Driving in the Shetland Islands

I recently came back from our second visit to the lovely Shetland Islands. On our first visit in 2013, we took a private tour which gave us an excellent introduction to the islands and some historical and cultural background. We visited a croft house, feed ponies, saw the Eshaness Cliffs and visited a wildlife sanctuary.

We visited again last month and decided to do a self drive tour since we had already done a guided tour.

My husband had never driven on the "opposite" side of the road and we though the Shetlands would be a good place for a beginner since there is less traffic. We were right! After some initial trepidation, he passed with flying colors.

We rented a small car for our family of five from Bolt Car Hire. They delivered the car at the pier ( they were waiting with a sign when we disembarked).

I had requested a GPS... And they did not have one. She said we would not need one. I was a bit wary, but she was right.

Our first stop was Clickimin Broch, which is in the city limits of Lerwick. We were the only people there and it was full of wildflowers. Very well preserved and a great stop.ecef20f0af1b07f1b64a73a9dd8da44f.jpg

You can get a nice visit in about 20 minutes.69c7efac92886bc7b227562af749258b.jpg

Entrance is free and there are signs with historical info0148aee791806298b13024ea404602d6.jpg

After the Broch, we headed for Old Scatness Broch and Iron Age Village. It is fascinating because you must drive over the airport runway to get there.... It is like train tracks with a security gate that goes up and down and you can see airplanes land and take off quite close!

aed0f8085805017e379b7ab1bc259f75.jpg

And right across the road is a nice beach with a beautiful view.53ae5cf8775bb916685ccdc907932ef6.jpg

Old Scatness has a little museum and some interactive learning experiences. It is free but they request a donation which we gladly gave. We dressed as an Iron Age family, made iron age coins and explored the village and broch. Wonderful!d03bf1e4fe655f27c179fc6f01ec0147.jpg

My little vikingfea61e0a88f89f504e2248b0c2d007a9.jpg

e5b1104822aa3e4e3a92a127325c64c0.jpg

Making the coins

bd8e9951d769943a0de940d34d5d1e6e.jpg

After visiting this historic locale, we headed to Sumburgh Head, a 100m rocky point topped by a lighthouse. It offered spectacular cliff views and charming puffins. There is a delicious café offering stunning views and a historical overview of the lighthouse.

dbb1d9c3b07a61756654a60ef4690436.jpg

Puffins

77059abe27e092f0d391a9dd92b2f9b2.jpg

Cliff views

458c0fa805e835ccfd693cec5b6fe124.jpg

The lighthouse

c7e054f384d3909e54bf394c2310b8ba.jpg

More cliffs

4a59b48b676ed665c08f6cf33106a061.jpg

Abudant wildflowers

f899de51fbd1b8457de58005d6b35741.jpg

Closer shot of the lighthouse

A very beautiful place

We then continued on our journey... We decided to wing it a bit and stop by the road when we saw something nice.03d2d618dbcecd3702677a9c257c6a67.jpg

A beach scene

c583f07abd9885a7b38e28153f7b37bd.jpg

An abandoned boat

339f15accaeaca38f683c92e299e0b31.jpg

Jarlshof

1a58eedfd060fbad19d5b02c1f3312fb.jpg

The ever present sheep

53023c9aed5ea97d034560425e2386c8.jpg

My husband really got the hang of driving and we were almost alone in the countryside, with Shetland's evocative landscapes.

We then decided to go to St.Ninian's Isle, which is a small tied island connected by the largest active tombolo in the UK to the south-western coast of the Mainland, Shetland.

There was only one other family there. It was windy and a bit cold but very nice.ac1ce8d8d8ca3a628c1275744e603bda.jpg

We live in Brazil, so not the balmy kind of beach... But we enjoyed ourselves.25a35836154bb262ab0e2b098eb64465.jpg

099e96771fb2f0826c116953e40cbdd8.jpg

A nice stop and we saw a small village with horses and children playing in their yards7f98c7a87195b34ee68ddec5346f0c00.jpg

Finally, we headed back to Lerwick after this relaxing and interesting day. Driving on the islands is very easy and economical. We have a lot more to do and see if we are privileged enough to have another opportunity for a visit.

Lerwick, of course, is the capital. An excellent example of Victorian architecture, it offers quaint shops and restaurants and is very easy to stroll about on your own.

03bb16fa83eaecbf88b96b042f9190a7.jpg

View from the harbor

01bc07fd2ca55bcb598b128dabe7f1a3.jpg

Stone facades

506a55d2a71c7aac2c82e515174bb911.jpg

Some of the island4cd245e846cc3567530f3dead0568982.jpg

Lerwick ca9c81707e17f26c62eb85f525e9eb91.jpg

Alleyways

I would be happy to answer questions if needed.

