Debarking in Singapore

kingart55

We will be ending our cruise in Singapore. Our ship gets in on Jan 30 and stays overnight and the cruise ends on the 31st. We plan on a flight

home on the 31st at 805am. My question is can we depart the ship anytime

during the stay or should we get off on the 30th and stay at a hotel?

Celebrity does not give a clear answer.

We will be ending our cruise in Singapore. Our ship gets in on Jan 30 and stays overnight and the cruise ends on the 31st. We plan on a flight

home on the 31st at 805am. My question is can we depart the ship anytime

during the stay or should we get off on the 30th and stay at a hotel?

Celebrity does not give a clear answer.

I would stay on the ship...why pay for a hotel ? The pier is an easy taxi ride to anywhere you want to go in Singapore...or at least to the closest MRT station. We did a few nights in March pre-cruise in Singapore and loved it...enjoy.

Yes you can depart the cruise at any time.

However, since your flight is at 8am, you need to be at the airport around 6am.

Meaning getting off the ship at about 5am, going through the customs then getting a taxi. its about 20mins to the airport in the wee hrs in the morning.

Depending on amount of lugages and number of passengers (more than 3 big cases), I would advise that pre-book a Maxi-cab (bigger) the night before.

If only 2 suitcases and some small ones, you can just grab the normal cab.

If you need help with the taxi, ask the cruise stuff, they may be able to help.

Yes you can depart the cruise at any time.

However, since your flight is at 8am, you need to be at the airport around 6am.

Meaning getting off the ship at about 5am, going through the customs then getting a taxi. its about 20mins to the airport in the wee hrs in the morning.

Depending on amount of lugages and number of passengers (more than 3 big cases), I would advise that pre-book a Maxi-cab (bigger) the night before.

If only 2 suitcases and some small ones, you can just grab the normal cab.

If you need help with the taxi, ask the cruise stuff, they may be able to help.

Oh, so the Singapore cruise port will man the immigration and customs counters around the clock?

Oh, so the Singapore cruise port will man the immigration and customs counters around the clock?

Yes it is manned around the clock if there are ships docked. I came off the ship at 5 am in the morning from Celebrity Century, there were 4 custom officers at the desks but only 1 X-ray machine working (2 persons manning the machine). So if there are too many people getting off at that time, you will see a queue at the X-ray machine.

Do beware waiting for the normal cab will take 5 to 15 mins. Maxi-Cab would be a lot faster but cost S$55 if pre-booked.

Yes it is manned around the clock if there are ships docked. I came off the ship at 5 am in the morning from Celebrity Century, there were 4 custom officers at the desks but only 1 X-ray machine working (2 persons manning the machine). So if there are too many people getting off at that time, you will see a queue at the X-ray machine.

Do beware waiting for the normal cab will take 5 to 15 mins. Maxi-Cab would be a lot faster but cost S$55 if pre-booked.

Great info. Thanks.

Thanks. I now know what to do and not need a hotel stay.

You can depart at any time, but I you could also stay on the ship and save some money on the hotel. i agree with 4774Papa , Singapore deserves more than a one day visit, especially at the time you are going, just before Chinese New Year!

I sailed from Dubai with various ports of call including two stops in Malaysia. I purchased two litres of whisky and ten by 250 grams of rolling tobacco. On arrival in Singapore I declared the goods and was asked to pay S$200 on the tobacco and S$80 on the liquor. I only took the liquor and left the tobacco with the customs. Anybody not declaring were turned back at the x ray. I purchased the tobacco at Changi for S$40. The cruise were quite happy to sell duty free on board with out any warning with regard to local duty in Singapore.

I sailed from Dubai with various ports of call including two stops in Malaysia. I purchased two litres of whisky and ten by 250 grams of rolling tobacco. On arrival in Singapore I declared the goods and was asked to pay S$200 on the tobacco and S$80 on the liquor. I only took the liquor and left the tobacco with the customs. Anybody not declaring were turned back at the x ray. I purchased the tobacco at Changi for S$40. The cruise were quite happy to sell duty free on board with out any warning with regard to local duty in Singapore.

Why were they turned back at the xray - were these people who had goods that they hadn't declared or people who hadn't purchased anything?:confused:

Why were they turned back at the xray - were these people who had goods that they hadn't declared or people who hadn't purchased anything?:confused:

They were turn back because they had not declared goods ie spirits tobacco etc. I saw a one guy in the back office with a least six packs of cigarettes, I think he was in a lot of trouble for excess smuggling

For causal smokers and drinkers,

Under Singapore laws, arriving travellers need to pay taxes to bring in cigarettes or other tobacco products, liquor products or other taxable goods exceeding the duty-free concession and Goods and Services Tax (GST) relief.

So please be aware that you will be levy a taxes if you bring in Tobacco and Alcohol into Singapore except the duty free 1 litre Liquor.

For causal smokers and drinkers,

Under Singapore laws, arriving travellers need to pay taxes to bring in cigarettes or other tobacco products, liquor products or other taxable goods exceeding the duty-free concession and Goods and Services Tax (GST) relief.

So please be aware that you will be levy a taxes if you bring in Tobacco and Alcohol into Singapore except the duty free 1 litre Liquor.

I was required to pay duty on 2x1litre of 40 degree spirit as the ship had called into Malaysia, whilst with my wife. I would not have been charged if the ship had not called into Malaysia. I feel the tobacco duty is excessive and have never been charged at any other arrival port whilst cruising for twenty years.

I was required to pay duty on 2x1litre of 40 degree spirit as the ship had called into Malaysia, whilst with my wife. I would not have been charged if the ship had not called into Malaysia. I feel the tobacco duty is excessive and have never been charged at any other arrival port whilst cruising for twenty years.

Yes, Singapore Government decided that to have a clean environment, cars and tobacco are put with a high tax. To discourage people from driving or smoking.

The country used to allow a small amount of cigarettes to be brought in without tax but that has changed 2 years ago.

Its unfortunate that the cruise line did not warn people who are disembarking in Singapore.

• 2 weeks later...
We flew to Singapore from CDG Paris, where we purchased two bottles of wine. We declared on arrival and were not required to pay anything.

But that is because you did not come from Malaysia. They only tax certain countries if you bring liquor or tobacco into the country. Since our ship called into Malaysia before we arrived at Singapore, we would have had to pay the duty. We asked what the duty was and gave the liquor to the cruise staff as the duty was more than what we paid for the bottles. When we flew into Singapore this year from Hong Kong, we could bring in 2 bottles of wine without duty.