Guarentee Experiences

pinkroses

We are booking quite close to sailaway ( one month out) and many of the categories are guarentee cabins. Anyone have good luck with these? Thanks.

We've done 4 guarantees. One was for an inside and we got an OV. Three were for a "W" suite guarantee, and we got 2 JS and 1 GS.

A guarantee can be a good way to some some money, but you have to be happy with wherever they put you.

Edited by clarea

Once you get assigned a cabin, you actually can request a change to another cabin in the same category. I've done it twice with the help of my TA. It helps if you know the cabin number to which you want to change and if it is on the same level just a better location. For example, I changed from a cabin way up front to one mid-ship as soon as I saw that it was available. Same category, same deck. Sometimes cabins in good location become available at final payment date.

We are booking quite close to sailaway ( one month out) and many of the categories are guarentee cabins. Anyone have good luck with these? Thanks.
Consider the worst (in your opinion) cabin they could assign you - are you happy (remembering that you are saving money)? We took one GTY a week before sailing and got what (to me) was the worst cabin - absolutely as far forward as existed - but I was happy at the price. Last month Indy had inside GTYs, and the only insides they were still listing for sale were Promenade Views (PR), so we signed up hoping for a PR (but willing to accept whatever), and in less than 2 days were assigned a non-connecting (our preference) PR. So, yes, we have been happy with our GTYs.

Thom

We booked a W Junior Suite guarantee on Allure for Spring Break. About 6 days before final payment, we received a Deck 6 Junior Suite on the hump. We changed to a Deck 8 Junior Suite on the hump and added a D4 connecting cabin for only $50 more than our original fare. Very pleased with how things worked out.

I have done a gty twice - The first time on Freedom in 2009 - I grabbed a balcony gty for only $75 more than my inside. Ended up with 1536 - an E1 (?) on deck 10 that had a connecting door to another room. I was happy to have a balcony for what I had paid.

I did a suite GTY last year for my 3 night EN trip. Ended up with a deck 7 aft wake view cabin (I love aft so I was very happy) The gty was available when I booked last minute for essentially the same price as a balcony.

I have been happy in both cases because the savings made it worth having RCCL select my cabin. In most cases, I prefer to select my cabin.

I agree with cleara and traveler thom - make sure you will be happy with whatever you consider the "worst" room in the guarantee category. Don't count on being able to change if or go back in the pool - in the case of my freedom cruise once they assigned the gtys there were no rooms to switch to.

Edited by vavasmom

I booked a W GTY once and got a GS. I was travelling alone too so I was super happy :D ... Just a shame it was before the extra cruise points for solo travellers...

Like most others have said, consider what your 'worst case' scenario would be and if you are happy with that, go for it! It depends entirely on you, the ship and the itinerary!

Happy cruising :)

You will get at least the cabin category you book the guarantee at, and sometimes better. There is nothing else that can be said with any authority.

Edited by reedl