Has anyone rented a car for the day in Barbados?

LadybugTraveler

My husband and I will be in Barbados for a port day in December. We're considering renting a car and driving around the island.

Has anyone does this? Is it worth it? I read that "Stoutes Rental Car" is right at the terminal. Any chance someone has rented with them before?

Thanks for any insights you can provide!

I would say go for it. We did we had a good time. The man how was running the car rental told us no he was not going to take the car back because it was to early go and enjoy yourself we told him we did everything we wanted to do. He ask us if we went to the beach we told him no he told us about a nice beach it was a 5 min drive we were glad he did that. I witch I know what beach we went to so we could go back. What days are you going?

We rented a car from Stoutes on our first time in Barbados in 2006. It was great! We rented a Moke. It was like the Flintstones car but with an engine. We made a clockwise lap around the island and saw a lot, all on our own time.

I would recommend getting a good map. The one Stoutes gave us helped but wasn't very detailed so we got lost a lot. Bridgetown is very confusing so be prepared to stop and ask directions. Have fun!

We rented a car from Stoutes on our first time in Barbados in 2006. It was great! We rented a Moke. It was like the Flintstones car but with an engine. We made a clockwise lap around the island and saw a lot, all on our own time.

I would recommend getting a good map. The one Stoutes gave us helped but wasn't very detailed so we got lost a lot. Bridgetown is very confusing so be prepared to stop and ask directions. Have fun!

How long did it take you to tour the island? Did you make many stops? We like to do things at our own pace. We'd love to find a beach to spend some time at too.

We had the car about 5-6 hours, from 9a until 2 or 3p. We headed north along the west coast, past the fancy resorts where Simon Cowell and the Premier League footballers stay. We took a right at Speightown and headed inland. We stopped breifly at Rosehill Manor (?) then stopped at a wide spot in the road with the most spectacular view of the east coast. We drove down to and toured the windmill. Then we drove down to the coast. From there we drove down to Bathsheba with its huge rock formations. From there we drove back inland to Gunsite Hill (?) and looked around there. Again, great views of the southern part of the island and Bridgetown.

We drove back to Bridgetown. That was the only downside. It's the worst traffic I have ever driven in. Worse than Boston! We course see the ship but couldn't figure out how to get there. We finally made our way back.

It is a lot of fun driving on the wrong side and the Moke was a blast! Just get a better map.

I have trawled a number of the tours available, also waiting for a reply from 'emanueltours' who have a section 'customised island tour'. We did a 1/2 day tour a couple of years back. I guess they also drive on the left like here in the UK :)

I have a good map and have read some of the places I would like to visit, but wonder whether doing all this in one day is a big ask? Also doing it this way round it would get the Bridgetown traffic out the way at the start.

Start Cruise terminal

*St. Ann's Fort (Garrison)

*Crane beach

*Bottom bay beach

*Morgan Lewis Wind Mill

*Cherry tree hill

*North Point

*Harrison’s Cave

*Welchman Hall Gully

Finish Cruise terminal

I guess would need to return to Ventura before 5pm, don't know what time it sails.

Keith (Southend, UK)