La Rochelle - main attractions

Ecuador

La Rochelle has a very charming, historic Old Port (Vieux Port) area that is well worth walking around. Several towers you can climb if you'd like. Nice shops. I had the best Nutella crepe ever there. I can still taste it. :)

Easy to do your own walking tour, there's plenty of info and maps on line.

A truly pleasant port call; enjoy!

LaRochelleVieuxPort_zps2bfbedb0.jpg

(photo by turtles06)

We were there two years ago and spent a lovely morning wandering around the charming harbor area and checking out their great market. We followed this by stopping in at a little cafe and sampling their famous savory buckwheat crepes.

We were there a couple of years ago also. Lovely town to explore. Would love to spend more time there. We were on a small cruise ship (112 passengers) and we docked inside the old German base from WWII. We were right by the submarine pens. It was an interesting docking experience. We were bused into the city. Not sure you can go there on your own. That port area was being used that day for loading grain.

• 3 weeks later...

We are going to La Rochelle in June this year on P&O Azura, we are scheduled to dock at La Pallice which from what I understand is the main port for La Rochelle, does anybody know if shuttle buses are provided (free or chargeable)

and if we can get a taxi into La Rochelle from the ship as this might well be a better option as we are a party of 4.