Walking Out of Port Everglades

kelmac

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to come back and give you a follow up from our Century Panama Canal cruise. I had asked over on the Princess board, since their ships use Pier #2 and #4, if it was possible to pull your luggage out of the port over to our Hotel (Renaissance on 17th street). Some folks said it was indeed possible.

The Century docked at Pier #4 and we walked out of the terminal and turned left under the parking structure driveways, over to the sidewalk that heads west toward Eisenhower Blvd; at Eisenhower you turn right and walk towards 17th street; across the street and enter the back entrance of the Renaissance.

My guess was about 600 -- 800 yards total walking and our luggage held up with no problem. Maybe 10 -- 15 minutes at the most. We love to walk, so it felt comfortable and we avoided making a taxi drive us that short distance. In addition, we skipped the taxi line which appeared to be slow moving (20 -- 30 minute wait).

People staying at the Holiday Inn Express and the Extended Stay America could pull it off. The Hilton Ft Lauderdale Marina is at the outer limits because of the awkward sidewalk path. The Hyatt Pier 66 would be too difficult. It is ideal for the Renaissance!

This will only work from Piers 2 and 4. Much too far from the others, and they lack sidewalks.

If you have questions, let me know.

Kel:)

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to come back and give you a follow up from our Century Panama Canal cruise. I had asked over on the Princess board, since their ships use Pier #2 and #4, if it was possible to pull your luggage out of the port over to our Hotel (Renaissance on 17th street). Some folks said it was indeed possible.

The Century docked at Pier #4 and we walked out of the terminal and turned left under the parking structure driveways, over to the sidewalk that heads west toward Eisenhower Blvd; at Eisenhower you turn right and walk towards 17th street; across the street and enter the back entrance of the Renaissance.

My guess was about 600 -- 800 yards total walking and our luggage held up with no problem. Maybe 10 -- 15 minutes at the most. We love to walk, so it felt comfortable and we avoided making a taxi drive us that short distance. In addition, we skipped the taxi line which appeared to be slow moving (20 -- 30 minute wait).

People staying at the Holiday Inn Express and the Extended Stay America could pull it off. The Hilton Ft Lauderdale Marina is at the outer limits because of the awkward sidewalk path. The Hyatt Pier 66 would be too difficult. It is ideal for the Renaissance!

This will only work from Piers 2 and 4. Much too far from the others, and they lack sidewalks.

If you have questions, let me know.

Kel:)

Hi Kelly, glad it worked for you and Lauren:)...but some of us

have no desire to take our luggage and walk over there after a

cruise;).....sailing solo, I have absolutely no desire to wheel my

luggage through the port to the hotel......part of the difference

might be that it was the 2 of you together and that you enjoy

walking.

Going on my own? No thanks on both counts......

walking.

Lois, could not agree more. I'll gladly spend the cab fare, as I don't want to schlep luggage.

walking.

Lois, could not agree more. I'll gladly spend the cab fare, as I don't want to schlep luggage.

Hi Lois and Darcie,

It's not for everyone!:) Lauren and I have our luggage situation under control now. Only two mid-size rolling pieces (one a garment bag), which I can handle and Lauren has the rolling back-pack. Not as bad as it sounds.

To us, it felt better moving, compared to standing in the taxi line.

Add to that -- 15 days of Celebrity food -- we needed the exercise!!!:eek:

Kel