3 Night Cruise ~ QV

Big Foot

Hello,

Whilst I have sailed quite a few times, I will be travelling on my 1st Cunard cruise on board QV at the end of October, sailing from Southampton.

I'm assuming that as I have received luggage labels I will be able to check my luggage in when I arrive at the docks as opposed to carrying it on board myself, however, I would be grateful if anyone who has done a short cruise is able to confirm this?

Also, if anyone has any tips / 'must-dos' I'd be grateful to receive any advice / recommendations.

Many thanks.

Hello, Whilst I have sailed quite a few times, I will be travelling on my 1st Cunard cruise on board QV at the end of October, sailing from Southampton. I'm assuming that as I have received luggage labels I will be able to check my luggage in when I arrive at the docks as opposed to carrying it on board myself, however, I would be grateful if anyone who has done a short cruise is able to confirm this? Also, if anyone has any tips / 'must-dos' I'd be grateful to receive any advice / recommendations. Many thanks.
Hi Big Foot,

I am assuming you are departing from the Ocean Terminal (although the procedure is similar, but not identical, at the QEII Terminal, not sure about the other two).

Your cases will be taken from you by porters as you step from your taxi as seen in the centre of this photo:

OCEAN TERMINAL SOUTHAMPTON

You then proceed indoors:

QM2 The OCEAN TERMINAL

Up the escalator:

QM2 The OCEAN TERMINAL

To the seating areas:

QM2 The OCEAN TERMINAL

If you're a Britannia Grade passenger you'll be given a coloured card with letter, They'll then call this card "Red C" etc for you to go forward to the check-in desks, security, and then board:

QM2 9th May 2014

I'd aim to arrive at the terminal either:

Between 11.00 and 11.30, you'll have to wait but on a recent four night cruise they started boarding non-priority passengers at noon (priority passengers boarded at 11.45). Typically a 12 noon-12.30 start is normal. The earlier you arrive, the closer to the front of the queue you will be. Then drop your carry-on bag in your cabin and head for your first lunch onboard. On a short cruise I do this so to maximise my time on board, and not pay for lunch on shore ;) .

Or:

Aim to arrive later in the afternoon, not so close to the desks closing you may miss sailing, but after the rush has died down. Maybe an hour before they close the desks. You'll miss lunch on board, time for a quick explore, and may have to go almost straight to lifeboat drill, but you will almost certainly have no sitting around in the terminal.

There is no use in anything in between!

Your cases will appear outside your cabin during the afternoon.

(At the QEII Terminal you "check in" prior to getting your number and being shown the seating area).

Hope this helps :) , have a great time, Bon Voyage!

Edited by pepperrn

Hello Pepper,

Thank you for your comprehensive reply; it's greatly appreciated.

I'm never one for leaving things late, plus we've been allocated a 1pm check in time so I'll certainly (traffic permitting as there are 4 ships in the day we sail) to arrive at the docks sooner rather than later.:)

Hello Pepper, Thank you for your comprehensive reply; it's greatly appreciated. I'm never one for leaving things late, plus we've been allocated a 1pm check in time so I'll certainly (traffic permitting as there are 4 ships in the day we sail) to arrive at the docks sooner rather than later.:)
Hi Big Foot,

As there are four ships departing that day, I'm now concerned that I've really only talked about the Ocean Terminal (and the QEII Terminal briefly). I've not yet departed from either the City or Mayflower Terminals, they may do things differently (I have only once arrived back at the Mayflower and remember almost nothing of the layout of the building. I've no experience of the City Terminal).

Have a great time on board :)

I am on the same cruise as a surprise for my husband's 60th birthday! We have done more than 20 cruises, short and long, and we always check our bags with the porters. Looking forward to it. First time with Cunard so it is a good taster. Normally cruise Celebrity.

Colleen

I am on the same cruise as a surprise for my husband's 60th birthday! We have done more than 20 cruises, short and long, and we always check our bags with the porters. Looking forward to it. First time with Cunard so it is a good taster. Normally cruise Celebrity.

Colleen

You are a Grills passenger & that gives you priority boarding. When you enter the building after dropping of your luggage keep to the LEFT & go to the end Grills book in is there. If you join the main queue its a pain & is not necessary for grill passengers to join this queue.

You are a Grills passenger & that gives you priority boarding. When you enter the building after dropping of your luggage keep to the LEFT & go to the end Grills book in is there. If you join the main queue its a pain & is not necessary for grill passengers to join this queue.

Great! First Cunard experience so appreciate any information. We are Elite with Celebrity so just love priority boarding!

Colleen

Great! First Cunard experience so appreciate any information. We are Elite with Celebrity so just love priority boarding!

Colleen

Cunard do not show you to your cabin so have a good look at the deck plans to work out your route to your cabin, You should be boarding amidships & I find that its best to use the amidships lifts to get to the grills restaurant on deck 11 the Port side left hand lift & the starboard side right hand lift go to deck 11 the other lifts do not

Cunard do not show you to your cabin so have a good look at the deck plans to work out your route to your cabin, You should be boarding amidships & I find that its best to use the amidships lifts to get to the grills restaurant on deck 11 the Port side left hand lift & the starboard side right hand lift go to deck 11 the other lifts do not

We are in 5001 - easy to find - any further forward and we will be swimming! Are the Grills Restaurants open for lunch on boarding day? Would be great as the buffet is always packed on the first day.

Colleen

We are in 5001 - easy to find - any further forward and we will be swimming! Are the Grills Restaurants open for lunch on boarding day? Would be great as the buffet is always packed on the first day.

Colleen

The Grills Restaurant is!! open for lunch the easiest way to get from 5001 is by using the forward lift to deck 10 & walk down outside on the starboard side to the centre area on the right you will see a big button for disabled passengers push it the door will open go through turn left a small flight of steps & you are in the grills lounge for the restaurants, If the weather is bad use the amidships lift.