Sydney Opera House

First, be aware that to get to some seats in the Opera Theatre (now called the Joan Sutherland Theatre) you have to climb up a lot of steps. This includes all of the Circle, so if you have any mobility issues you should try to book in the Stalls.

We try to pick the best compromise between sitting in the middle section of a row with how far back the row is. Most of the seats have good views. Obviously the better seats cost more so that may need to be factored in to your decision.

Last week we sat in the middle of row E of the Circle which was excellent, once I'd recovered from the climb up to that section ;)

First, be aware that to get to some seats in the Opera Theatre (now called the Joan Sutherland Theatre) you have to climb up a lot of steps. This includes all of the Circle, so if you have any mobility issues you should try to book in the Stalls.

We try to pick the best compromise between sitting in the middle section of a row with how far back the row is. Most of the seats have good views. Obviously the better seats cost more so that may need to be factored in to your decision.

Last week we sat in the middle of row E of the Circle which was excellent, once I'd recovered from the climb up to that section ;)

I have only been there once for entertainment but have done a tour, both were many years ago. I suggest you look at the legends of the seating plans for guidence as well as OzKiwiJJ advice.:D

Hi

In my pre child life I used to go the Opera house several times a week. I swear I wouled have sat in almost all the seats. The absolutley best seats- the ones they give to VIPs that don't need security- are the middle of G to the middle of L. Perwsonally I think the sound in the circle can be dosdy at times but there is excellent sound- but restricted view- from the point seats in the boxes they sell on the day cheaply- have to queue early though as there are only 12 seats with a vaguely OK view. If you want the surtitles be aware that some seats- front, back and some extreme side seats won't have them. It is not like the Met where the surtitles are on the back of the seats. The opera's sales at the moment have been very slow with lots of performances ending up on online cheap ticket sites. Tourists shoud make the summer a little more robust. While subscriptions are now on sale general bookings won't open to lat4er- November I think. Because it is easy to change seats when you have a subscription seating availability is always fluid and new seats can turn up at any time. Good luck. If I were picking a summer opera wit would be Tosca- a great production by John Bell.

Hi

In my pre child life I used to go the Opera house several times a week. I swear I wouled have sat in almost all the seats. The absolutley best seats- the ones they give to VIPs that don't need security- are the middle of G to the middle of L. Perwsonally I think the sound in the circle can be dosdy at times but there is excellent sound- but restricted view- from the point seats in the boxes they sell on the day cheaply- have to queue early though as there are only 12 seats with a vaguely OK view. If you want the surtitles be aware that some seats- front, back and some extreme side seats won't have them. It is not like the Met where the surtitles are on the back of the seats. The opera's sales at the moment have been very slow with lots of performances ending up on online cheap ticket sites. Tourists shoud make the summer a little more robust. While subscriptions are now on sale general bookings won't open to lat4er- November I think. Because it is easy to change seats when you have a subscription seating availability is always fluid and new seats can turn up at any time. Good luck. If I were picking a summer opera wit would be Tosca- a great production by John Bell.

We are only overnighting in Sydney on Friday, Feb 27 so for us it will be Madama Butterfly. It is a familiar story line so surtitles are not too important. I just want to wallow in the music :)

Great info --I've had knee replacements but do okay if I take my time.

Hi Terry: Seats for Madama Butterfly for our Feb 27 visit in Sydney become available in late October. Do you have any recommendation for seat location? Thanks

Appreciate this good question on the opera options in Sydney that was posted on my below-connected live/blog. These two visuals might help for those planning to visit and see a performance here. There are two large "houses" within the multi-stage Sydney Opera House complex. Most operas, including Madam Butterfly, will be staged in the Joan Sutherland Theatre. This is where we saw the "Magic Flute" opera with music by some guy named Mozart. It was much enjoyed. Got tickets for the 11 am show on the day before when we did tour of the complex. Below is a picture that shows the set-up for this theater doing the operas. Also below is the other large theatre that is more set-up for orchestra and other such performances.

Personally for us, being closer to the stage was better than being too far back and/or in the more distant balcony. This is not a large, large setting, so most seat are fairly good. I took the below visual from our seats, about the 14th row, right side. Worked well for us. Could see and hear very well.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Back from doing a 14-day Celebrity Solstice, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure on this ship and getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for much more information and lots of wonderful pictures on these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 73,980 views for this fun posting.

Here are my pictures of the interiors for the two main, large theaters at the Sydney Opera House. First is the Joan Sutherland Theatre that is used primarily for opera/stage performances. It was renamed for one of Australia’s greatest artists in October 2012. This theater is on the eastern side of the complex and has 1,507 seats. Second is the grand setting of the wooden-paneled and cathedral-like Concert Hall with the acoustics from high vaulted ceiling for symphony performances. It features white birch timber panelling. The Concert Hall has 2,679 seats and contains a Grand Organ with over 10,000 pipes.:

SydOperaHsA12_zpsa48848c9.jpg

SydOperaHsA11_zps06ad7052.jpg

Edited by TLCOhio

Nice pics Terry.:D

Appreciate the nice comment. The lighting levels were low, low in both theaters at the times we were there. Lucky that both pictures worked out OK under those conditions. Had to do some "fine-tuning" on my MacBook Pro laptop to "help" the visual images. Loved our visits and time at the Sydney Opera House. Well worth the efforts to do both the tour and the opera performance.

Back from doing a 14-day Celebrity Solstice, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure on this ship and getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

for much more information and lots of wonderful pictures on these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 74,433 views for this fun posting.

Appreciate this good question on the opera options in Sydney that was posted on my below-connected live/blog. These two visuals might help for those planning to visit and see a performance here. There are two large "houses" within the multi-stage Sydney Opera House complex. Most operas, including Madam Butterfly, will be staged in the Joan Sutherland Theatre. This is where we saw the "Magic Flute" opera with music by some guy named Mozart. It was much enjoyed. Got tickets for the 11 am show on the day before when we did tour of the complex. Below is a picture that shows the set-up for this theater doing the operas. Also below is the other large theatre that is more set-up for orchestra and other such performances.

Personally for us, being closer to the stage was better than being too far back and/or in the more distant balcony. This is not a large, large setting, so most seat are fairly good. I took the below visual from our seats, about the 14th row, right side. Worked well for us. Could see and hear very well.

for much more information and lots of wonderful pictures on these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 73,980 views for this fun posting.

Here are my pictures of the interiors for the two main, large theaters at the Sydney Opera House. First is the Joan Sutherland Theatre that is used primarily for opera/stage performances. It was renamed for one of Australia’s greatest artists in October 2012. This theater is on the eastern side of the complex and has 1,507 seats. Second is the grand setting of the wooden-paneled and cathedral-like Concert Hall with the acoustics from high vaulted ceiling for symphony performances. It features white birch timber panelling. The Concert Hall has 2,679 seats and contains a Grand Organ with over 10,000 pipes.:

SydOperaHsA12_zpsa48848c9.jpg

SydOperaHsA11_zps06ad7052.jpg

Thanks Terry. That helps.