Help with Huahine

deladane

Does anyone know how we can get to the pearl farm in Huahine without taking an organized tour? We are hoping to use our day in Huahine to save a little money and skip the full organized excursions like Marc’s tour since we have similar excursions planned for many of the other islands on our cruise. From the map on the pearl farm’s website, it looks like they are located on the opposite side of the island from the PG tender pier. I know the pearl farm has a free boat ride to get there, but does anyone know if they will pick us up at the PG pier? If not, is there any way to get there on our own? I considered renting bicycles for the day and we could ride over there, but I can’t find any information about bike rentals near the tender pier either. Any help is much appreciated!! :)

If you can find a way to get in touch with the pearl farm itself, they should be able to tell you how to get there. I have no idea where in the lagoon it is.

Do you want to go there just because it's something different, or because you want to buy pearls? If the latter, there are lots of opportunity to do that.

I did a pearl farm tour elsewhere in the islands years ago and it was very informative. Also did one on Rangiroa. In neither case was it a shopping opportunity, but in this case I believe that's what it mainly is.

As for bicycles, remember it's going to be hot.

If you can find a way to get in touch with the pearl farm itself, they should be able to tell you how to get there. I have no idea where in the lagoon it is.

Do you want to go there just because it's something different, or because you want to buy pearls? If the latter, there are lots of opportunity to do that.

I did a pearl farm tour elsewhere in the islands years ago and it was very informative. Also did one on Rangiroa. In neither case was it a shopping opportunity, but in this case I believe that's what it mainly is.

As for bicycles, remember it's going to be hot.

I highly doubt we will buy any pearls. I want to go to the pearl farm because I know that black pearls are a huge deal in FP and it would be remiss to never visit a pearl farm and learn about the process. I don't think any of my other tours involve a similar activity, and the only other thing I had planned for Huahine was to go to the public beach, so it would be nice to add a visit to the pearl farm to our day. And if we did rent the bicycles, we could ride to the beach after the pearl farm. Of course, if all else fails, we will take the shuttle to Fare and just go to the beach for a few hours. I was just trying to see if I could make our day a bit more original :)

There is a free shuttle from the marina in the town of Faie. You would need to rent a car to get to the shuttle. Renting a car on a Huahine can be tricky or lets say frustrating. Used to be easy as the car rental places would have cars at the tender drop off location. Last 2 times we had to take the Le truck from the tender drop off location ant take to Fare, the main community. It is a free service once you are in Fare you can look for the main super market. A car rental place is behind the market on the next street. There is a boss station in the same lot, the rental office is the trailer on the lot. Last time it was affiliated with Avis but it doesn't seem to be any longer. I would guess there is still a local agency there, do an internet search. Whatever you do if you pre-book make sure you take your paperwork as I've had to deal with bait and switch from this vendor.

A good connection would be Avis.tahiti@mial.pf

This is a private vendor out of Tahiti but they would be able to point you in the right direction. It's local name is Pacificar ... you can trust them, I've rented from them a zillion times. They would know who is handling Huahine.

Edited by Tahitianbigkahuna

Having done Marc's tour a number of times we have been to this pearl farm more than once. In all honesty it is nothing special. One large hut over the water where they spend a couple of minutes demonstrating how they seed the pearls. I realize it is easy for someone who has gone somewhere to say don't both but..........don't bother.

So let me get this straight. There's a le truck or shuttle into Fare town, but not from the dock where the PG tenders come in?

Too bad to hear about the pearl farm. The first tour I went on was on Manihi, on shore, and it was extensive and very informative. The one I had on Rangiroa wasn't as extensive, but was still informative.

So let me get this straight. There's a le truck or shuttle into Fare town, but not from the dock where the PG tenders come in?

Too bad to hear about the pearl farm. The first tour I went on was on Manihi, on shore, and it was extensive and very informative. The one I had on Rangiroa wasn't as extensive, but was still informative.

No ... there is a shuttle from the tender dock to town for no charge if the PG anchors in Moroe Bay. If the PG moors on the northwest side of the island the tender drops you off right in Fare.