Thank you for posting your pictures.

It brought back wonderful memories of our visit to Shetland last year.

We visited many of the places you did (although we had a private tour arranged through another Cruise Critic member).

Loved the lighthouse and the puffins!

Maybe next time, we'll rent a car. Thanks for the inspiration.

We rented a car last time we were in Shetland and followed a very similar route to you, except we went further west after the lighthouse into an even more remote area. Great to see your photos, so thanks for posting.

As I mentioned, last visit we went north with a private tour and this time south.

We need to return and go west then! What was additional things did you see there? I love the Shetlands!

Thank you Morgan and Puppy...I appreciate it!

Edited by brazilgirl

Reminds me of the time I visited Shetland a few years ago.

I was flying in and had contacted one of the local car hire companies to arrange a car from the airport for a week.

No problem they said, it will be in the airport carpark, unlocked with the keys under the mat. Just pop in to our office sometime during the week to do the paperwork.

Thank you for posting this. I've enjoyed looking at your photos and hearing about your experience. I'm a Shetland girl born and raised and love our islands. I'm glad you enjoyed your time here. Lots more to see and do so do come back and visit!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Reminds me of the time I visited Shetland a few years ago.

I was flying in and had contacted one of the local car hire companies to arrange a car from the airport for a week.

No problem they said, it will be in the airport carpark, unlocked with the keys under the mat. Just pop in to our office sometime during the week to do the paperwork.

They told us to just leave the keys in the car and leave it in the parking lot on return. So simple. And nice.

Rasmie, your islands are wonderful... I even looked at the website about moving there , lol. True story

Edited by brazilgirl

Thanks for sharing your adventure - I would love to return to Shetland too!

But if we drove ourselves we would missing hearing the wonderful stories from a local.....

Michele....since we had a private guide the first time, we were able to enjoy many wonderful stories about life on the Shetlands. I always like having a guide on a first visit exactly for that reason. It is such a pleasure to have first hand accounts from a resident of the country.

But the second time offers a nice opportunity to explore in a different way! That is way it is always fun to go back to nice places! A third time would be a charm!

Edited by brazilgirl

Fantastic photos - thank you for taking the time to post. We will be on a TA next year which stops in Lerwick and are planning on renting a car. Do you recall how far in advance you booked with Bolts?

Fantastic photos - thank you for taking the time to post. We will be on a TA next year which stops in Lerwick and are planning on renting a car. Do you recall how far in advance you booked with Bolts?

I contacted them in January and we sailed in July. I have a tendency to be a "suoerplanner" and do things way ahead of time. There did not seem to be a great demand for rental cars from fellow cruise passengers. They were very responsive and punctual.

I contacted them in January and we sailed in July. I have a tendency to be a "suoerplanner" and do things way ahead of time. There did not seem to be a great demand for rental cars from fellow cruise passengers. They were very responsive and punctual.

Thank you for the excellent information. I am a super planner too - our cruise is not until the end of next August! Guess I don't have to worry about booking a car just yet. :)

• 3 weeks later...

You would have driven past my house ( on the way down to Sumburgh)...Anyhow, car hire, Grantfield Garage ( with whom I have no connection) are very good. They are a short walk from where the Ships dock, and are so accommodating. So pleased you saw the puffins and St Ninians Isle. BTW, don't overlook the visitors centre in Hoswick, they do a proper pot of tea and a fine piece ( cake)

Thank you for posting your beautiful pictures of Shetland. I got very teary going through them. We were there in August and something happened to me that I don't understand. I really didn't want to leave.

Like you, we rented a car and went to Sumburgh head to look for puffin. Unfortunately there was not a puffin in sight (I thought I saw one far off, but then decided it probably wasn't). But we did see something very unexpected.. Orcas! A group of 5 with a young one. I was so delighted that all disappointment about the puffins was instantly erased. How I love surprises!

I am ready to go back to Shetland. I know I will someday. :)

Bigdasher...

We had some absolutely lovely cakes at the Sumburgh Lighthouse Café. Really yummy!

Deb0702,

I know how you feel. Even though we have visited the Shetlands twice, I would happily visit again. I often tell my husband we should move there and I am not really joking. You are so lucky to have seen Orcas!! We saw many puffin on Heimaey in Iceland. Very nice.

• 7 months later...

Thank you so much for posting your photos and telling us a bit about your independent day on Shetland. I am so excited that our cruise is stopping there in July...and your post gives me the encouragement I need to rent a car so that my hubby and I can toodle around on our own while we are in port. Thank you again!