Having a packing panic-someone help

Laurba99

You will not need a hair dryer, as they are provided in the state room, usually in the vanity drawer.

My recommendation to help with packing is to take over some of your DH's suitcase. Men usually do not take as much as women, so I "borrow" some of my husband's suitcase space, if I can't quite fit everything in mine. For instance, I'll put all of my clothes in my bag, but put the items like sunscreen, bug spray, toiletries, etc, in his bag.

After many years of travel and cruising our advice would be similar to others.

Take half as many clothes and twice as much money. The earlier you start packing, the more you will return with unworn, unused. Only pack as much as you can physically handle by yourself. Avail yourself of the ships laundry facilities. No one cares if you have two pairs or twenty pairs of shoes. You can only wear one pair at a time. Are you a traveller or a travelling shoe salesperson?

There are some very silly notions out there that make zero sense to anyone who travels. We have heard so many of them. So why can't someone wear the same outfit twice, what is really so terrible about wearing white after Labour Day. Or our favourite...you need to dress like a local so they won't know you are a tourist.

We first started limiting ourselves to a max of 7 days worth of clothing and a few pairs of shoes a few years ago.. One week or eight weeks was the same. We are now down to carry on only now with 19/20 inch rollers. We currently travel for 6-8 weeks at a time, cruises are often part of that. We enjoy travel far more now that we are not burdened by excess baggage and we can each easily physically handle our luggage with ease. Not implying that this is for everyone but we have found that less is better. And easier.

Edited by iancal

After many years of travel and cruising our advice would be similar to others.

Take half as many clothes and twice as much money. The earlier you start packing, the more you will return with unworn, unused. Only pack as much as you can physically handle by yourself. Avail yourself of the ships laundry facilities. No one cares if you have two pairs or twenty pairs of shoes. You can only wear one pair at a time. Are you a traveller or a travelling shoe salesperson?

There are some very silly notions out there that make zero sense to anyone who travels. We have heard so many of them. So why can't someone wear the same outfit twice, what is really so terrible about wearing white after Labour Day. Or our favourite...you need to dress like a local so they won't know you are a tourist.

We first started limiting ourselves to a max of 7 days worth of clothing and a few pairs of shoes a few years ago.. One week or eight weeks was the same. We are now down to carry on only now with 19/20 inch rollers. We currently travel for 6-8 weeks at a time, cruises are often part of that. We enjoy travel far more now that we are not burdened by excess baggage and we can each easily physically handle our luggage with ease. Not implying that this is for everyone but we have found that less is better. And easier.

I pack similarly. I re wear clothes frequently and plan on doing laundry regularly - whether that's sending it out or washing it in the bathroom sink. The only reason my big duffel bag is coming on my upcoming Arctic trip is because I need to bring the knee high waterproof boots for wet landings. Otherwise I travel with a carry on and a backpack. Having minimal luggage really helps with the land part of the trip. Lugging 50# suitcases onto and off of trains and buses, and hauling it up flights of stairs to a rented apartment gets old really fast!

I am no expert but a 54 night cruise and then 3 weeks in the UK hardened me up as I had to fly to start my cruise with only 20kgs of luggage. Nobody cares or remembers what you wear, I take black pants for dinner and a few very lightweight tops. It's all the other stuff that traps you, shoes, limit t three pair, you can do it. Sunscreens, insect repellents, beauty products on a long cruise leave them behind and stock up at first port if suitable or on ship at the store. The extra price is better than having an overweight bag.

I have now changed to an ultra lightweight bag after getting stuck in Genoa at the station. No lift from the platform, just approx 20 stone stairs. Ended up just letting my roller duffel go down the stairs on its own. It survived and I learnt the hard way, you have to be able to handle your own luggage.

I have not perfected the packing thing, so I am taking more cruises until I get it right. Lol

Malfunctioning elevators in Italian railway stations, older hotels with no lifts, the Metro in Paris, the Tube in London, and renting small cars with smaller trunks in Europe, ferrys in Greece, Turkey, Croatia all played a signfiant part in getting us down to a carry on each.

Plus, as we age we care more about personal safety and ability to physically handle our bag than we do about Vogue magazine.

Malfunctioning elevators in Italian railway stations, older hotels with no lifts, the Metro in Paris, the Tube in London, and renting small cars with smaller trunks in Europe, ferrys in Greece, Turkey, Croatia all played a significant part in getting us down to a carry on each.

Plus, as we age we care more about personal safety and ability to physically handle our bag than we do about Vogue or People magazine.

Airline luggage fees never entered the equation for us even though that is what some people assume.

Edited by iancal