Skagway - rental car - worth driving to Whitehorse?

flatlander321

On May 20 this year, we will rent a car, already reserved with Avis, and drive the Klondike highway from Skagway. I've read many turn around at Emerald Lake, but is there an advantage to going on to Whitehorse? We're in port from 7am-8pm so time should not be an issue. Another thought was if we drive to Whitehorse, would it be interesting to drive the Alaskan Highway 15-20 miles to Jake's Corner then come back through Tagish to Carcross on the way back to Skagway?

I rented a car in Skagway as well a week after you. Never been but I'm a photographer and looking forward to seeing the beautiful scenery and taking lots of pictures. Do you have a specific itinerary you are following? The lady at Avia sent sent me something with the highlights. I know I want to go to emerald lake but not sure what else yet.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I've driven to Whitehorse several times, because of "obligations". :) Harley store was one of them. :)

NO it is not worth the effort, since the scenery completely drops off past Emerald Lake, and you won't have time to do any activities that are worthwhile in Whitehorse.

I rented a car in Skagway as well a week after you. Never been but I'm a photographer and looking forward to seeing the beautiful scenery and taking lots of pictures. Do you have a specific itinerary you are following? The lady at Avia sent sent me something with the highlights. I know I want to go to emerald lake but not sure what else yet.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Purchase Murray's Guide.

I've driven to Whitehorse several times, because of "obligations". Harley store was one of them.

NO it is not worth the effort, since the scenery completely drops off past Emerald Lake, and you won't have time to do any activities that are worthwhile in Whitehorse.

That's too bad, I'm always looking for excuses to drive especially with unlimited mileage and a rental car.

Purchase Murray's Guide.

I have purchased this and would recommend it to others.

VegasChic, we will make many roadside stops for photos. I'm also an amateur photographer and will have a tripod ready in the car trunk. We are stopping at Caribou Crossing to see the animals, husky puppies, and the taxidermy museum.

Edited by flatlander321

On May 20 this year, we will rent a car, already reserved with Avis, and drive the Klondike highway from Skagway. I've read many turn around at Emerald Lake, but is there an advantage to going on to Whitehorse? We're in port from 7am-8pm so time should not be an issue. Another thought was if we drive to Whitehorse, would it be interesting to drive the Alaskan Highway 15-20 miles to Jake's Corner then come back through Tagish to Carcross on the way back to Skagway?

There really isn't any reason to go pass the Carcross Desert. The best scenery is between Fraser and Carcross.You could over to Jakes Corner from Carcross and return the same way. If done the loop from Whitehorse to Carcross and return to Whitehorse via Jakes corner. It's about fifty miles of boring highway .

• 2 weeks later...

we drove to Whitehorse and then wish we hadnt. there wasnt much to see. and we should have spent that time enjoying the beautiful scenery instead! I would turn around.....but that is just MOI

good luck and enjoy your drive!!!