Going from solo to duo?

towel-animal

So while used to solo cruising (2 times NCL Epic), I'm about to go on my first cruise with someone...and I have to admit I'm nervous, haha!

Have been wanting to do Allure/Oasis for years now and decided to finally go this fall. But to afford it, I'm traveling with a neighbor who has become a new friend.

I absolutely love the freedom solo cruising offers--I can do all the things I enjoy: speciality restaurants, spa, the excursions I want, coming in/out of the cabin as late as I want, etc...And i worry about giving that up.

I'm just curious to hear experiences from others used to solo cruising and making a switch to traveling with someone. Did/do you feel obligated to be with them all the time? What's a good thing to say if you want some time alone without hurting their feelings? Did you have as good as time as your solo trips?

I think if you both try to make sure the other person is happy is good. I like to read, watch tv during down time but could not indulge myself. She was early morning up for coffee at 6am, not me unless I have an excursion . She only drinks water. I ended up deliberately dodging her to have some free time.

Another time the cruise line matched us up and she snored and left the bathroom dirty and messy.

There are lots of friends traveling you can tell who is strained like the 3rd or 4th day. I like the ones who seem happy and have lots in common. That would be my goal if I was traveling with someone else.

Talk beforehand. Are you both earl or late risers, what type of activities do you each like to do? Are you each going your separates ways? It is easy to dodge someone on a cruise.

I'm a solo traveler . Three times my cousin has asked to join me. The first time was on RCCL and I had an interior with a solo rate. I told my cousin we should each do our own thing and could meet for dinner and go on mutually agreed excursions. Worked out ok. The second time, she cancelled cuz she got a better offer. Thank God it was before final payment. Then, thus spring, I booked a tour of Ireland with a low single supplement , and she joined me but I changed nothing so we were on different flights. Moral of the story: do your own thing and if someone joins you, great, but make sure your covered if they pull out. Talk beforehand and make sure your travel companion knows what you like and how flexible you are.

I travel both solo and with friends & family (the DH doesn't like to cruise). I have a couple of girl friends that I cruise with- one no more than 4 nights, the other one I don't care how many nights. We aren't joined at the hip and pretty much do our own thing during the day.

However, I do have a few friends that I would never cruise with. As much as I like them they would be too clingy. I cruise to relax and get away from the stress of life.

Just have a conversation with your friend ahead of time. Hope it works out for you - and if it doesn't don't tell them next time you book a cruise. :)

I'm a solo traveler . Three times my cousin has asked to join me. The first time was on RCCL and I had an interior with a solo rate. I told my cousin we should each do our own thing and could meet for dinner and go on mutually agreed excursions. Worked out ok. The second time, she cancelled cuz she got a better offer. Thank God it was before final payment. Then, thus spring, I booked a tour of Ireland with a low single supplement , and she joined me but I changed nothing so we were on different flights. Moral of the story: do your own thing and if someone joins you, great, but make sure your covered if they pull out. Talk beforehand and make sure your travel companion knows what you like and how flexible you are.

I have had too many people flake out and change their mind after they were the ones who wanted to go on the trip. I tell people when they ask "your going. by yourself?" Yes, otherwise I would never travel. I enjoy the challenge of solo travel.

I have been trying for over 1 year to help plan a girlfriends getaway but it is not working. But, I am not going to stress let others work out details.

I've traveled twice with a companion - once with a friend and once with my aunt. Both times, we fell into a pattern of doing whatever we wanted. We'd usually end up having breakfast together, then go on our merry way during the day, and meet back in the room when it was time to get ready for dinner. Daytime, sometimes we wanted to do the same things, sometimes not. It was all very fluid. And yes, I enjoyed traveling with each of them as much as I enjoy traveling solo.

Then again, I had known each of these women for decades at a minimum, so we just knew what to expect from each other. If I was traveling with a new friend, I'd have a very frank conversation about expectations ahead of the trip. Just so there are no surprises!

I usually go cruising with one of two girls, including a trip where all three of us went together.

However, my last two trips were solos and my next two will be solos also.

After talking to both girls about my experiences we think that in future cruises we will travel together, but we will have our own SEPARATE cabins.

There is something to having a cabin all to yourself to do what you want, arrange it just for yourself, to enter and leave whenever without worrying about your travel companion that equals a major freedom.

Solo cabins if you can afford it is the way to go.

Most of my cruises have been solos, a few have been with a female partner. When the female partner has shared a cabin, it often happens that I'm more concerned with them having a good time and do the bulk of planning because I'm the more experienced traveler. As a result, I don't have the freedom I enjoy when I go solo.

However, when they've booked their own cabin, it felt much more like my solo experiences.

My advice-- have them book their own cabin!

My advice-- have them book their own cabin!

I wish I could! But for me the only reason we're going together in the first place is because going solo was way out of my price range. And I've always wanted to sail the Allure. I don't doubt that I'll still have a good time! I just feel like our friendship is too new to basically say "let's do our own thing." Don't know how he'd react.

So while used to solo cruising (2 times NCL Epic), I'm about to go on my first cruise with someone...and I have to admit I'm nervous, haha!

Have been wanting to do Allure/Oasis for years now and decided to finally go this fall. But to afford it, I'm traveling with a neighbor who has become a new friend.

I absolutely love the freedom solo cruising offers--I can do all the things I enjoy: speciality restaurants, spa, the excursions I want, coming in/out of the cabin as late as I want, etc...And i worry about giving that up.

I'm just curious to hear experiences from others used to solo cruising and making a switch to traveling with someone. Did/do you feel obligated to be with them all the time? What's a good thing to say if you want some time alone without hurting their feelings? Did you have as good as time as your solo trips?

I've traveled both solo and shared with various friends. I think you have to be honest up front with the person before you book (or before final payment) about expectations. I would tell the person that you're used to traveling solo and there will be times when you want to go your own way. When I travel with a friend she goes her way and I go mine and we meet up periodically by the pool and usually for cocktails & dinner. If we both want to do the same thing in port, thats fine, otherwise we split up. You don't want to spend all that money and end up trying to please the other person the whole time. I also like to know that person's habits... smoker?? heavy drinker?? late riser?? early to bed?? slob?? It helps if you're somewhat compatible. I wouldn't share a room with someone, no matter how badly I wanted to go on a particular ship, if I knew up front we weren't compatible... that's disaster waiting to happen.

Has your friend ever cruised or traveled before? Someone who hasn't may be clingy-er than someone familiar with the ins and outs of cruising.

Good luck!!

Just got back from 71 days on Oceania Insignia WC segments with cabinmate met on CM.online. We communicated online. I think most important is maturity and common interests. We are both seniors, from the West, retired Realtors and rather laid back. I have over 50 cruises, she 3 prior.I told her I was not going to be her tour leader. Moderate drinkers, no smoking or drugs, no guys in cabin and be clean and orderly.I brought all my travel literature and 13 pairs of shoes. Luckily O has ample closet space. She bought 3 pairs and refused to read travel lit. But she always found a tour on shore. She was ultra clean, snored a bit and watched the liberals on Fox and loved Obama. I am a Republican who watched CNBC. We usually dined together and had an excellent experience.We will probably cruise together again.