looking at the Liverpool 40th Concert videos together with the brilliant Tribute to QE2.

Absolutely wonderful and very touching, Thank You.

Reading your comments with interest too, regarding this beauty and Dubai.

Hasten to add that l think Cunard could and should have done better for this grand ladys' retirement.

Anyway enough said on that one!!

My 'Just Curious' question is

Once you have all said your farewells to her next year will any of you consider visiting her again when she becomes this 'floating hotel' in Dubai.

Thank You

Jackie

I have just spent a very relaxing hour looking at the Liverpool 40th Concert videos together with the brilliant Tribute to QE2.

Absolutely wonderful and very touching, Thank You.

Reading your comments with interest too, regarding this beauty and Dubai.

Hasten to add that l think Cunard could and should have done better for this grand ladys' retirement.

Anyway enough said on that one!!

My 'Just Curious' question is

Once you have all said your farewells to her next year will any of you consider visiting her again when she becomes this 'floating hotel' in Dubai.

Thank You

Jackie

Yes i will want to visit her once she has settled in , but i want to arrive by one of the other "Cunard Queens " :D (not Myles) :eek:

regards,

Gav :cool:

Nice of you to respond Gav, thanks, l have only sailed on her twice, but l find it so warming to read about everyones' experience and love for her.

Jackie

Im back on, next Friday, can`t wait ,:D meeting up with other CC`s on board and friends, including the crew and staff i have befriended, most of whom are moving to "QV" soon.

Yet to find out where my favourite Captain, Ian ,will be going ! :)

regards,

Yes Gav, saw your upgrade you lucky guy! Do hope you enjoy, l am greeeeeeeen with envy here! Although hoping to sail on her before too long if we can get the time. QG of course!!!!!;)

Jackie

Thanks, i will !

Don`t miss out, you will regret it ! ;)

Time will tell but currently I have no intention to visit the than former Queen Elizabeth 2 in Dubai.

I enjoyed sailing this grand lady very much. Part of the enjoyment certainly is the special atmosphere created by her appereance as well as by the people on board, staff and passengers alike.

It will be very different at her final resting place. I have no desire to visit Dubai and the "shopping and entertainment center" which will replace all what is beloved.

No NEVER !!! l will remember her how she was sailing the oceans, not tied up as some tacky tourist attraction . And as for her becoming a shopping and entertainment complex, they might have the money to buy whatever they want, Its doesnt mean that it will be tastefully done, l have visions of her being dipped in gold :eek: !!!

Like Gavin l will be interest to hear what happens to Ian and some of the crew as well

No. I don't think there is any point.

I know RMS Queen Elizabeth 2 as she is at the present, a living, vibrant ship. I've done a number of crossings on her, and have two westbound crossings to go. That's where she belongs - in the North Atlantic.

It's also why the Autumn Colours is the right cruise, for me, to say farewell to this icon.

Sic Transit Gloria Mundi

Matthew

Im back on, next Friday, can`t wait ,:D meeting up with other CC`s on board and friends, including the crew and staff i have befriended, most of whom are moving to "QV" soon.

Yet to find out where my favourite Captain, Ian ,will be going ! :)

regards,

Hi there

Is there a meet planned yet for Friday? If so, where & when? If not, shall we arrange one?

Andi

Hi there

Is there a meet planned yet for Friday? If so, where & when? If not, shall we arrange one?

Andi

Hi Andi,

It looks like it will be in the Chartroom at 10pm ! :D

regards,

Hi there

Andi

Andi,

here is a roll call for this cruise on the roll call threads, pop across say hi and get your name added!!!

Cheers

Myles

Hi Gavin,

Re your post at most of the QE2 staff going to QV soon I hope some of the longer serving staff will remain on board up until the end of next year like Mr Chambers MD of Queens Grill, Denis & bar tenders such as Arnulfo whos' mainly seen in the Golden Lion Pub or QG Lounge Bar?

If they all leave when QV comes out surely service levels could go downhill somewhat with lesser experience staff onboard QE2 if all the good ones go to QV?

Have a great cruise next Friday - am only sorry I am missing you by two days when I board next Sunday! & enjoy the upgrade.

Kind Regards,

Richard (RJMS74)

including the crew and staff i have befriended, most of whom are moving to "QV" soon.

Gavin,

My sources tell me that about 25% of the QE2 staff will be transferring to Victoria.

No-one who doesn't actively want to go will transfer.

The idea is to ensure Victoria starts well. They don't want QE2 backstage practice - she's a unique ship backstage as well as front of house, and that's bad for efficiency. Queen Mary 2 is, in essence, a Princess ship in many ways - all of which are hidden. Front of house remains Cunard.

