San Juan

NoVa Mimi

Well, I am really suffering from sticker shock! In pricing tickets to San Juan for July of 2008 on United from Washington Dulles to San Juan I am seeing seats for over $700! We have been on United to San Juan two other times and usually get fares around $300. I know it's early, but my goodness! Has anyone been able to secure tickets at a somewhat reasonable price? We have miles we can use on United, but it looks like we may have to purchase one of the three seats. American recently has been running much less than United, but again we need to use United for the miles. I am wondering if it will go down in the coming months.

Well, I am really suffering from sticker shock! In pricing tickets to San Juan for July of 2008 on United from Washington Dulles to San Juan I am seeing seats for over $700!

Its waaaaaaay to early to even think about buying a ticket. The prices will go down closer to your cruise.

Air to San Juan is a major problem for the cruise industry.

I can almost always fly to San Juan from Ohio for under $250.

From what airport and airline were you able to find tickets for $250? I have a cruise in April and I too hoping the price comes down some. I have been checking daily and they started to creep up today.

I know I have time I just get nervous that the price will really jump.

I think you are a little early too.....jetblue isn't even selling that far out yet. $700-800 seems really high! We paid less than $200 each from JFK on AA (a few years back but still!)

Using random dates in mid july AA is about $245---I know you have miles, but you can get 3 tickets for $700 instead of just one....so maybe you might want to save your miles?? As for why UAL's fares are so high......they need coffee! THAT is ridiculous!

(could you try BWI or DCA???)

From what airport and airline were you able to find tickets for $250? I have a cruise in April and I too hoping the price comes down some. I have been checking daily and they started to creep up today.

I know I have time I just get nervous that the price will really jump.

I plopped random mid-july dates on AA and found IAD to SJU for $242 and change--they had a nonstop too...didn't look at flight times....

Thanks for the info! I know I'm too early, I'll check in a couple of months. I actually saw the AA fares (that made the $700 even worse!) and I know that AA has their own terminal in San Juan, I just have to check our mileage status regarding the expiration, as I know it's creeping up...I just don't want to miss out on using the miles. Thanks again!!

This is what I'm afraid of. We fly from Pittsburgh, and sometimes its hard to get good fares as only a couple discount airlines fly out of here and everybody took their hubs away. I want to go out of San Juan, but from what I have seen for next june, just checking, it was 400. I know its early, but still.

I have been watching air Philly to San Juan for January 2008 since June when we booked our cruise. It has basically stayed at 352 RT, but I haven't booked yet, hoping it will come down some. (Last year for January we paid $302)....but I'm getting nervous that we don't have air booked. $352 isn't terrible, but I wish my crystal ball could predict if they would drop a little next week. Somewhere I heard that September you may catch a drop in price for a few weeks ....... Any crystal ball readers out there?:D

We are so cheap when it comes to air fare, I swear we squeek! :) Some of my favorite sites are http://www.cheapoair.com and http://www.kayak.com. They seem to have excellent prices (sometimes up to 40% lower than the airlines sites). I've found as well that the 90 day window is usually the best time to buy and that prices are traditionally lower on Wednesdays than any other day of the week. We're traveling on US Air vouchers this year so we got $300 off of each ticket (Boston to San Juan).

Hope this helps!

Georgia

I was very unhappy when we had to pay 430 last April, out of Chicago, but we were working school dates and wanted to be there a day ahead of the cruise. I needed 5 tickets and was worried we wouldn't all be able to get on the same flight, so I finally paid the price. That was 4 months before the cruise. Good Luck

The best I can do from Chicago Ohare to San Juan for Nov 17th is $639 per person..ouch! Got excited about a $189 RT 3 day sale through United but flying on 16th is blackout date and 15th would mean 2 nights hotel so may have to bite the bullet at $639.

OUCH!!

We booked our Detroit-San Juan (US Air) in May for a Nov cruise and found it for $300 per person. I was so excited as I remember paying over $500 pp in the past.

My parents also booked their flight in May for a Nov cruise from Chicago-San Juan (AA) for $300 as well---hang in there, they should go down. :)

I've been watching fares from PHL to SJU on April 25 to May 4. Last week they were $373 round trip (plus taxes & fees) on U.S. Air. Over the past week, they've slowly climbed to now be $1107 per person for the same dates. I think I'll sit and wait until November/December to book fares in hopes that they will come down.

I am looking for airfare from Chicago or Detroit for August 10-17 of 2008. I hoping to find a fare around $300 or under. I guess I might be looking to early also. Because I am not finding that price. Any suggestions or help.

Thanks

Sweetnlow

you are probably too early....some airlines don't sell farther than 300 days ahead...try again in mid october.....

I'm not a "wait and see" kind of person when it comes to flights. I always wanted to cruise Southern Carib but whenever I looked at the flights, they were $700+ for Presidents Week (from NYC) when we cruise. So, in March when I saw flights at $350 roundtrip, I got my cruise friends together and we decided to finally do the Southern Caribbean. We all got the great rates and the flight times we wanted (all nonstop).

Just checked kayak.com and the flights are now up to $659 (for nonstop). They will only go up (and we are close to 5 months out).

Our fares are LESS than what I paid to go to Florida last year (over school holidays).

It's helpful to have a general idea of what the flights usually are so you know when you are getting a good deal. Sometimes, you just have to bite the bullet, because that's just what fares are.

I'm not a "wait and see" kind of person when it comes to flights. I always wanted to cruise Southern Carib but whenever I looked at the flights, they were $700+ for Presidents Week (from NYC) when we cruise. So, in March when I saw flights at $350 roundtrip, I got my cruise friends together and we decided to finally do the Southern Caribbean. We all got the great rates and the flight times we wanted (all nonstop).

Just checked kayak.com and the flights are now up to $659 (for nonstop). They will only go up (and we are close to 5 months out).

Our fares are LESS than what I paid to go to Florida last year (over school holidays).

It's helpful to have a general idea of what the flights usually are so you know when you are getting a good deal. Sometimes, you just have to bite the bullet, because that's just what fares are.

I agree. I bit the bullet today and bought for next April. Price was $760 pp from Vancouver to San Juan with only one stop. Flight times were good, connections good. Didn't seem worth while to wait.

In looking for flights from the Midwest, the cheaper ones have several stops along the way. My DH refuses to do these - more places to loose our luggage and who wants to spend an entire day in airports. We avoid Miami airport if at all possible- unless they have all the renovations completed it is really awful.:eek:

It is all about what you are willing to put up with for a price. ;)

Archived