Hubbard Glacier or Tracy Arm Fjord

sctexan

We are planning on going with my parents to Alaska in June 2018. My husband, son and I have already been to Alaska on HAL back in 2014. Since we've seen Glacier Bay, we would like to see something different on the 2018 cruise.

Which would you choose, Hubbard glacier or Tracy Arm fjord?

Edited by sctexan

Both can be difficult to access very far due to ice at times. Until last year we were only able to get within 12 miles of Hubbard in 3 sailings. It was spectacular last year and we got very close. Tracy Arm and the Sawyer Glaciers are a real treat if you can do one of the small boat excursions. This is pretty subjective but my preference would be Tracy Arm over Hubbard if it was done on the smaller boat. Although not discussed as often, College Fjord is exceptional with many glaciers.

Hubbard is gorgeous, but you're not there for very long. (At least that's how it was on my last cruise.)

Tracy Arm Fjords is gorgeous as well. And as Glaciers noted, there's an excursion on a small boat that gets you VERY close up to both legs of Sawyer Glacier.

Glacier Bay for your parents who have not been.

Hubbard glacier and Tracy Arm are not always accessible. My first time to Hubbard was 9 miles away (barely see it). It was disappointing as that was the only glacier on the trip.

Last year, very few ships made it to Tracy Arm and previous years, you were lucky to see Hubbard.

You can try to pick an itinerary that does 2 glaciers. There are several out there so that your family can see something different.

We are planning on going with my parents to Alaska in June 2018. My husband, son and I have already been to Alaska on HAL back in 2014. Since we've seen Glacier Bay, we would like to see something different on the 2018 cruise.

Which would you choose, Hubbard glacier or Tracy Arm fjord?

It sounds like your parents have not seen Glacier Bay, which is guaranteed glacier sightings - unlike Tracy Arm that was iced in most of last year & Hubbard that can be iced in as well.

I'd choose Glacier Bay for them.

I'm not an expert on all lines and all itineraries, but my general sense is that Hubbard Glacier is only available on southbound one-way itineraries and Tracy Arm Fjord is only available on round-trip voyages from southern points (Seattle, San Francisco), with a few exceptions for looser-scheduled voyages. That alone could dictate your plans.

I'm not an expert on all lines and all itineraries, but my general sense is that Hubbard Glacier is only available on southbound one-way itineraries and Tracy Arm Fjord is only available on round-trip voyages from southern points (Seattle, San Francisco), with a few exceptions for looser-scheduled voyages. That alone could dictate your plans.

Hubbard is available on some round trip sailings. I did Hubbard (though missed it) on RT RCCL sailing out of Vancouver.

I just looked it up and HAL has a RT Seattle that does Hubbard in 2018.

Thanks everyone!! As long as I can go to Skagway, I'm happy. My husband probably won't be thrilled because he hates seeing the same thing twice but Glacier Bay is so incredible that hopefully he won't be too unhappy.

I didn't realize that Hubbard glacier and Tracy Arm were not a sure thing. I'd sure hate for my parents to spend all that money and all that time and not see what they came to see. They are both in their early 70s, so the likelihood that they would ever see Alaska again is probably low. I'm going to make the call for Glacier Bay again. :)

Thanks everyone!! As long as I can go to Skagway, I'm happy. My husband probably won't be thrilled because he hates seeing the same thing twice but Glacier Bay is so incredible that hopefully he won't be too unhappy.

If it helps - Glacier Bay looks different every time I go! There are some itineraries that have 2 glaciers, you can look for those.