Will there be Cabanas on Koningsdam?

Shepsue

One thing that means is the cabanas aren't easily accessible to the disabled. :mad:

At least they weren't on the Nieuw Amsterdam, when I tried to take a look to see if I wanted to rent one.

In what way? If I recall correctly the Retreat/Cabana Club area it's just a walk out from the elevator lobby and you go around a corner. The lido cabanas you can just pass as you walk through the pool area.

Obviously I don't get around in a wheelchair so I don't think of things like that necessarily, but I can't think of anything that would really prevent that. Not saying there isn't... but curious what it might have been

In what way? If I recall correctly the Retreat/Cabana Club area it's just a walk out from the elevator lobby and you go around a corner. The lido cabanas you can just pass as you walk through the pool area.

Obviously I don't get around in a wheelchair so I don't think of things like that necessarily, but I can't think of anything that would really prevent that. Not saying there isn't... but curious what it might have been

I agree. On two of my cruises there were people on scooters in the retreat cabana area. On the Noordam they have an elevator specifically to go up to the retreat cabanas.

In what way? If I recall correctly the Retreat/Cabana Club area it's just a walk out from the elevator lobby and you go around a corner.

When you wheel off the forward elevator on the Nieuw Amsterdam, and turn aft, the exit to the Retreat area is easily spotted. There's a short ramp up to a heavy wooden door to get outside. There is no electric eye, nor is there a button to push, to open that door and hold it open to wheel through.

There is also no way to contact the Retreat stewards to come and hold the door open to pass through.

This is a problem in many areas on many of the ships when someone is trying to get outside while in a wheelchair or scooter. Some doors on some ships have an electric eye. There are a few doors on some ships that one who is somewhat mobile can get up, open, pass through, then come back and close the doors.

On the Noordam they have an elevator specifically to go up to the retreat cabanas.

The comparison was to the Nieuw Amsterdam, not the Noordam.

If there was a special elevator to the Retreat area on the Nieuw Amsterdam, I did not find it. There were no signs directing the disabled to it, and it was not on the little map given to passengers on boarding.

Edited by RuthC

The comparison was to the Nieuw Amsterdam, not the Noordam.

If there was a special elevator to the Retreat area on the Nieuw Amsterdam, I did not find it. There were no signs directing the disabled to it, and it was not on the little map given to passengers on boarding.

Yes, I understand this is about the NA. I was speaking of the Noordam for anyone that might be interested. I'm sorry that I didn't make that crystal clear. It is for information purposes only. Nowhere in my post did I say the NA had the elevator :confused:. It may not be of interest to you but it may be to others.

Edited by cruz chic

When you wheel off the forward elevator on the Nieuw Amsterdam, and turn aft, the exit to the Retreat area is easily spotted. There's a short ramp up to a heavy wooden door to get outside. There is no electric eye, nor is there a button to push, to open that door and hold it open to wheel through.

There is also no way to contact the Retreat stewards to come and hold the door open to pass through.

This is a problem in many areas on many of the ships when someone is trying to get outside while in a wheelchair or scooter. Some doors on some ships have an electric eye. There are a few doors on some ships that one who is somewhat mobile can get up, open, pass through, then come back and close the doors.

Being a full-time wheelchair user, I agree that the cabanas on the Eurodam and Nieuw Amsterdam are difficult to access independently. The short, steep ramps combined with the heavy door can be difficult to navigate. A simple automatic door would help. That doesn't stop me from booking them though. I love the retreat cabanas!

The same problem exists with access to verandahs in accessible cabins. This is my number one complaint on HAL ships. Once again, a simple automatic door would solve the problem. I commented on Captain Albert's blog about the current accessibility issues to verandahs and asked if he had seen the accessible cabins on the Koningsdam. He replied that at that time, the verandah cabins were not accessible as their interiors were still being fitted out. I've made reference to these issues on every post-cruise survey and hope the new ship addresses them, but I'm not holding my breath.

Edited by 510picker

Being a full-time wheelchair user, I agree that the cabanas on the Eurodam and Nieuw Amsterdam are difficult to access independently. The short, steep ramps combined with the heavy door can be difficult to navigate. A simple automatic door would help. That doesn't stop me from booking them though. I love the retreat cabanas!

How do you get out there? I sat there trying to figure out a way, and just wasn't able.

I would love to know, in case the opportunity and desire ever are in sync again.

Thanks.

Yes, I understand this is about the NA. I was speaking of the Noordam for anyone that might be interested. I'm sorry that I didn't make that crystal clear.

Well, thank you for that clarification. When you quoted one topic I hadn't realized you had switched to another.

Personally, I dislike all the cabanas as much as I dislike MUTS. I always loved HAL ships for being real ships - even seeing the cabanas perched on the top of the ships leaves me cold, and having them on the lido deck detracts from the public space.

Well, thank you for that clarification. When you quoted one topic I hadn't realized you had switched to another.

You are very welcome. I was speaking about cabanas in general and added the information about the Noordam. I'm sorry you were confused.

How do you get out there? I sat there trying to figure out a way, and just wasn't able.

I would love to know, in case the opportunity and desire ever are in sync again.

Thanks.

Pure determination and will power :) I am paraplegic, 44 and have been in a wheelchair since I was 23. I use a manual wheelchair and have good upper-body strength, so I am able to access the cabanas, but it's a challenge.

The accessibility issue to the retreat cabanas is something that HAL should address. Having used the retreat cabanas on the NA, I don't think it would be a difficult or particularly expensive project. Keep on pressing HAL on this issue. Perhaps there is someone in HAL head office that deals with accessibility issues that you can contact.

The accessibility issue to the retreat cabanas is something that HAL should address. Having used the retreat cabanas on the NA, I don't think it would be a difficult or particularly expensive project. Keep on pressing HAL on this issue. Perhaps there is someone in HAL head office that deals with accessibility issues that you can contact.

There's a dept called Access and Compliance - they're the ones that handle forms if you need to let them know about limited mobility, wheelchairs, allergies, etc.

From HAL's website:

Phone: 1-800‐547‐8493 or 206‐281‐3535 (ext. 4514)

TTY: 1-800‐254‐8669

Pure determination and will power :) I am paraplegic, 44 and have been in a wheelchair since I was 23. I use a manual wheelchair and have good upper-body strength, so I am able to access the cabanas, but it's a challenge.

I admire the way you're able to figure out how to do things.

I'm in a scooter, so reaching the doors, then holding them open while I drive through is a puzzle I haven't figured out yet.

The accessibility issue to the retreat cabanas is something that HAL should address.

Not just there, either!

There are some areas on some ships where there are two sets of double glass doors, one of which may (or may not) have an electric eye. Those doors will stay open if you push them that way.

I am able to get off my scooter, open the doors, ride through, then get off again and close them. In most areas, that is. In some places the doors don't stay open on their own. Besides, not everyone is able to get up, open them, etc.

Sometimes, to get out on the Lido aft, I sit in front of the closed doors waiting for a smoker to come through and hold the doors open. Hope they never remove that smoking area! :D