Sydney Opera House

I think Opera Australia releases its programme around September/October. Not sure if they do early-bird discounts on just one performance.

Discount tickets may be available for same day performances but not for pre-bookings.

Theatre and concert shows depend on which company is producing them. Again I think it's too early to see details of these.

Keep watching here for what is on http://www.sydneyoperahouse.com/

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

Hi,

the Feb programme has not been announced yet, but you can sign up to the box office newsletter here: http://www.sydneyoperahouse.com/homepage.aspx?gclid=CjwKEAjwgMieBRCB3bqB94e9lD4SJABW3sTNrH0F1_sl5EQh1-AFcSRqt2oG-rpz8lRIQTLEyVDW3RoCr4Dw_wcB

That way you can keep up to date as shows are announced. Just to make you jealous, Don Giovanni is on tonight. No. 1 son is going.

Hope you enjoy the trip.

If you want to see opera in Australia then the Sydney Opera House has the looks, but the acoustics are very poor. Whereas in Melbourne the State Theatre there stages the same operas where the acoustics are excellent.

Opera Australia website lists the dates for both Sydney & Melbourne.

From / to the USA you can fly direct into/out of Melbourne similar to Sydney .

Qantas, United, Virgin and Air new Zealand all fly Melbourne to the USA.

Thank you everyone. Sadly we only have one day and an overnight in Sydney so I'm hoping for a concert of some sort. We definitely will do the tour….

I am sure there will be something worthwhile seeing when you are in Australia. Perhaps even the opera house tour, if you are time limited.:D

Thank you everyone. Sadly we only have one day and an overnight in Sydney so I'm hoping for a concert of some sort. We definitely will do the tour….

There is the Opera Theatre, the Concert Chamber, and two theatres so there should be something on.

Have an early dinner at the Sydney Cove Oyster bar before the show. Highly recommended and if you are dining early you usually don't need to book.

• 2 weeks later...

The Opera Australia season's programme has just arrived in our mailbox.

The following operas are on at the end of February 2015:

Tue 17 7pm Faust

Wed 18 7:30pm Tosca

Thur 19 7pm Faust

Fri 20 7:30pm Madama Butterfly

Sat 21 12:30pm Tosca

Sat 21 7pm Faust

Sun 22 2pm Madama Butterfly

Tue 24 7pm Faust

Wed 25 7:30pm Madama Butterfly

Thu 26 7:30pm Tosca

Fri 27 7:30pm Madama Butterfly

Sat 28 12pm Faust

Sat 28 7:30pm Tosca

Not sure if they are taking online bookings for these yet, they may only be taking subscription series bookings so far.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

Actually what may be of interest to Aussie cruisers is that they are doing Anything Goes during next year's season. It's a Cole Porter musical comedy.

"When the ocean liner embarks from New York to London, etiquette and convention get tossed out the portholes as two unlikely pairs set off on the course to true love ... proving that sometimes destiny needs a little help from a crew of singing sailors, an exotic disguide and some good old-fashioned blackmail."

Sounds very appropriate for cruise fans ;)

It's on all of September and October 2015.

Thanks but that is Ok, we have been to both places before.:D

I meant on your cruise :rolleyes:

Just in case of "destiny needs a little help from a crew of singing sailors, an exotic disguide and some good old-fashioned blackmail" ;)

I meant on your cruise :rolleyes:

Just in case of "destiny needs a little help from a crew of singing sailors, an exotic disguide and some good old-fashioned blackmail" ;)

I have seen singing sailors on many a cruise, I have also seen exotic guides but have never been prone to blackmail (new or old-fashioned) on the ship.:eek:

Edited by MicCanberra

A little off-topic but what does one wear to the opera in Sydney? To other types of performances at the Opera House? Suit or jacket for men/cocktail attire for women or something more like business attire or Smart Casual?

Thanks!

A little off-topic but what does one wear to the opera in Sydney? To other types of performances at the Opera House? Suit or jacket for men/cocktail attire for women or something more like business attire or Smart Casual?

Thanks!

I usually wear smart casual - black dressy pants and a dressy top, DH wears dark pants, shirt, and a sports jacket.

However I've seen everything from suits/cocktail attire down to jeans and tshirt.

Personally I feel the setting is so nice, and it's somewhere I don't go to regularly, so I like to dress up a little.

• 2 weeks later...
The Opera Australia season's programme has just arrived in our mailbox.

The following operas are on at the end of February 2015:

Tue 17 7pm Faust

Wed 18 7:30pm Tosca

Thur 19 7pm Faust

Fri 20 7:30pm Madama Butterfly

Sat 21 12:30pm Tosca

Sat 21 7pm Faust

Sun 22 2pm Madama Butterfly

Tue 24 7pm Faust

Wed 25 7:30pm Madama Butterfly

Thu 26 7:30pm Tosca

Fri 27 7:30pm Madama Butterfly

Sat 28 12pm Faust

Sat 28 7:30pm Tosca

Not sure if they are taking online bookings for these yet, they may only be taking subscription series bookings so far.

Thank you so much. Just back from our Norway cruise and Iceland adventure! Madama Butterfly for us--if we can get tickets!

I checked the website and individual tickets go on sale on Oct 20 --so excited! http://www.sydneyoperahouse.com/About/presenters/Opera_Australia.aspx

Edited by Alaskanb

Thank you so much. Just back from our Norway cruise and Iceland adventure! Madama Butterfly for us--if we can get tickets!

I checked the website and individual tickets go on sale on Oct 20 --so excited! http://www.sydneyoperahouse.com/About/presenters/Opera_Australia.aspx

Tickets for the opera go very fast, they only sell the ones left from subscriptions, please remember that we are well ahead in time zones :)

Tickets for the opera go very fast, they only sell the ones left from subscriptions, please remember that we are well ahead in time zones :)

Actually it depends what night of the week you are trying to get tickets for. We've never had a problem getting good seats mid-week but Friday and Saturdays nights are much more popular so tickets may be harder to get on those nights.

Welcome back, we will be cruising to Norway and Iceland next year and I cannot wait. I hope the vulcanoes behave themselves in the mean time. Good luck with getting the tickets you want, make a note that we are 17 hours in front of the USA's west coast so you may want to try on the 19th.:D

Welcome back, we will be cruising to Norway and Iceland next year and I cannot wait. I hope the vulcanoes behave themselves in the mean time. Good luck with getting the tickets you want, make a note that we are 17 hours in front of the USA's west coast so you may want to try on the 19th.:D

Thanks-- that had been my guess as to when to look!

I haven't a clue about where to sit in the Opera House. If it's anything like our hall the subscription holders have the better seats. Any suggestions?