Matthew

Matthew

Hi Gavin,

Re your post at most of the QE2 staff going to QV soon I hope some of the longer serving staff will remain on board up until the end of next year like Mr Chambers MD of Queens Grill, Denis & bar tenders such as Arnulfo whos' mainly seen in the Golden Lion Pub or QG Lounge Bar?

If they all leave when QV comes out surely service levels could go downhill somewhat with lesser experience staff onboard QE2 if all the good ones go to QV?

Have a great cruise next Friday - am only sorry I am missing you by two days when I board next Sunday! & enjoy the upgrade.

Kind Regards,

Richard (RJMS74)

I think that there will be a significant number of the staff that you and I know that will not transfer.

Equally, if all the long serving crew will be leaving before the end, will people really want to be on board for the end? I think not.....

Matthew

if all the long serving crew will be leaving before the end, will people really want to be on board for the end? I think not.....

Matthew

I would have thought that some of the crew, to have come so far will wish to see the ship through to the end.

But isnt the final journey very quite on here, are people ashamed to be onboard? Iv only seen a handful of people on here with a mention of being booked on that journey.

I most likely will visit her in Dubia. It will interest me to see her in her after life.. No it will not be the same as sailing on her. But I can see this unique ship taking on a unique retirement persona. I almost daily witness peoples affection for the first QUEEN MARY. I hope in the end this will be true for the Queen Elizabeth 2.

In a perfect world QE2 would sail on forever, be docked in Southampton, or near the Clyde where she was built. I think in all honesty if Cunard had an open auction for QE2 the end result would have been the same. I doubt any private investor in the U.K. or U.S. would pay $ 100 million for a 40 year old ship. And if the goverment had offered to buy her for that people would have been outraged.

Tom in Long Beach

But isnt the final journey very quite on here, are people ashamed to be onboard? Iv only seen a handful of people on here with a mention of being booked on that journey.

Myles,

I absolutely couldn't bear to be on that final trip to Dubai. I'd be a complete emotional wreck long before the ship was singled-up before sailing from Southampton. We were originally booked on the last round trip cruise from Soton to the Med, but even that looked like being too much of a strain for me, so we jumped ship to the Norway cruise in June. For similar reasons I will never set foot on the "ship" in Dubai (which frankly is not a place that I have the slightest ambition to visit anyway).

Jimmy

PS - so far nothing further to report regarding what we talked about earlier today

I don't know, I just don't know yet. I think that her going to Dubai is far better than being sold to a presavation group here in the UK that wouldn't be able to afford her upkeep an then see her rust away. At least the Emeratis will see she is always tip top. At 40 years old she sadly can't keep going forver and with SOLAS 2010 coming up fast I think Carnival Group did the right thing. Just my opinion.

I don't know, I just don't know yet. I think that her going to Dubai is far better than being sold to a presavation group here in the UK that wouldn't be able to afford her upkeep an then see her rust away. At least the Emeratis will see she is always tip top. At 40 years old she sadly can't keep going forver and with SOLAS 2010 coming up fast I think Carnival Group did the right thing. Just my opinion.

Lexxity,

I absolutely agree about the horror that would have been visited upon us had she been kept here to slowly rust away. Frankly there's way too much of that sort of thing going on here in the name of "Heritage". Also, although we're probably not in total agreement about what would have been the best option for her, there's no doubt that she couldn't have been upgraded to comply with SOLAS for anything less than a figure with so many zeroes in it it would make your head swim.

So I suppose Carnival were always going to be damned by one body of opinion or another whatever they did. I suppose if I were being absolutely truthful, I am like you in not knowing what to think. The last line of my little tribute to her really referred to the fact that I imagine her dying as a ship. Whatever she will be in Dubai, she will not, in any real sense, be one of those.

Incidentally, is it just me or has it gone awfully quiet around here at the moment?

Jimmy

Incidentally, is it just me or has it gone awfully quiet around here at the moment?

Hmmm, one chastized, twice shy....:rolleyes:

But if you really want to know what I think....

andrewbryant (underscore) sf (at) yahoo (dot) com

Myles,

I absolutely couldn't bear to be on that final trip to Dubai. I'd be a complete emotional wreck long before the ship was singled-up before sailing from Southampton. We were originally booked on the last round trip cruise from Soton to the Med, but even that looked like being too much of a strain for me, so we jumped ship to the Norway cruise in June. For similar reasons I will never set foot on the "ship" in Dubai (which frankly is not a place that I have the slightest ambition to visit anyway).

Jimmy

PS - so far nothing further to report regarding what we talked about earlier today

Grief is the price we pay for love, Jimmy. We're lucky to have had her at all. Imagine if we were a pack of whippersnappers and born too late!

Archived