Thompson won't allow electric buggy

teksonic

My wife has difficulty walking, so we have invested in a battery powered buggy which has been specially designed for air travel. It's very light, folds up like a suitcase and wheels like a suitcase when folded. We have taken this on several P&O cruises and it's just great. It gives my wife lots of independence whilst on-board. We keep it in the cabin so it's not cluttering the passageways and lots of passengers have asked us where we bought it.

Last week I tried to book a cruise with Thompson cruises and they refused to have the buggy on the ship, ergo, Thompson are off our list of cruising companies. Does anyone know if other cruise lines refuse to let electric buggies on-board?

Duncan

I do believe there may be a communication problem with Thomson (verify company name). Who ever you contacted may not be familiar with “buggy”. I am assuming that you are referring to a mobile scooter which falls in the classification of electric wheelchairs for most purposes. Below is the information I found in regards to Thomson and transporting electric wheelchairs.

http://www.thomson.co.uk/editorial/faqs/disabled-passengers/general-information.html

For accessibility purposes, I recommend that you use “wheelchair” when making inquiries. Seems to be internationally understood.

Betty

th_bigbiker.gif

I do believe there may be a communication problem with Thomson (verify company name). Who ever you contacted may not be familiar with “buggy”. I am assuming that you are referring to a mobile scooter which falls in the classification of electric wheelchairs for most purposes. Below is the information I found in regards to Thomson and transporting electric wheelchairs.

http://www.thomson.co.uk/editorial/faqs/disabled-passengers/general-information.html

For accessibility purposes, I recommend that you use “wheelchair” when making inquiries. Seems to be internationally understood.

Betty

Thomson cruises does specifcally state that scooters ( AKA - "Buggy) are not allowed on any of its ships .

The following is copied directly from Thomson's website :

Passengers who need to use a wheelchair onboard must reserve one of the designated cabins.
Thomson Dream, Thomson Celebration, Island Escape and Thomson Spirit have four such cabins, whilst Thomson Destiny has two, as shown on the deck plans. These cabins have private facilities adapted for wheelchair users and have special access. Only standard size collapsible wheelchairs can be accepted.
We regret that battery operated wheelchairs or scooters cannot be accepted onboard any vessel.
Passengers confined to wheelchairs will not be able to go ashore in ports where a tender to shore is necessary. Depending on the port and tidal levels, it may not always be possible
for these passengers to leave the ship at all due to gangway access. Passengers using a wheelchair onboard must be accompanied by a fit and able companion able to assist them. If you are unable to use coach transfers or require assistance at the airport, assistance and taxis can be pre-booked at a charge. Our Special Assistance Team can arrange this for you. Proof of need will be required at the time of booking, such as your registered disabled number or a letter from your doctor

This is the link to the entire section http://www.thomson.co.uk/cruise/life-onboard/special-assistance.html

Thank you everyone and especially xxoocruiser for the link to that particular part of their website, and that's exactly what I was told when I spoke to them. I'll take cb at sea's advice and choose another cruise line.

Thank you everyone and especially xxoocruiser for the link to that particular part of their website, and that's exactly what I was told when I spoke to them. I'll take cb at sea's advice and choose another cruise line.

Any line that's US based will allow mobility scooters. But, if you speak to a person at any of those lines, make sure to use the term "mobility scooter". The term buggy in the US refers to what an infant is transported in.

[quote name=teksonic;32815073 a battery powered buggy which has been specially designed for air travel. It's very light' date=' folds up like a suitcase and wheels like a suitcase when folded. We have taken this on several P&O cruises and it's just great.

Duncan[/quote]

Hi Duncan Please could you put up the details? This sounds brilliant. Thanks:)

Here you go, this is the travel scooter we have, it's all aluminium and very light ....

http://www.mobilitydiscount.com/web/scooters/mini_traveler_supreme_electric_s.htm

We have the one with the standard seat because there are no arms to get in the way when you fold it down. We bought ours off ebay in the UK. In fact we liked it so much we bought a second one off ebay just in case one breaks down. I think we paid about £200.00 that's about $270.00

It's been all over the world and we take it right to the door of the plane, and usually it's waiting at the door when we get off. I'ts best on smooth flat surfaces like airports and ships decks. It can't go up ships gangways, but it's no problem, my wife gets off, I wheel it up the gangway, go back to help her, she gets back on and has the lift waiting ready for us to go up. So we are self sufficient.

There is one small drawback, the battery life is only 2 hours of travel which is approximately 4 hours of use, but that's a small price to pay for a great little scooter. When we are out and about on tours or in the ports, I take the charger with me, and that's small and light as well, and plug it into the cafe's or restaurant's electricity sockets and keep it topped up that way.

The ships waiters love it, when they see my wife getting ready to leave the table, there's a rush to see which one can ride the scooter to her first.

Dunc

Archived