snorkeling..Belize, Roatan or cozumel

spunky_girl8

Belize I have found (so far) to be the best since it is in the middle of the barrier reef. Roatan will be behind that (end of the barrier reef) and probably a bit better since you can actually snorkel from the beach whereas in Belize you will need an excursion. Cozumel I have never had any luck finding a good snorkel site to compare to Belize or Roatan.

But with me, I am interested in seeing the different kinds and colors of the corals more than the fish. Though usually with a strong reef, the fish will be around as well.

Belize or Roatan... do one through the cruise ship in Belize and they will pick you up out in the harbor at the ship (tender port only for all cruise ships) and return you there. Easy peasy!

We just did one of the snorkel cruises at Belize, here is my video:

We had horrible weather, a tropical storm had just come through, so it was still cloudy and rainy. Even so, we had a great time and the snorkeling was very easy. The snorkeling crew was very safety minded, people snorkeling and in kayaks all over the area watching for people who needed help. Really recommend them.

Roatan we have only snorkeled from shore but we would consider doing a snorkel boat tour there as the reefs are so close to shore and there is very little current.

Cozumel has current, so I would rate it third for snorkeling. It is number one for scuba, not for snorkeling.

• 1 month later...

If your ship offers it, I would highly recommend the beach day at Maya Key (Roatan). This private island offers so much- beach, snorkeling (and it is among the best I have seen), lunch, mini zoo, pool, monkeys, plenty of lounge chairs, some shade. I'm sure I missed something...

The snorkeling.... you walk to the end of a pier at the edge of the beach, and enter the water from a ladder. They have marked a path with empty 2 liter bottles to show how to get out to the good stuff! There are so many different fish and coral- it was amazing!! I have twin girls who were 10 when we went there, and they loved it as well!

We also went to Chankanaab in Cozumel, which was good, but not nearly as good as Roatan. In Belize we did a snorkel tour with Coral Breeze- we found their equipment to be in poor condition, and we didn't see a lot at the snorkel stop. However, the stop at "shark ray alley" was fantastic. Maya Key was by far the best snorkel trip in my opinion.

Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

Maya Key in Roatan is perfect for children & adults. We were there earlier this month and loved it because you could snorkel as long as you wanted & go as many times as you wanted!

In Belize it was nice but the water is not as calm. Since you are out more in the open waters there are waves to tend with.

• 2 weeks later...

We were at maya key in nov 14 and loved it. It was a great way for those in our group to learn how to snorkel. Even my MIL was able to try as there was no pressure like jumping off a boat with a bunch of people. We did have limited viewing as there were jellyfish at the drop off. It was pretty neat to see all of them sparkle in the light so it was worth not getting to see more fish. Plus there is lots to do on the island besides the snorkeling.

Enjoy Chankannab in Coz for snorkeling. EZ entries. Cheap rentals. They will get photos of you for souvenirs. food and drink good and cheap too. (take a baggie of tuna or other fish or catfood and you can feed the fishies)

We used Belize Express Tours ( the water taxi people) with my 9 and 6 year olds and had a blast. One if the best snorkel tours we've done.

Small group ( only 10 besides us), new nice boat ( with wifi) and very safety conscious.

• 2 weeks later...

We have dove and snorkeled all three. For snorkeling, Roatan is the easiest to get to, cheapest and has some of the best diving and snorkeling we have ever done. After a dive, if it's a good spot, we usually snorkel between dives or after dives to check it out.

Belize I have found (so far) to be the best since it is in the middle of the barrier reef. Roatan will be behind that (end of the barrier reef) and probably a bit better since you can actually snorkel from the beach whereas in Belize you will need an excursion. Cozumel I have never had any luck finding a good snorkel site to compare to Belize or Roatan.

Totally agree with the above and what we have found to be true as well. :)

LuLu

My wife and I have also snorkeled all three islands. I have to say that the best, and most pristine coral was on Roatan. We booked a trip with Subway water sports ( http://subwaywatersports.com/ ) and it wound up with just 7 of us on the boat. Three scuba divers, boat captain, snorkel guide, my wife and myself. We made two stops off reefs for an hour each, with fresh pineapple slices between. I have never seen coral as varied, colorful, and in such great shape. You were afraid you might touch them and damage them. We would go back there in an instant! :D The service was great, and the people were wonderful. They pick you up just outside the cruise ship compound, and drop you off after you finish. Good luck, just stay away from big cruise line excursions or you will see more hands and legs than fish and coral. :eek:

I agree that Roatan is great snorkeling if u book privately or through ship I would do the Jolly Roger catamaran snorkeling it's reasonably priced and their service is impeccable! Ask one of them to stay with ur daughter and they will. We had bad weather in Belize and opted out so can't comment but Cozumel was too murky when we were there. Definitely an organized tour for safety as this is not an area you want to jeapordize safety by going out on ur own. Have fun!

roatan,, in fact right off the beach is fantastic snorkeling... Cozumel sometimes was good sometimes was murky and Belize I found the water ea little rough and not as calm as roatan

roatan,, in fact right off the beach is fantastic snorkeling... Cozumel sometimes was good sometimes was murky and Belize I found the water ea little rough and not as calm as roatan

Booked a West Carib cruise for next Feb. Going to try the West Bay snorkel area that is available right off the beach. Though, thanks for the tip for Subway water sports. Will have to check them out.