San Diego advice needed

Cruising out of San Diego in April and need some help on where to stay. I'm thinking about flying in a day early since I have never been to Sea World or the SD zoo.

Looking for suggestions on where to stay perhaps near the port, are any hotels within walking distance to the port? I assume hotels in the area offer shuttles to the port, and it would be nice to have a shuttle from airport to the hotel.

Also, would a taxi be the best mode of transportation from a port area hotel to the zoo or sea world?

I've only been in San Diego once years ago on a port stop and only recall the shopping area that was on the water- walking distance from the ship.

Thank you for any information!

Carol

Look on the West Coast Departure board for info as not too many people look over here.

Hotels in San Diego do not shuttle. The city is very compact and a taxi doesn't cost too much.

Sadie hit all the key points. West Coast Departure board has many recommendations. Several hotels within walking distance. Several of those have airport to hotel shuttles, but if they don't, the distances are pretty small. Taxis and public transit work very well.

There is a Holiday Inn Directly across the street and no problem to walk at all. Just did it a few weeks ago.

Just get the right Holiday inn. Not a great hotel but you can't get any closer and is ok for a night or two.

• 3 months later...

We stayed at the Hampton Inn. We could see the cruise ship from the hotel hallway. They also provided a shuttle to and from the airport, and the pier. Behind the hotel was the light rail which gave us access to most anything we wanted to do.

We were disappointed with Sea World. But we also have been to Orlando's SW several times. The taxi too and from was around 30 for two people, and the park tickets were found online for a fraction of the face value at the park.

• 4 weeks later...
We have stayed at the Best Western-Bayside Inn this time last year. It is about 4 level blocks from the pier. Nice large, quiet rooms, free shuttle to and from pier as well as airport.

This looks like a good suggestion for us. We aren't sailing until May 2014, but I have started investigating our options already. Free shuttle to and from the airport and the pier is a big plus for me as well.

• 3 weeks later...
Cruising out of San Diego in April and need some help on where to stay. I'm thinking about flying in a day early since I have never been to Sea World or the SD zoo.

Looking for suggestions on where to stay perhaps near the port, are any hotels within walking distance to the port? I assume hotels in the area offer shuttles to the port, and it would be nice to have a shuttle from airport to the hotel.

Also, would a taxi be the best mode of transportation from a port area hotel to the zoo or sea world?

I've only been in San Diego once years ago on a port stop and only recall the shopping area that was on the water- walking distance from the ship.

Carol

We booked the Holiday Inn Express in Old Town San Diego last year because they had a free shuttle to the airport starting a 5:00am. Their free shuttle also buses you locally during your stay. You will probably need more than one day to see what you want to see prior to your trip. I am pretty sure they would shuttle you to Sea World and possibly to the Zoo.

We booked the Holiday Inn Express in Old Town San Diego last year because they had a free shuttle to the airport starting a 5:00am. Their free shuttle also buses you locally during your stay. You will probably need more than one day to see what you want to see prior to your trip. I am pretty sure they would shuttle you to Sea World and possibly to the Zoo.

We stayed there too and it was doable. Walking around Old Town and down to the park (can't remember the name!) Was a great start to our vacation!

Archived