Halifax Whale Watching Advice

CHEZMARYLOU

We will be in Halifax on October 2 and have a whale watching excursion booked through the ship. It is only 2 1/2 hours long and I don't think it goes into the bay. Is this trip going to be worth it or should we look for something else to do in Halifax?

We will be in Halifax on October 2 and have a whale watching excursion booked through the ship. It is only 2 1/2 hours long and I don't think it goes into the bay. Is this trip going to be worth it or should we look for something else to do in Halifax?

If I was in Halifax I personally would go out to Peggy's Cove or just walk the around the the town visiting Citadel Hill and other places that are in town.

Search for Halifax Tourism on the web.

Unless your going about 100 miles out your unlikely to see whales.

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Forums mobile app

Thanks for the replies, you've confirmed our decision to cancel the whale watch. We just returned from Baja California & Baja California Sur where we petted and actually kissed a whale. Except for our whale watches last year in Alaska, everything else has paled in comparison.

Peggy's Cove it is.

We have great whale watching in the Bay of Fundy where if you can see huge whales including the Right Whale. There is also good whale watching off the west coast of Cape Breton.

If you wish to get to Peggy's Cove ahead of the bus tours, rent a car. If you want help with this let us know.

• 3 weeks later...
Hi,

Yes, I would like to know more information about renting a car at Peggys Cove. We are only there a short time on Oct 1, but I would like to tour independently. Is that wise...we don't speak French. Thanks!

Nova Scotia is generally English speaking. The road signs will be in English. If you where in Montreal or Quebec City I would be worried about needing French.

Hello

This is the first time I have ever posted and I can only hope I'm doing it right and I'm in the right thread. :)

My wife and I will be in Halifax this year on Sept 29. I contacted a couple private tour companies that are highly regarded. However we can't afford the total cost by ourselves. I was hoping the companies would put us on their list and just add four more people to the van. Long story short. They both said we need to find 4 other people ourselves. (The cost of the van is 55.00 an hour which for six people seems reasonable)

Would appreciate any help anyone might be able to offer. Thanks, John :)