Single Mom---Best Cruise??

I want to take my children on a cruise for my 50th bday. It is our first. The kids will be 13 and 11. I just can't decide!!! I think I have narrowed it down, but I am stuck. Help!! Planning on April 2016. Carnival Breeze for 6 days, Royal Carribean Enchanment of the Seas or should I just splurge and go with Disney? I worry about my kids safety and whether or not to let themselves in and out of the kids clubs? I don't necessarily worry about them making bad choices, but you never know. Also, my son is not the most social of kids. (he will be 13) Thanks in advance.

There is a forum here for family cruising, under Special Interest Cruising. You will get lots of suggestions there about cruising with children. As for cruise line, unless your kids are wild about the Disney characters/experience, don't waste your money there. EM

Different cruiselines have slightly different rules about kids being able to sign themselves out (depending on their ages), but definitely the 13-year-old will have this freedom. But for the younger one...the last time my daughter was in the preteen grouping (on Princess), I had the choice whether she got that privilege or not. She was 8 and I thought she was too young to sign herself out. But the older kids seem to all have the go-ahead. Certainly the 11 and 12 year olds.

An option for you is to tell your kids that whenever they leave the kids' program, they need to come directly to you and check in. (if you're not going to be in the room,it's still easy...leave a note in the cabin as to your location). If one of them fails to do this, he or she will lose their freedom for a day. Definitely they are not to go to any one else's cabin or let others in your cabin without your permission. If they're going to drink sodas, get them each a soda card (no sharing) and tell them if they put down a drink and not watching it, get a new drink.

As for being social, have the kids go the first night for the orientation. They'll meet the other kids. That's important for the teens, especially.

For the most part, there's not too much to worry about in terms of safety. Just give your expectations and rules and they'll enjoy themselves so much, they'll want to be good so they can go on another cruise.

Carnival has allot to offer for those want to be independent youths. I hope your kids like each other and plan on sticking together that way I would be less concerned. You could get walkie talkies to make them stay in contact with you. Lots of people use them but as long as you use your fun times and set schedules and keep them you should be fine . Reward them for being where they are supposed to and if they aren't where they should be revoke their privileges. Go to the Carnival web site or call them for details on your options. Check out my travel blog http://www.atouristlife.com have a safe trip